Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/67124/Shay-on-his-way/

Shay Given has ‘agreed’ his move to Man City – and Newcastle want England keeper David James to replace him.

It’s now a question of mega-rich City and Toon agreeing a fee for Given and there could be a compromise figure of £10million – a British record for a keeper.

City have so far had bids of £3m and £6m rejected, with the Geordies valuing the Republic of Ireland No.1 at £14m.

The current record for a keeper is the £9m Sunderland paid for Hearts’ Craig Gordon.

But that could be broken this week and the fact Newcastle have made enquiries about Portsmouth’s James, 38, indicates United expect Given to quit Tyneside after 12 seasons at the club.

James has already played for six clubs – Watford, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Man City and Pompey.

Meanwhile, a source close to Given, 32, told the Daily Star Sunday: ‘‘Shay wants to go to City and as far as he is concerned, his deal is effectively agreed in terms of the wages he’d be paid and even his image rights.

‘‘He could double his pay to £100,000-a-week and sign a contract for three-and-a-half or four-and-a-half years."

Newcastle would seem to have a replacement for Given already at the club in Steve Harper.

But he is 33 and out of contract this summer.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear could ask for City midfielder Michael Johnson to be part of the Given deal.

Hughes also wants Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and is unlikely to part with England defender Micah Richards, 20, who has been linked with Liverpool, Wigan and Bolton.

My god logic just goes out of the window with these rags..  We don't want Harper because he's 33 so instead we'll get David James who's 38?  What fucking world do they live in? :lol:

It would be stupid to spend money on another goalkeeper when we have Harper here and Krul as back up.  If Harper does not sign his contract then look at it again in the Summer.  Shay must have been first choice keeper here when he was 21/22 so I don't see why Krul can't step up.

Also James would expect a big salary and I think if he was open to a move, 'Arry would probably be in there.

Other positions are much more of a priority.

It would be stupid to spend money on another goalkeeper when we have Harper here and Krul as back up.  If Harper does not sign his contract then look at it again in the Summer.  Shay must have been first choice keeper here when he was 21/22 so I don't see why Krul can't step up.

Also James would expect a big salary and I think if he was open to a move, 'Arry would probably be in there.

Other positions are much more of a priority.

Absolutely right - but since when did logic play any part in the running of NUFC..!???

I'm surprised someone on here respects that joke of a publication enough to link to an article from it. I wouldn't even eat my chips off of that paper.

you're not talking about the Guardian are you

What Skirge said.

I'm surprised someone on here respects that joke of a publication enough to link to an article from it. I wouldn't even eat my chips off of that paper.

you're not talking about the Guardian are you

:lol:

I buy that paper from time to time. You mean to tell me you're not a fellow reader? I'm shocked.

He should do, most of this is just the press talking s*** and Shay is a true pro it won't effect how he plays, I do not see this deal being done anyway.

I wouldn't play him.

Why? dropping him would only add more fuel to the fire, I am guessing the fee quoted to them is aimed at puttung them off going for Shay, we need to keep him at least until the end of the season.

We drop him against Mna City the press will see it as a deal been done, we get enough hassle in the media do not give them ammo.

It will reveal a fair bit about whether we're considering selling him or not either way. If he does play against the team he's most linked to then you'd expect him to be staying, if he was left out then that would suggest a sale is imminent.

Guest samjack

Friend of a freind who knows Harper quite well reckons he's off to Rangers any time soon also reckons he's been offered a new contract by the toon on half...yes half :kasper: what he's on now !!!!

Obviously hope this is utter bollocks because i think Harper is a very decent keeper in his own right & well deserves a chance as No1.....would definately prefer him over the 'calamity kid' anyway.

Guest neesy111

Friend of a freind who knows Harper quite well reckons he's off to Rangers any time soon also reckons he's been offered a new contract by the toon on half...yes half :kasper: what he's on now !!!!

Obviously hope this is utter bollocks because i think Harper is a very decent keeper in his own right & well deserves a chance as No1.....would definately prefer him over the 'calamity kid' anyway.

he's on 40k a week as he was given a large contract for him staying as back-up keeper

Guest toonlass

Can't see even us letting both keepers go in this next week. However I think Harper is sick of being second best after showing how good he can be. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the two leaves, either this week or in the summer.

MON looking to buy Johnson and Sturridge for 10m combined.

Looks like we will be going for the amazing dissapearing straight cash deal.

Paper talk isn't it?

If it did go through I would be getting even more jealous of Villa though :(

Guest Heneage

Surely if Given is going Harper would be told "We see you as his replacement" I can't see why Harper would suddenly want to leave.

Surely if Given is going Harper would be told "We see you as his replacement" I can't see why Harper would suddenly want to leave.

Probably hasnt helped when JFK has come out and effectively said he doesnt rate Harper. Can see them both wanting off, neither owe us anything at all.

I'd still be suprised if Harper left before the Summer though.