Ignacio "Nacho" Gonzalez

Willow

Guest Heneage

why did valencia buy him then sell him straight away with the player saying he wanted to make the move permanent at the start of the season. Strange, can anyone shed some light on this?

They've not sold him they loaned him, I'm guessing he doesn't have a Spanish passport so they would count as a foreigner meaning he would have to play for the Valencia B side (Name escapes me) so they probably figured loaning him here would be good, money off the wage bill, chance to play.

why did valencia buy him then sell him straight away with the player saying he wanted to make the move permanent at the start of the season. Strange, can anyone shed some light on this?

They've not sold him they loaned him, I'm guessing he doesn't have a Spanish passport so they would count as a foreigner meaning he would have to play for the Valencia B side (Name escapes me) so they probably figured loaning him here would be good, money off the wage bill, chance to play.

Why get him then?

Why get him then?

"money off the wage bill, chance to play"

Why get him then?

Exactly, why did Valencia get him if they wanted him off the wage bill at the earliest opportunity?

Guest Heneage

Because moneys tight. If they get him off for a season, then they can ship off bigger earners like Morientes at the end of this season, freeing up more funds. He clearly was never going to be an integral part, more a squad player, he's only 26 so one season allowing him to get minutes seemed a good idea. Look at Manucho.

Why get him then?

Exactly, why did Valencia get him if they wanted him off the wage bill at the earliest opportunity?

Why get him then?

They've got enough midfielders as it is. They probably sent him out on loan so they could get a good look at him and decide what to do with him in the future (either take him back or try and get their money back by selling him permanently).

He was co-owned by another club. Valencia bought out their part of the contract and I imagine their aim was to loan him to us and if he did well they'd sell him to us for a decent profit.

That's generally what goes on.

He was co-owned by another club. Valencia bought out their part of the contract

No, I don't think he was actually. He played for some Uruguayan club who then lent him to Monaco if I recall correctly. After his loan term Valencia got him on a long term contract.

No, I don't think he was actually. He played for some Uruguayan club who then lent him to Monaco if I recall correctly. After his loan term Valencia got him on a long term contract.

Aye you're right, I just checked and can't find anything about him being co-owned. God knows where I got that from then.

I'm with everyone else then.. what are Valencia playing about at? Ey? Ey?

Aye you're right, I just checked and can't find anything about him being co-owned. God knows where I got that from then.

I'm with everyone else then.. what are Valencia playing about at? Ey? Ey?

:lol:

Maybe Valencia bought him, saw him train, then realised the rick they'd made re: his fitness.

Do we even know what's up with him like? Achilles or summat?

We'd agreed to sign him before he'd even travelled to Spain.

I vaguely remember the co-owned thing, Danubio had 50%, Valencia had the other 50% iirc.

Maybe Valencia bought him, saw him train, then realised the rick they'd made re: his fitness.

Do we even know what's up with him like? Achilles or summat?

We'd agreed to sign him before he'd even travelled to Spain.

I vaguely remember the co-owned thing, Danubio had 50%, Valencia had the other 50% iirc.

This is what I thought, but I had a quick look through the original thread and on a few sites and couldn't find anything about it.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4074606,00.html

Newcastle have agreed a loan deal for Valencia's Uruguay international Ignacio Gonzalez, according to the Spanish club.

The midfielder only joined Los Che over the summer, but with Unai Emery's squad currently well stocked in that department he has been allowed to move on.

The South American is expected to sign a season-long deal on Tyneside, although he will not join up with his new team-mates until he returns from international duty.

Gonzalez is due to represent his country in 2010 World Cup qualifiers against Colombia and Ecuador on 6th and 10th September respectively.

Reports in Spain suggest the 26-year-old has already passed a medical at St James' Park, with the paperwork set to be pushed through before the transfer window closes on Monday.

"We have many players who can play in midfield and this is an excellent solution for both sides," Valencia vice-president Fernando Gomez told reporters after Saturday's game with Mallorca.

"We expect the formalities to be completed on Monday morning."

Valencia paid upwards of £5m for him. If they part-owned him to the tune of 50% for example, then that would mean his market value would in the realm of at least £10m. Not likely.

Guest firetotheworks

So we've struggled with bodies in central midfield all season and now he might be fit when everyone else is fit and available so he won't get picked. Typical.

Not really. Guthrie and Barton are still out/Butt and Smith are still terrible.