Gerrard arrested

Shearergol

Nufc.com

Stevie G, MBE, ABH

Fresh from firing two goals against us on Sunday, Steven Gerrard was involved in a nightclub fracas that has seen the England midfielder charged with ABH.

It is almost the anniversary of fellow Scouser, Joey Barton's Merseyside brawl that saw him spend three months at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Should the Liverpool captain be convicted, it will be interesting to see how many of those calling for Newcastle to sack Barton will be equally vociferous in wanting Gerrard to be shown the door by the league leaders, ditched from the England set-up or even stripped of his MBE.

Watch this space for double standards galore...

I'm looking forward to the calls for him to be sacked by Liverpool.

Guest The Libertine

wasnt barton already facing jail before his arrest? thats after quite a few "incidents" of a smaller nature too. if this is gerrards first offence then the situations arent as similar as a lot of people want them to be.

still though, 6 months for gerrard and liverpool crashing and burning would be nice.

Guest quklaani

Which journalist helped him write his autobiography? Was it Holt?

You know I think it might have been, he's definitely ghost-written for footballers.  The opening line of his love letter to the accused made me laugh:

It is hard to think of anyone less likely than Steven Gerrard to be facing allegations of assault in a late-night bar.

I mean I was surprised about all this, he doesn't come across as a Ben Thatcher or Michael Brown, but he's still an aggresive footballer.  Hard to think of anyone?  Stephen Hawking?

If, and its a huge if, he gets jailtime, I hope Liverpool have another "Please release this convicted criminal!" protest.  Just as long as they don't do any handcuffs symbols hey...

edit:  Against my better judgement I read on, this is brilliant:

The consolation for them and for Gerrard is that recent years have shown it has become fashionable to accuse footballers of wrong-doing, often without any evidence to back it up. Modern players have become trophy victims for those seeking publicity.

Yeah, damned CPS is always mounting witch-hunts against footballers...

wasnt barton already facing jail before his arrest? thats after quite a few "incidents" of a smaller nature too. if this is gerrards first offence then the situations arent as similar as a lot of people want them to be.

still though, 6 months for gerrard and liverpool crashing and burning would be nice.

The only difference was he had the trial for the Dabo incident in his diary and I think was on bail. I don't know enough to know whether that affects sentencing.

I'll be astonished if Gerrard is jailed no matter how much I'd like to see it for personal amusement.

Having said that a bloke being punched and losing a tooth is for me a ridiculous thing to be jailed for. I think assault should go beyond that (probably resulting in unconciousness as a starting point) before jail is involved.

Guest elbee909

The only difference was he had the trial for the Dabo incident in his diary and I think was on bail. I don't know enough to know whether that affects sentencing.

I'll be astonished if Gerrard is jailed no matter how much I'd like to see it for personal amusement.

Having said that a bloke being punched and losing a tooth is for me a ridiculous thing to be jailed for. I think assault should go beyond that (probably resulting in unconciousness as a starting point) before jail is involved.

Can only hope you're not working in law then.

Guest The Libertine

Do you honestly think every minor fight between blokes where nobody gets hurt is worthy of legal involvement?

if you got glassed, lost a tooth and needed stitches you wouldnt press charges?

So if you had seven shades of shit beaten out of you but it didn't result in unconsciousness, you'd be happy for the person/people involved not to be imprisoned?

Guest elbee909

Do you honestly think every minor fight between blokes where nobody gets hurt is worthy of legal involvement?

If someone assaults someone else then they should be punished.  Isn't this obvious?

Guest elbee909

I'm sacking my dentist, when he takes a tooth out it hurts like hell.

Posted at 2.30 too :)

if you got glassed, lost a tooth and needed stitches you wouldnt press charges?

I'd read about the tooth but not the glass - if that's true then in this case I'll change my view and say charges are appropriate.

Don't you have false teeth at your age?

If someone assaults someone else then they should be punished.  Isn't this obvious?

Depends on the circumstances.

If I accidentally bump into someone and they take offence and punch me and I punch them back and my punch is "better" should I be prosecuted or do you suggest that nobody ever defends themselves?

Don't you have false teeth at your age?

http://img.yessy.com/349606644-20882b.jpg

So if you had seven shades of shit beaten out of you but it didn't result in unconsciousness, you'd be happy for the person/people involved not to be imprisoned?

If six blokes beat me up then I'd expect police involvement.

If it was one bloke and I just had minor cuts and bruises I wouldn't bother reporting it - in fact its happened to me.