The other games today - 2008/09

Dave

I can't believe so many people want an all English final.  You do know this means the teams in our league will get bigger and bigger and richer and richer? 

i can't believe that in 2009 people are so parochial and xenophobic regarding a competition they have no vested interest in going to another english club, the fans and players of whom you'll likely be spouting venom at when they play NUFC in days/weeks/months to come

always blew my mind that, people should want the best team to win when they're not involved and the best team on the planet this season is barca

The best team will be the one that wins the competition, in fairness ;)

Pretty sure any of the three English teams could beat Barca over two legs. Pretty certain that any of the three would dominate La Liga too.

I can't believe so many people want an all English final.  You do know this means the teams in our league will get bigger and bigger and richer and richer? 

i can't believe that in 2009 people are so parochial and xenophobic regarding a competition they have no vested interest in going to another english club, the fans and players of whom you'll likely be spouting venom at when they play NUFC in days/weeks/months to come

always blew my mind that, people should want the best team to win when they're not involved and the best team on the planet this season is barca

Pretty sure any of the three English teams could beat Barca over two legs. Pretty certain that any of the three would dominate La Liga too.

missed the point dude

I am English, I have a vested interest in  the Champions League as I watch it through out the season & my preference is I would like to see a English club win the Champions League is that so hard to comprehend in 2009?

missed the point dude

Not really. You're saying people should want the best team to win, rather than just choosing an English side? Well I think most people do.

I am English, I have a vested interest in  the Champions League as I watch it through out the season & my preference is I would like to see a English club win the Champions League is that so hard to comprehend in 2009?

the champions league is a club competition, and i presume you support NUFC, so i see no relevance in your nationality and the outcome of this tournament mate

missed the point dude

Not really. You're saying people should want the best team to win, rather than just choosing an English side? Well I think most people do.

ah, i don't

the champions league is a club competition, and i presume you support NUFC, so i see no relevance in your nationality and the outcome of this tournament mate

I support England too, which means I tend to end up liking English players (Rooney, Lampard, Walcott) :)

I think if you look at the top 4 they all do quite well getting money off Barca & Real Madrid, so if one of them gets richer one there 1st stop off for major purchases is the PL big 4, I don't there has been significant flow players the other way iirc.

I support England too, which means I tend to end up liking English players (Rooney, Lampard, Walcott) :)

english players make up a pretty small % of the english teams in the CL these days, still failing* to see how being english is relevant to wanting an english team to win the tournament

*i'm not failing to see, of course i see, i'm just trying to point out it's a little absurd

As long as the best (read deserving) team wins, I don't care who wins it. If it's an English team then fair enough.

If the English teams crash and burn I'll laugh and enjoy it.

As long as the best (read deserving) team wins, I don't care who wins it. If it's an English team then fair enough.

If the English teams crash and burn I'll laugh and enjoy it.

Spot on that Dave. (Liverpool excluded)

Okay then, I would like the teams that compete  domestically against NUFC to win, does that suit you better.

Of course nationality has part in it, that is why UEFA give the invitations to The FA & not the Premier League as the teams in it represent  The Football Association, not the Premier League.

english players make up a pretty small % of the english teams in the CL these days, still failing* to see how being english is relevant to wanting an english team to win the tournament

*i'm not failing to see, of course i see, i'm just trying to point out it's a little absurd

Only 10 started last seasons final.

Only 10 started last seasons final.

ah ok, well if <50% english players played in one game then fair enough

love stats me

Okay then, I would like the teams that compete  domestically against NUFC to win, does that suit you better.

Of course nationality has part in it, that is why UEFA give the invitations to The FA & not the Premier League as the teams in it represent  The Football Association, not the Premier League.

look i respect your right to an arbitrary nationalistic opinion, i just don't agree with it

see dave's post for a succinct version of what i'm saying

look i respect your right to an arbitrary nationalistic opinion, i just don't agree with it

I am not sure what you mean by arbitrary nationalistic, I just call it legitimate nationalistic. I respect that you want the favourites to win rather than the plucky English underdogs that is your choice.

Dont see whats wrong with wanting the sides representing England to win. In any sport i root for my country to, regardless of whether someone or a team from another country has had far better form & looks the better competitor. Though it is getting a bit boring that its constantly english sides in the final of the champs league. Be more interesting for Barca to get there...id still want an English side to beat them.

Dont see whats wrong with wanting the sides representing England to win. In any sport i root for my country to, regardless of whether someone or a team from another country has had far better form & looks the better competitor. Though it is getting a bit boring that its constantly english sides in the final of the champs league. Be more interesting for Barca to get there...id still want an English side to beat them.

So you'd be happy for the mackems to win in Europe or did you want Boro to win the UEFA cup the other season?  Just because Man U etc. play in England doesn't mean ****, half their players aren't even English and any other day of they week they'd be our rivals.

So you'd be happy for the mackems to win in Europe or did you want Boro to win the UEFA cup the other season?  Just because Man U etc. play in England doesn't mean ****, half their players aren't even English and any other day of they week they'd be our rivals.

More than any other team in the competition...

Wouldnt want those two winning anything they could brag about, outside of them i wouldnt care. Doesnt matter whether all their players are all English, they're representing an english club. They're drawing attention to the greatness of a league in England, that we're a part of. Why wouldnt i like that ..... ?

As football is very much a geography game most of us are always arbitrary regionalistic pretty much full time, even when c***s like Micky Gray played for England. Some weeks no one from Newcastle or the North East plays for Newcastle but I want them to win.

I am not sure what you mean by arbitrary nationalistic, I just call it legitimate nationalistic. I respect that you want the favourites to win rather than the plucky English underdogs that is your choice.

:lol:

:clap:  very good

:lol:

:clap:  very good

:thup: