Shola Ameobi signs 3-year contract extension

lovejoy

This 'backing the managerrunning the club responsibly' doesn't seem so great after all.

Do you honestly think the management structure has changed and is any different for Kinnear than it was for Keegan?  :nope:

We're still operating under the DoF structure you champion, the fact that Kinnear knows just as little as Keegan did about what's going on with transfers is evidence enough of that.

Funny that because I seem to remember Kinnear saying he was the one sitting down with players discussing details of contract with players, something that Keegan himself said he had no part of.

"Michael told me that when Kevin [Keegan] was here he had previously been offered only 12 months and I did not really see any value in that," explained Kinnear. "So I just said, 'What if we can tie you up for the rest of your career, more or less, would you be happy with that?' and Michael said, 'Yes, I would be delighted'.

"So I spoke to Mike [Ashley, the Newcastle owner] and said could we give Michael three years plus the possible option of another one and Mike said, 'OK, do it'."

So we can expect to see Owen signing a new contract as the next news then?

He's said he wants to wait until the Summer before deciding whether to sign or not, that doesn't mean that Owen isn't happy with the length of contract offered after discussions with Kinnear.

I can't say I'm surprised to see you going on about something else after I've proven you wrong though.

This 'backing the managerrunning the club responsibly' doesn't seem so great after all.

Do you honestly think the management structure has changed and is any different for Kinnear than it was for Keegan?  :nope:

We're still operating under the DoF structure you champion, the fact that Kinnear knows just as little as Keegan did about what's going on with transfers is evidence enough of that.

Funny that because I seem to remember Kinnear saying he was the one sitting down with players discussing details of contract with players, something that Keegan himself said he had no part of.

"Michael told me that when Kevin [Keegan] was here he had previously been offered only 12 months and I did not really see any value in that," explained Kinnear. "So I just said, 'What if we can tie you up for the rest of your career, more or less, would you be happy with that?' and Michael said, 'Yes, I would be delighted'.

"So I spoke to Mike [Ashley, the Newcastle owner] and said could we give Michael three years plus the possible option of another one and Mike said, 'OK, do it'."

He's said he wants to wait until the Summer before deciding whether to sign or not, that doesn't mean that Owen isn't happy with the length of contract offered after discussions with Kinnear.

I can't say I'm surprised to see you going on about something else after I've proven you wrong though.

"Proven" me wrong with a quote from honest Joe and no supporting action to back it up.  ;D

Of course no one knows for sure what the structure is, but do you honestly think it changed post-Keegan now that we have a (hopefully) temporary manager in place? If so, why didn't Ashley offer to change the structure for Keegan? Why hasn't Ashley come out and said the structure has changed which would go a significant way towards healing the rift with some fans? Of course it's still in place, don't be so naive.

Thing about Shola is we've backed ourselves into a corner by horribly mismanaging many of our players' contracts, combined with the perilous situation we're in regarding relegation.

We need to tie Shola down because, firstly, we might be able to sell him if he does alright this season. Second, we might well lose Owen and Viduka, and even Martins might be sick of battling relegation come the summer.

So for many reasons signing him up again was the correct decision, in our current situation

"Proven" me wrong with a quote from honest Joe.  ;D

Of course no one knows for sure what the structure is, but do you honestly think it changed post-Keegan now that we have a (hopefully) temporary manager in place? If so, why didn't Ashley offer to change the structure for Keegan? Why hasn't Ashley come out and said the structure has changed which would go a significant way towards healing the rift with some fans? Of course it's still in place, don't be so naive.

More quotes from Joe - “I’ll just speak to the players myself and hopefully they’ll listen to me and sign. If the answer is no then there is no point talking to agents anyway, I’m not an agent man,”

So you're saying that Kinnear doesn't have any say in which players are given new contracts then? I'm sure you're going to post quotes that back your version up too...

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jan2009/8/9/B0BA7FE7-0CC4-AFDE-9072D91E66260F85.jpg

SHOLA AMEOBI has committed his future to Newcastle United until 2012.

And today Ameobi has vowed to repay the faith shown in him by Joe Kinnear.

The 27-year-old said: "Getting fit and playing games is all I wanted to do. It had been a while since I was able to do that.

"But it’s testament to the physios and medical staff for the work they’ve done for me.

"Also the manager Joe Kinnear came in and put a lot of faith in me.

"I hadn’t played for a while and had to prove myself again. Thankfully, I believe I did that.

"Now I can look forward to playing a lot more games for Newcastle which didn’t look likely a few months ago.

"And now my future is in order I can focus on getting it right on the pitch.

"I am confident I can do it, and the club are also in the fact they have shown faith with the contract.

"Now it’s down to me to prove that.

"The aim for the future is to stay fit and play games on a regular basis.

"Then show the form I produced earlier this season."

Ameobi has scored some vital goals in his time in Toon in both the Champions League and the UEFA Cup, while he netted the crucial goal in 2004 at Anfield in a 1-1 draw with Liverpool to secure a place in Europe.

Shola also backheeled the ball to Alan Shearer on the day he overtook Wor Jackie as all-time top scorer of Newcastle.

Ameobi will miss the weekend’s game with West Ham with an ankle injury, but Kinnear is hoping he returns in time for the trip to Blackburn Rovers.

Meanwhile, Kinnear has revealed his frustration in the transfer window.

United are believed to be keen on Pedro Mendes at Rangers and still interested in Gers skipper Barry Ferguson.

But Kinnear says: "We have not made any progress in terms of signing anybody.

"And we haven’t had any offers for any of the fringe players available for transfer."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/07/shola-ameobi-signs-new-newcastle-united-deal-72703-22629012/2/

He is that bad, he brings nothing to our team, cant finish,pass,head,run,score.

would you like to qualify that statement as that seems to apply to many a player in our team/squad

Shola makes the rest of our squad look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

So you're saying that Kinnear doesn't have any say in which players are given new contracts then? I'm sure you're going to post quotes that back your version up too...

I have never thought that the FTC has no say whatsoever in the transfers made under Ashley's version of the DoF system. It would be a completely mental system if that were the case. However neither Kinnear nor Keegan have/had the ultimate say on what happens, and no one really knows exactly how much their input influences the decisions made.

The system is working exactly now as it did under Keegan. Keegan had as much influence on the signings made during the Summer as Kinnear will this month. If the FTC is highly influential under the system, then Keegan/Kinnear are the ones who should be given the most credit/criticism for the Summer/January transfers respectively. If however the FTC is merely someone to be appeased then it is Wise who should be given the most credit/criticism for whatever happens this January as he was this Summer by most.

I think maybe you just want to distance your precious system from any poor signings that may be made in this window.

I have never thought that the FTC has no say whatsoever in the transfers made under Ashley's version of the DoF system. It would be a completely mental system if that were the case. However neither Kinnear nor Keegan have/had the ultimate say on what happens, and no one really knows exactly how much their input influences the decisions made.

The system is working exactly now as it did under Keegan. Keegan had as much influence on the signings made during the Summer as Kinnear will this month. If the FTC is highly influential under the system, then Keegan/Kinnear are the ones who should be given the most credit/criticism for the Summer/January transfers respectively. If however the FTC is merely someone to be appeased then it is Wise who should be given the most credit/criticism for whatever happens this January as he was this Summer by most.

I think maybe you just want to distance your precious system from any poor signings that may be made in this window.

Don't worry, I didn't expect any quotes.

As for whats gone on, I think in an ideal World the people involved could act like grown ups and we would be on to a good thing, there's an excellent post kicking around by Shak about how it was doing well until the 2 parties couldn't put their differences a side.

I'm not trying to distance it from anything btw and you've said yourself that you don't have a problem with Shola as back up, the fact is as far as I'm concerned if we signed someone like Barry Ferguson then it would be what I would expect from Kinnear, the same as Gonzalas is the type of player to be picked up from a network of scouts.

Don't worry, I didn't expect any quotes.

:lol: I should hope not. Where am I supposed to get quotes from? The owner who puts out a quarterly press release? The MD who speaks to no one? The invisible DoF who has never publicly spoken about NUFC since he joined a year ago? Tricky.

Never mind, we have honest Joe to keep us all straight and tell us exactly what's going on. :lol:

I'm not trying to distance it from anything btw and you've said yourself that you don't have a problem with Shola as back up, the fact is as far as I'm concerned if we signed someone like Barry Ferguson then it would be what I would expect from Kinnear, the same as Gonzalas is the type of player to be picked up from a network of scouts.

Do we have scouts in Uruguay? That's quite impressive tbh.

You may see this in the papers:

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jan2009/8/9/B0BA7FE7-0CC4-AFDE-9072D91E66260F85.jpg

But this is how I see it....

http://i43.tinypic.com/2152r4.jpg