Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

The thing I don't get is why can't we just tell Shay that if he wants to leave then fair enough, just wait until the Summer so he can help us maintain top flight status.

Oh and apparently David Craig, the North East Oracle has spoken.

Hmm, the Harper thing seemed to have thrown everyone off the scent a bit. I'd rather we kept Shay if I'm honest.

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that Krul said he was leaving if both Given and Harper signed on this season.

Hmm, the Harper thing seemed to have thrown everyone off the scent a bit. I'd rather we kept Shay if I'm honest.

Although I'm sure I read somewhere that Krul said he was leaving if both Given and Harper signed on this season.

That'd be benefit fraud.

That'd be benefit fraud.

Fuck off, you knew what I meant. :lol:

He's off chaps (and chappesses)

had the experience of meeting Hughton (and Bassong), this afternoon as part of my placement.  Another radio guy asked Hughton if he thought the fans would hold it against Given should he leave, and Hughton immediately started talking about how he thinks the fans have time for Given, and the relationship between us and him is a good one.

Basically answered the original question with "no", but did seem to suggest he's on his way.

Craig is Ashley's PR man.

"We did everything to try and keep him, even though we accepted a bid and he had years left on his contract...."

Interesting that NUFC.com are running with this quote from Hughton:

"Unfortunately he had a top keeper in Shay Given in front of him."

while the Beeb goes with this:

"Unfortunately he has a top keeper in Shay Given in front of him."

Either its a media ploy so we can get more money or we are TRYING to show a bit of ambition by keeping Given.

It's the Dyer situation all over again. We'll sell but only at the right price. I'm hoping that other signings aren't dependent on it, that would be a position of real strength.

Just try to up the deal I reckon.

In which case, we could have easily just said something along the lines of, "Everyone has his price but City haven't matched it", in a similar way we did with Milner in the summer.

To say he's not for sale is a pretty bold statement.

Guest firetotheworks

Although I dont particularly care what happens to Man City, it will be interesting to see the outcome if every club refuses to sell their best players at any price, ie Kaka and Given.

Just try to up the deal I reckon.

In which case, we could have easily just said something along the lines of, "Everyone has his price but City haven't matched it", in a similar way we did with Milner in the summer.

To say he's not for sale is a pretty bold statement.

we pulled the plug on the Dyer deal and that still went through. Once the 'loyalty' bonus business gets sorted it'll go through I reckon.

I'm really split on us potentially keeping Given. Whilst of course I don't want us to lose one of our very best players, if we need the money before we can strengthen the midfield I find myself hoping the deal goes through. :undecided:

Harper's cacking his pants right now.

You're joking aren't you? :lol: You think he's interested in being a Number 1?

Brand spanking new 3 year deal. He'll be as happy as a pig in shit.

Not like you to be cynical about him...