Shola Ameobi signs 3-year contract extension

lovejoy

Don't have a problem with this considering the circumstances (being stuck with an owner who wont spend). Has it not sunk in with people yet that we need a squad not just a first team. Owen and Viduka will be off in the Summer, and I seriously doubt we're going to be buying 3 strikers (1 first choice and 2 backup) who are all better than Shola anytime soon. Even if super Mike does get his cheque book out, if nothing else it means we'll get a transfer fee for him.

He's happy not to be an automatic starter, is settled in the region and the club, is no bother off the pitch, and he's a perfectly adequate backup.

Don't have a problem with this considering the circumstances (being stuck with an owner who wont spend). Has it not sunk in with people yet that we need a squad not just a first team. Owen will be off in the Summer, and I seriously doubt we're going to be buying 3 strikers (1 first choice and 2 backup) who are all better than Shola anytime soon. Even if super Mike does get his cheque book out, if nothing else it means we'll get a transfer fee for him.

He's happy not to be an automatic starter, is settled in the region and the club, is no bother off the pitch, and he's a perfectly adequate backup.

Fair post but the fact remains that for whatever reason we have come to a point where we actually want to keep players like him because we simply haven't got better (aside from Xisco, Shola has the 3rd/4th choice striker role cemented as his for the time being). We shouldn't even be in a position where the likes of Ameobi are considered for new contracts.

I have to ask why are people are complaining?

No he's not a world beater in fact he's probably a Championship striker at best but could we of done anything else? Our squad is desperately thin and the last thing we need is people leaving on a free. We have enough positions to cover on the shopping list without adding a forth choice striker to it. With Viduka constantly on the sidelines and Xisco out of favour we need cover, Shola isn't ideal but he'll do for the time being.

No he's not a world beater in fact he's probably a Champioship striker at best but could we of done anything else? Our squad is desperately thin and the last thing we need is people leaving on a free. We have enough positions to cover on the shopping list without adding a forth choice striker to it. With Viduka constantly on the sidelines and Xisco out of favour we need cover, Shola isn't ideal but he'll do for the time being.

Yes not give our worst player a new THREE year contract.

Butt to be given 3 year contract today too, you heard it here first.

I'll pass out if that happens ^

Followed up with the 8 million pound signing of Barry Ferguson.

funded by the sales of martins and given

No he's not a world beater in fact he's probably a Champioship striker at best but could we of done anything else? Our squad is desperately thin and the last thing we need is people leaving on a free. We have enough positions to cover on the shopping list without adding a forth choice striker to it. With Viduka constantly on the sidelines and Xisco out of favour we need cover, Shola isn't ideal but he'll do for the time being.

Yes not give our worst player a new THREE year contract.

He's not THAT bad. Kinnear has got him playing to a half decent standard and like I say yes he's nothing special but for a forth choice striker he'll do for the time being. We have other positions which are in far greater need of strengthening than worrying about the striking department.

He is that bad, he brings nothing to our team, cant finish,pass,head,run,score.

would you like to qualify that statement as that seems to apply to many a player in our team/squad

Aye but they havent just been given the 3 year deal.

He is that bad, he brings nothing to our team, cant finish,pass,head,run,score.

would you like to qualify that statement as that seems to apply to many a player in our team/squad

Aye but they havent just been given the 3 year deal.

yet

This 'backing the managerrunning the club responsibly' doesn't seem so great after all.

Do you honestly think the management structure has changed and is any different for Kinnear than it was for Keegan?  :nope:

We're still operating under the DoF structure you champion, the fact that Kinnear knows just as little as Keegan did about what's going on with transfers is evidence enough of that.

This 'backing the managerrunning the club responsibly' doesn't seem so great after all.

Do you honestly think the management structure has changed and is any different for Kinnear than it was for Keegan?  :nope:

We're still operating under the DoF structure you champion, the fact that Kinnear knows just as little as Keegan did about what's going on with transfers is evidence enough of that.

Funny that because I seem to remember Kinnear saying he was the one sitting down with players discussing details of contract with players, something that Keegan himself said he had no part of.

"Michael told me that when Kevin [Keegan] was here he had previously been offered only 12 months and I did not really see any value in that," explained Kinnear. "So I just said, 'What if we can tie you up for the rest of your career, more or less, would you be happy with that?' and Michael said, 'Yes, I would be delighted'.

"So I spoke to Mike [Ashley, the Newcastle owner] and said could we give Michael three years plus the possible option of another one and Mike said, 'OK, do it'."

Funny that because I seem to remember Kinnear saying he was the one sitting down with players discussing details of contract with players, something that Keegan himself said he had no part of.

"Michael told me that when Kevin [Keegan] was here he had previously been offered only 12 months and I did not really see any value in that," explained Kinnear. "So I just said, 'What if we can tie you up for the rest of your career, more or less, would you be happy with that?' and Michael said, 'Yes, I would be delighted'.

"So I spoke to Mike [Ashley, the Newcastle owner] and said could we give Michael three years plus the possible option of another one and Mike said, 'OK, do it'."

So we can expect to see Owen signing a new contract as the next news then?