Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

£12m + Onouha and Johnson is what we should demand. Hold them to ransom.

I because shitty little us are really going to hold them to ransom & get a deal like that.

Won't happen I know, but really that's what we should be looking to do. If Craig Gordon goes for £10m then Shay is worth £20m +

Just out of interest, how many goalkeepers in their 30's get transferred for £10m +?

I think that logic went out the window when teams like Sunderland had to spend £50m on a load of dross to stay up and Man City threw £12m+ at a reserve left back.

I can't think of many goalkeepers of a certain quality that actually leave their club to be honest. The likes of Casillas & Buffon are very comfortable at their clubs and keepers like James were playing terribly before their transfer so couldn't demand anything near a decent fee.

If its 5 Million plus Onohua and Johnson then i would snap their hands off

Definitely.

I think it just might be too, as there is no way they would even dare to offer £5 million cash straight up.

Why not? It's worth a go, he is 33 after all. My concern is that by the time they up it to closer to £8m for which we'll sell IMO, we'll be left with too little time to spend it as happened with the Milner money before the last window closed.

He's 32 actually, he's in his prime and should have around 5 or more years left in the game, more time then the likes of Craig Bellamy IMO.  Its not worth a go, its an idiotic offer that has no chance of being accepted.  Also if we end us accepting £8 million I'll fucking flip out!  That's a pittance for a player like Given.

Barry Silkman, the agent, was on SSN lunchtime suggesting Citeh had offered £7m and Newcastle wanted £12m.

Wow. Interesting.

Well if there is one thing no one can accuse Mike Ashley of, it is letting players go on the cheap.

Every player sold under this regime has brought in more than I thought they would.

For £12 million I would have to say bye bye Given.

No point having the best goalie in the prem if your defence and midfield are dodgy.

He'll make 5 odd world class saves a game only for us to lose 3 - 0 anyway! It's stupid.

Why is that more then you would expect to get for him?  You describe him as the best keeper in the Premiership who can make numerous world class saves yet you expect him to go for less then Wayne Brigde?.. what the fucks up with that?

Just out of interest, how many goalkeepers in their 30's get transferred for £10m +?

How many 29 year olds who have played only 21 games in two years and scored 7 goals get transfered for £14 million, the rules have changed, certainly when dealing with Man Shitty.

We should hold for stupid money, they've just paid £10m+ for De Jong who they could get for £1.8m in the summer.

strangely enough, even though its citeh, i don't think we hold the position of strength here - its not like a keeeper is their top priority...they'll know they can wait and pick him up in the summer, their seasons fucked anyways

We should hold for stupid money, they've just paid £10m+ for De Jong who they could get for £1.8m in the summer.

strangely enough, even though its citeh, i don't think we hold the position of strength here - its not like a keeeper is their top priority...they'll know they can wait and pick him up in the summer, their seasons fucked anyways

I would imagine they still think they can target Waffa as they'll need European football to attract players/keep Robinho happy even if it is only Waffa.

Good luck to him if he goes but I think if the money is invested in the right positions it will be more use to us than Shay will this season and in the future.

Harper will do a good job if he's needed.

Exactly. We are desperate for full backs and a midfielder right now, if we don't get them it's going to spell trouble. Goalkeepers isn't a position we are light in, and Given wants to leave in any case. Probably best for everyone concerned if a deal is done.

find that hard to believe. Surely if he was available for 1.8m there would have been clubs that would have snapped him up for that price in the summer. Never even heard that supposed clause until today

Guest battyleespeed

The club should take the 5m or so Man City are offering and bring in new players asap before the transfer window closes. It is getting to be pretty obvious that all transfers are on hold because there isn't enough cash to make anything happen. If the club can't pay 400k for a loan deal the situation must be pretty bad. Squad morale seems to be all shot up with star players wanting to leave so getting in group of fresh new players could transform the situation not only playing wise but motivationally. Given is one of the few players left that can be replaced straight away.

The club should take the 5m or so Man City are offering

No they f***ing well shouldn't.

Someone explain to me what the point of having an excellent goalkeeper is when the rest of team is poor?

Shay has made countless fantastic saves this season and where has it got us? We're shipping a lot of goals because our midfield doesn't protect the back four and because the defensive fringe players we have are fucking crap. Shay might keep the goals against tally down to 2 instead of 4 but it's still a defeat. We need strength in depth in midfield and defence, and if selling Shay Given will generate the funds for us to do so then it's a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned.

At the moment it looks like we could be heading for relegation in which case someone will poach him off us for peanuts anyway. We might as well sell him now and sign a couple of players who could help us scrape enough points to stay in the league.

Someone explain to me what the point of having an excellent goalkeeper is when the rest of team is poor?

Shay has made countless fantastic saves this season and where has it got us? We're shipping a lot of goals because our midfield doesn't protect the back four and because the defensive fringe players we have are fucking crap. Shay might keep the goals against tally down to 2 instead of 4 but it's still a defeat. We need strength in depth in midfield and defence, and if selling Shay Given will generate the funds for us to do so then it's a no-brainer as far as i'm concerned.

At the moment it looks like we could be heading for relegation in which case someone will poach him off us for peanuts anyway. We might as well sell him now and sign a couple of players who could help us scrape enough points to stay in the league.

Exactly, it's about priorities, and having 4 good keepers isn't one of them. There's a danger that asking for daft money will see the deal delayed too late blowing our chances of getting in re-inforcements where we really need them. City can afford to take their time, we can't.

Exactly, it's about priorities, and having 4 good keepers isn't one of them. There's a danger that asking for daft money will see the deal delayed too late blowing our chances of getting in re-inforcements where we really need them. City can afford to take their time, we can't.

don't think moneys any use myself, we'll not attract anyone of the quality to keep us up even if we get 10m for given, which is the max i can see

johnson & onohua straight swap, or some cash and a maybe a couple on loan til the end of the season like sturridge and the 2 already mentioned, get bodies in at the expenses of one out who we CAN replace from within

if, as looks likely, givens move is going to determine our immediate future i hope to fuck its not a cash only deal unless its for 30m which it won't be

don't think moneys any use myself, we'll not attract anyone of the quality to keep us up even if we get 10m for given, which is the max i can see

johnson & onohua straight swap, or some cash and a maybe a couple on loan til the end of the season like sturridge and the 2 already mentioned, get bodies in at the expenses of one out who we CAN replace from within

if, as looks likely, givens move is going to determine our immediate future i hope to fuck its not a cash only deal unless its for 30m which it won't be

Johnson isn't keen on coming here according to reports in the press.

Johnson isn't keen on coming here according to reports in the press.

i'm shocked! :lol: