Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

Very disappointing. :( Not the end of the world though, great shot stopper but average in all other departments. Hope if he goes we look to get someone who scream at the defence and come out for crosses occasionally.

Well the guy we've probably got lined up plays in a league with minimal crossing, and he's got the handling of a fish.

Why do you think we are after this Argie?

My position is clear. If you want to take it to PM, I'll happily do so.

part of Givens quote

‘When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival."

Pm me about it if you like, but I can't see the point. This, in my opinion, is what this is all about, however you and one or two others might wish to deny it.

And you must have missed 90% of this thread strongly criticising Ashley's regime for this. It should be like a wet dream for you, but instead you just prattle on about Freddy fucking Shepherd.

The two are mutually exclusive. Do you even know what that phrase means? In fact don't reply, look it up.

no, I haven't missed 90% of the thread. I noticed mick though, so commented to him in reply. Whats wrong with encouraging him to reply and avoid such prolonged further postings ?

You have noticed that he can't bring himself to admit what I say is true, I take it ?

By the way, getting relegated and witnessing the club being run like it used to be for decades is far from a wet dream, it isn't me who wanted the old regime out.

Very disappointing. :( Not the end of the world though, great shot stopper but average in all other departments. Hope if he goes we look to get someone who scream at the defence and come out for crosses occasionally.

I always find that amusing when people say that about keepers, it makes it sound like some keepers get picked regardless of poor shot stopping but world class goalkeeper kicks.

:laugh:

Well the guy we've probably got lined up plays in a league with minimal crossing, and he's got the handling of a fish.

Why do you think we are after this Argie?

Because in the summer his club signed a replacement, saying that he was off to Newcastle.

Very disappointing. :( Not the end of the world though,great shot stopper but average in all other departments. Hope if he goes we look to get someone who scream at the defence and come out for crosses occasionally.

I always find that amusing when people say that about keepers, it makes it sound like some keepers get picked regardless of poor shot stopping but world class goalkeeper kicks.

There's so much wrong with the wording of my post :lol: Basically I'm saying I hope we go for more of an all rounder who can come out and take the pressure off the defence, as that is one thing Shay struggles at.

his distribution always boiled my piss, and its massively improved this year, which is a cunt.

we are well covered in that area, and although shay leaving spells out the issues of the club massively, it doesnt mean we are doomed to relegation.

i find it funny when people say it would have been 10 against liverpool at the weekend without him, as if we wouldnt have had anyone else in goal.

if we get £15m for him, which i would expect from city, then it is very good business for a 33 year old keeper who seemingly doesnt want to ne here anymore.

as previously mentioned, haprer becomes a top priority now.

all the best shay, you've been fucking class.

Very disappointing. :( Not the end of the world though,great shot stopper but average in all other departments. Hope if he goes we look to get someone who scream at the defence and come out for crosses occasionally.

There's so much wrong with the wording of my post :lol: Basically I'm saying I hope we go for more of an all rounder who can come out and take the pressure off the defence, as that is one thing Shay struggles at.

If we have GK who stops the ball going over the line all the rest can be worked around.

Harper has played over 100 competitive games for us, usually filling in for Given.  He usually comes in cold and goes out of the team as soon as Given has come back so you would expect him to have a shit goals against per game ratio.

In reality he hasn’t he’s got a better ratio and he’s been in against the top teams in the league and Europe so it’s not because he’s faced shite all of the time.

If we have GK who stops the ball going over the line all the rest can be worked around.

Away with your pretentious attitude

1st things first, I dont want to see Shay Given leave Newcastle United. But if he does as it looks like he is going to, leaving wont be as bad imo as when, Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley et al left the club back in the day. Back then we no pulling power whatsoever in order to attract good players, the stadium was a mess, the board an even bigger mess than it is today and therefore it was harder for the club to attract the right kind of player. Today even though the club is in a mess both on and off the field we still have more of an attraction than back in the 80's. In the short term we dont need to replace Given as we have Harper and to a lesser extent promising players in Krul and Forster but when we do we will (hopefully) be in a better position to attract the right kind of replacement. As much as I dislike Ashley, I think his blueprint for the club is perfect on paper. All he needs to do now is get the right people in to put that plan into practice. He needs to get Mort back and for Mort to employ the right people to take this club forward. We dont need to spend millions on superstars we need to invest in players who can grow as the club grows. Like Sir Bobby did to a certain extent with some of his purchases. Get the millions for Shay and invest that in other areas of the team...... Shay Given has been a great servant for this club but he aint going to keep us in this league if he stays, investing the money from his transfer will go a long way to deciding our future, if invested wisely we will stay up.

Harper has played over 100 competitive games for us, usually filling in for Given.  He usually comes in cold and goes out of the team as soon as Given has come back so you would expect him to have a shit goals against per game ratio.

In reality he hasn’t he’s got a better ratio and he’s been in against the top teams in the league and Europe so it’s not because he’s faced shite all of the time.

And yet every manager we've had have played Given before Harper almost every time. I know loads have picked Nicky Butt too like.

Harper has played over 100 competitive games for us, usually filling in for Given.  He usually comes in cold and goes out of the team as soon as Given has come back so you would expect him to have a s*** goals against per game ratio.

In reality he hasn’t he’s got a better ratio and he’s been in against the top teams in the league and Europe so it’s not because he’s faced s**** all of the time.

And yet every manager we've had have played Given before Harper almost every time. I know loads have picked Nicky Butt too like.

The one time Bobby stuck with Stevie, Shay went and whacked in a transfer request.

Given pulls off the better looking saves because of his reactions.

I don't blame him - I'm amazed he's stayed

and for all you idiots who criticise him - he's the best keeper we've had in my 50 years and probably the best keeper we've ever had -

just wait..................

I don't blame him - I'm amazed he's stayed

and for all you idiots who criticise him - he's the best keeper we've had in my 50 years and probably the best keeper we've ever had -

just wait..................

The only criticism he's had is the way he's gone about this, I don’t think anybody has criticised him for his game.

part of Givens quote

‘When he signed a new five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours, but on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival."

Pm me about it if you like, but I can't see the point. This, in my opinion, is what this is all about, however you and one or two others might wish to deny it.

we haven't challenged for major honours since robsons team finished 3rd, been downhill ever since.

The only gd  thing abt Shay leaving is we may get some players in exchange.Kolo Toure handed  in a transfer request but dont think hes the kinda centre back we need,hes not good and strong enough in the air.Who would ye guys be interested in getting from the teams interested?

The only gd  thing abt Shay leaving is we may get some players in exchange.Kolo Toure handed  in a transfer request but dont think hes the kinda centre back we need,hes not good and strong enough in the air.Who would ye guys be interested in getting from the teams interested?

We've got no chance of getting someone like Kolo Toure.

part of Givens quote

we haven't challenged for major honours since robsons team finished 3rd, been downhill ever since.

3rd. Under the embarrassing old regime ? You don't say. How can that be possible.

Back on topic, interesting to see the expected people now glossing over this and building up Harper. Probably said the same thing about Ian Bogie replacing Gazza. How marvellous to see the club with the 3rd biggest support in the country resort to losing its best players again.

On the other hand, as mick predictably doesn't reply, I'm only 99.9% sure.

Guest The Libertine

part of Givens quote

3rd. Under the embarrassing old regime ? You don't say. How can that be possible.

Back on topic, interesting to see the expected people now glossing over this and building up Harper. Probably said the same thing about Ian Bogie replacing Gazza. How marvellous to see the club with the 3rd biggest support in the country resort to losing its best players again.

On the other hand, as mick predictably doesn't reply, I'm only 99.9% sure.

true. i wouldnt have picked him.

:boomboom: ?

Not worried about losing Given but i am worried about what it represents. The guys uprooting after so many years at the club.

That's Given, Owen, how many other senior players will we lose?