Looks like Shay is on his way

Dave

You can't expect someone on half a million a year to get it right every time.  Fair dos.  But if some people on an internet forum get it wrong, then that's an absolute crime.  Of course!

like I said to madras, they have gone, they have been held to account, so I hope he's happy with his superior replacements.

You're unrealistic mate. They ran a club that was the 5th best in the country, qualifying for europe more than any other club bar 4, and completely transformed the club. What did the other well paid people in football do that didn't do as well as that ?

Do you also expect someone to score a goal every time they take a penalty because they are on 50 grand a week ?

Basically, you can't criticise an appointment if you agree with it and back them in their actions, which a huge amount of people did ref Souness, in particular selling Craig Bellamy and saying he was going to turn into the new Alex Ferguson just because he kicked him out like Ferguson kicked out Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath.

I haven't read this whole thread (looks like old board/ new board surprise surprise), but here we are at the start of the transfer window & our longest serving regular player looks like he wants to leave. The noises coming from management sound like we're in the market for Championship players.

This will get worse before it gets better. We desperately need a (non) existant buyer 'cos it doesn't look like anyone within the game either believes Ashley or wants to take a chance on him staying here. He's like a cancer at the club, in remission at the moment but he will kill the club if he stays long term.

If our one or two real quality players do leave & we replace inadequately we are surely fucked; & it may be slow and painful.

Obvious as the nose on your face, its amazing the amount of people trying to paint a different picture just because its me saying it  :rolleyes:

And whats the betting I get the blame for ruining the thread  :coolsmiley:

You're unrealistic mate. They ran a club that was the 5th best in the country, qualifying for europe more than any other club bar 4, and completely transformed the club. What did the other well paid people in football do that didn't do as well as that ?

And was it the 5th best club in the league when they left?

You can't expect someone on half a million a year to get it right every time.  Fair dos.  But if some people on an internet forum get it wrong, then that's an absolute crime.  Of course!

like I said to madras, they have gone, they have been held to account, so I hope he's happy with his superior replacements.

Do you also expect someone to score a goal every time they take a penalty because they are on 50 grand a week ?

Basically, you can't criticise an appointment if you agree with it and back them in their actions, which a huge amount of people did ref Souness, in particular selling Craig Bellamy and saying he was going to turn into the new Alex Ferguson just because he kicked him out like Ferguson kicked out Norman Whiteside and Paul McGrath.

Howay man NE5, we haven't been 5th best since the end of the 2003/2004 season. To keep on saying that the decline in the club only started with the sale is at best daft, at worst delusional.

Everyone, and I mean everyone has given Freddie (and SJH) full credit for the two periods during their reign that we were genuine challengers.

Basically, you can't criticise an appointment if you agree with it

yes you can, you can criticise absolutely anything you want, and thats a fact. did you learn anything when shepherd fucked everything up?

Good luck to him, will have no ill feeling towards him if he decides to go. Has been an excellent keeper for us for absolutely ages and deserves better than s*** like last weekend.

As long as it's for one of the big 4 or a Serie A side (maybe City if they continue to put their money where their mouths are), I'll have no ill feeling.

If he goes to someone like Spurs though, I'd be gutted.

Guest elbee909

You know, just because a lot of people disagree with you, that doesn't give you the right to combine the views of lots of people and attribute them to individuals whom you're talking with.  I don't care what a huge amount of people supposedly thought of Souness, and the culling of Craig Bellamy.  But once again you shift the goalposts from specific stuff to implying someone's logic is faulty through the sort of inductive reasoning that most would usually use in jest.

You know, just because a lot of people disagree with you, that doesn't give you the right to combine the views of lots of people and attribute them to individuals whom you're talking with.   I don't care what a huge amount of people supposedly thought of Souness, and the culling of Craig Bellamy.  But once again you shift the goalposts from specific stuff to implying someone's logic is faulty through the sort of inductive reasoning that most would usually use in jest.

but you can't remember most specifics. Who can ?

I do however, remember Ozzie Mandiarse backing Souness, the sale of Bellamy, Robert and insisting he should be given time right up to the end. Just like he's backing Ashley now against all probability in fact.

These comments by Givens solicitor.....its amazing really, the amount of people who can't accept them and the reasons for him wanting to go if true. If not true, and I hope not, then his solicitor is well out of order. This thread has became quite a long one now, and its mainly because too many people are in all probability disagreeing with me, and only disagreeing because its with me.

Soooo....the lawyer says that Man City & Arsenal have expressed their interest in him, and yet both Hughes & Wenger have came out this afternoon saying it's b*llocks...ah well.

Against Hughes (who acknowledges or admits very little to camera or to the media) and Wenger ("I didnt see it"), in this case I would take the word of Given's solicitor as its just so out of character for Given and the people assosciated with him.

If his solicitor has spoken out of turn and lied it is an absolutely phenomenal error of judgment for a professional man trained and educated in the art of what to say and when to say it.

Soooo....the lawyer says that Man City & Arsenal have expressed their interest in him, and yet both Hughes & Wenger have came out this afternoon saying it's b*llocks...ah well.

I didn't know Hughes said that.

Given's agent looks even more daft if that's the case.

Good luck to him, will have no ill feeling towards him if he decides to go. Has been an excellent keeper for us for absolutely ages and deserves better than s*** like last weekend.

As long as it's for one of the big 4 or a Serie A side (maybe City if they continue to put their money where their mouths are), I'll have no ill feeling.

I would go along with that.

Against Hughes (who acknowledges or admits very little to camera or to the media) and Wenger ("I didnt see it"), in this case I would take the word of Given's solicitor as its just so out of character for Given and the people assosciated with him.

If his solicitor has spoken out of turn and lied it is an absolutely phenomenal error of judgment for a professional man trained and educated in the art of what to say and when to say it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/2996105/Sidelined-Given-asks-Newcastle-for-move.html

Guest elbee909

You know, just because a lot of people disagree with you, that doesn't give you the right to combine the views of lots of people and attribute them to individuals whom you're talking with.   I don't care what a huge amount of people supposedly thought of Souness, and the culling of Craig Bellamy.  But once again you shift the goalposts from specific stuff to implying someone's logic is faulty through the sort of inductive reasoning that most would usually use in jest.

I do however, remember Ozzie Mandiarse backing Souness, the sale of Bellamy, Robert and insisting he should be given time right up to the end. Just like he's backing Ashley now against all probability in fact.

These comments by Givens solicitor.....its amazing really, the amount of people who can't accept them and the reasons for him wanting to go if true. If not true, and I hope not, then his solicitor is well out of order. This thread has became quite a long one now, and its mainly because too many people are in all probability disagreeing with me, and only disagreeing because its with me.

Well, I can't see that many people who could blame him for wanting to go.  If I'd have been in his shoes (or boots), and Ashley said 'you know what, I think I'll stick around after all' - I'd want off as well after the mess he's made of things.

Whatever the case, it's not like Shay Given hasn't got previous when it comes to making negative noises, except through more 'passive-aggressive' channels as opposed to coming out and saying it himself.  He's pretty canny like that it'd seem.

I don't think you're one to get on your high horse and complain about people disagreeing with you 'just because it's you', though.  You reap what you sow.

I would go along with that.

Sounds about fair to me too.

Actually, thinking about it, wasn't Trapattoni touting Shay to the Serie A clubs?

Well, I can't see that many people who could blame him for wanting to go.  If I'd have been in his shoes (or boots), and Ashley said 'you know what, I think I'll stick around after all' - I'd want off as well after the mess he's made of things.

Whatever the case, it's not like Shay Given hasn't got previous when it comes to making negative noises, except through more 'passive-aggressive' channels as opposed to coming out and saying it himself.  He's pretty canny like that it'd seem.

I don't think you're one to get on your high horse and complain about people disagreeing with you 'just because it's you', though.  You reap what you sow.

well, I'm not bothered or anything !! it says more about them than me, tbh

Ref your first paragraph, I agree with that, its what I've been saying.

Guest toonlass

We will see what happens tomorrow. I cannot see any big club wanting a keeper that they have spent a large amount of money on cup-tied. If JfK plays Shay tomorrow, it will send out signals that he is staying. If Harper is playing it would look like JfK has kept him out of the cup on purpose.

We will see what happens tomorrow. I cannot see any big club wanting a keeper that they have spent a large amount of money on cup-tied. If JfK plays Shay tomorrow, it will send out signals that he is staying. If Harper is playing it would look like JfK has kept him out of the cup on purpose.

Agreed.  If Shay starts tomorrow its a strong signal that he is staying.

Agreed.  If Shay starts tomorrow its a strong signal that he is staying.

Craig just said he's starting tomorrow on SSN

I am not sure, something from 2001 quantifies him as a serial trouble maker or as someone who talks out of turn at the merest opportunity.

Someone's lying or talking out of turn. In the world of football anyone is capable of coming out with all sorts of garbage - I would just be staggered if his lawyer has spoken without his consent. Laughable decision on his behalf if he has.

:undecided:

EDIT : I just want to add to that that if it is entirely true what his lawyer has said, he is badly advised in actually quoting the clubs concerned. Information like that is best kept to themselves and not made public. If they are interetsed, I bet they're well pissed off that they have been quoted by him.

I am not sure, something from 2001 quantifies him as a serial trouble maker or as someone who talks out of turn at the merest opportunity.

Someone's lying or talking out of turn. In the world of football anyone is capable of coming out with all sorts of garbage - I would just be staggered if his lawyer has spoken without his consent . Laughable decision on his behalf if he has.

nailed

Guest toonlass

Someone's lying or talking out of turn. In the world of football anyone is capable of coming out with all sorts of garbage - I would just be staggered if his lawyer has spoken without his consent . Laughable decision on his behalf if he has.

nailed

Lawyer = Agent. Just think about the shite that McKay spouts at time.

Guest fraser

His affection for the club and its supporters is beyond question. The right to do the very best he can with what remains of his career for himself and his family, likewise, is beyond question.

We should get a very good price for him and it will be very instructive to see what is done with that money. It needs to be done quickly though to give us the best chance of using the revenue in good recruitment.

If his agent is talking complete bollocks then I find it astonishing that Given himself has not addressed the story today.

In fact I reckon it tells us everything we need to know. Dunno why anyone still believes Kinnear doesn't talk complete horse shite.