Shola Ameobi signs 3-year contract extension

lovejoy

Going on his performances this season, i'm more than happy to have him in the squad if he is fit enough when called upon.

I think you're all being ridiculous.

Ditto. I have my doubts about his injury record but I've always thought he's a useful squad player. I can't imagine he's on a big salary, but he offers an option on the bench to cause real problems to defenders. One of the reasons we beat high flying Villa this season was the battering he gave Laursen who isn't a bad defender.

Going on his performances this season, i'm more than happy to have him in the squad if he is fit enough when called upon.

3 fucking years. Deserves 1 based on performances this season.

Awaits inevitable "Shola and Butt extending their contracts is like having 2 new signings" media-friendly soundbite from Fat Joe. Ah well, there's those 2 problem positions sorted then, no need for any new signings :undecided:

Guest Stephen927

Not saying it's an acceptable position to be in, but I can see us being short of strikers come the summer, it's wise to tie him down to a new deal now.

Don't agree with the length of his contract one bit, mind.

It was probably far cheaper and easier to keep him at Newcastle for cover than to sell him for f*ck all and bring in somebody else. He's shown this year that he can be a good squad player. I'd rather have him here for cover for our injury-prone strikers than have nobody at all. I honestly don't see what the problem is with giving him a new contract. It's a prudent move.

You may see this in the papers:

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jan2009/8/9/B0BA7FE7-0CC4-AFDE-9072D91E66260F85.jpg

But this is how I see it....

http://i43.tinypic.com/2152r4.jpg

Glorious

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hate this club. 3years ffs, laughable.

Funny thinking back to the last 12 months I refused to ever truly believe he was gone... was right he might not be as moronic as we suspect, he got his deal the cunt.

Ditto. I have my doubts about his injury record but I've always thought he's a useful squad player. I can't imagine he's on a big salary, but he offers an option on the bench to cause real problems to defenders. One of the reasons we beat high flying Villa this season was the battering he gave Laursen who isn't a bad defender.

Did you see him against Spurs at home though?

I don't agree with this entirely (in fact, I agree with everything bar the bold) but it's not far from being accurate.

He has been good this season, see Villa (h), Man City (h), and cameo's against Everton (a), and Portsmouth (a) when he was excellent.

However, Spurs (h), Hull (h) and Sunderland (a) he was dreadful, especially the first two I listed there.

But yeah, most people here are over-reacting. It probably should have been 2 years with a third depending on appearances.

I don't agree with this entirely (in fact, I agree with everything bar the bold) but it's not far from being accurate.

He has been good this season, see Villa (h), Man City (h), and cameo's against Everton (a), and Portsmouth (a) when he was excellent.

However, Spurs (h), Hull (h) and Sunderland (a) he was dreadful, especially the first two I listed there.

But yeah, most people here are over-reacting. It probably should have been 2 years with a third depending on appearances.

He scored against Sunderland.

Was coming back from injury/didn't have much time against Spurs.

Hull was before his "Kinnear Renaissance," and honestly, everyone was shit then.

Shola's been about as good as Shola can be this year.

Hull was before his "Kinnear Renaissance," and honestly, everyone was shit then.

Was what i was going to say. Our best player in the first half at Sunderland.

Spurs he was fucked and went off injured. Which is of course another story....

Hes a waste of space,would have being better off letting him go for nothing.Sure hes being alright for us in one or two games this season but I think I would prefer someone in the squad who can prefer more often than a couple games in the season

Hull was before his "Kinnear Renaissance," and honestly, everyone was s*** then.

Was what i was going to say. Our best player in the first half at Sunderland.

Spurs he was f***ed and went off injured. Which is of course another story....

I agree he's been good, and if you look I've said he probably deserved a contract (albeit not a three-year one).

He did indeed score against Sunderland but I personally thought his general performance was pretty poor. Of course, that's just my opinion, we can just discount that match from my argument if you like, because he did score.

He has been the best I've seen him for a while though. Far cry from the Shola that played away at Derby. He looked like he was on smack.

I don't want to be too cruel to Ameobi, but I just don't believe he is what we need.  He doesn't score enough and he tends to fall over and lose the ball or waste good chances that a better player would either score or force a decent save.

He has got some goals in him, but just not enough for a side that wants to finish in the top half of the table.  I see him as the type of player that would be in the side regular for West Brom and Stoke.  I was hoping he would be gone in the summer, guess I will have to get used to him frustrating me for another three years.

Guest Brummiemag

I commend him for his loyalty and his desire to want to play for NUFC. More than can be said for some.

Surely a tongue in cheek comment!?

Bet he couldn't get the lid off the pen fast enough to sign on the dotted line.  Loyalty?!?  He just wants to stay on board the gravy train for as long as possible.  Did poorly on loan to Stoke, Ipswich didn't want him, he knows this is the best offer he'll get by a country mile.  His agent must have fallen off his chair.

Taking the positives though, he could do a decent job for us in the Championship which is looking increasingly likely as this appears to indicate we're going to try and stay up with what we've got rather than sign much-needed new players!  

Great post hodgey, just about sums the situation up!

He's absolute bollocks, hope this has been offered in order to sell him for a couple of million in the summer. But we all know better. Come 2012 he'll still be lumbering around, whinging about getting in front of Abgon and Rooney in the England setup