Shola Ameobi signs 3-year contract extension

lovejoy

He brings absolutely nothing.  He's got all the slowness of a big guy but he still manages to be weak as shit and bullied off the ball.  He's tall but he's still shit in the air.  He hasn't got the pace to beat people, but he can't make up for it with clever runs because he doesn't know the offside rule.  He doesn't have physicality, pace, natural talent, a footballing brain or a reading of the game and he doesn't even make up for a complete lack for ability with even an average workrate or doing what most large and mediocre strikers do to make up for their failings, just putting himself about.  There's no excitement when Shola gets the ball, be it deep, wide, played through, one on one with the keeper or in front of an empty net, it never looks like anything's going to happen apart from him looking directly down at his feet, taking ages to get control and make a decision and still managing to make the wrong one and tripping over the ball anyway.  His goal where he fooled the keeper by doing the exact opposite of what he was trying to do and accidently making it roll into the goal after deflecting off his hip is the best we can expect but I doubt he's going to get 20 of them a season.  His cameo against Spurs is the worst performace I've seen in a black and white shirt all season and that's saying something.

Even crap players usually have one redeeming aspect to their game, we're still looking for Sholas'.

Going on his performances this season, i'm more than happy to have him in the squad if he is fit enough when called upon.

I think you're all being ridiculous.

I don't agree with this entirely (in fact, I agree with everything bar the bold) but it's not far from being accurate.

He has been good this season, see Villa (h), Man City (h), and cameo's against Everton (a), and Portsmouth (a) when he was excellent.

However, Spurs (h), Hull (h) and Sunderland (a) he was dreadful, especially the first two I listed there.

But yeah, most people here are over-reacting. It probably should have been 2 years with a third depending on appearances.

He scored against Sunderland.

Was coming back from injury/didn't have much time against Spurs.

Hull was before his "Kinnear Renaissance," and honestly, everyone was shit then.

Shola's been about as good as Shola can be this year.

Was what i was going to say. Our best player in the first half at Sunderland.

Spurs he was fucked and went off injured. Which is of course another story....

He's alright to have as back up but not to be given a 3yr deal. A one year rolling deal would surely have been enough to see him stay and then we could re-evaluate next season.

Allardcye ignores Shola, Keegan also ignores him. One is sacked, the others pisses off and hey f***ing presto an idiot is given the job and offers him a 3 year contract

You couldn't make it up

I seriously doubt that Kinnear was the main man behind the decision to offer Shola a new contract... he's an interim manager at best. Sounds like a dubious attempt to have a dig at him to me.

Does anyone else constantly keep having to remind themselves that he is not still 21 and in fact this is the prime of his career.  He's hardly developed since he was 21, I thought he might be more useful than he is but at least he chips in with the odd goal and is certainly worth keeping at least until the summer because if he scores 10-15 goals this season we could get 3-5M for him.

Allardcye ignores Shola, Keegan also ignores him. One is sacked, the others pisses off and hey f***ing presto an idiot is given the job and offers him a 3 year contract

You couldn't make it up

I seriously doubt that Kinnear was the main man behind the decision to offer Shola a new contract... he's an interim manager at best. Sounds like a dubious attempt to have a dig at him to me.

Do you think for one second that Shola would have been offered that contract had a competent manager like Keegan been in charge?

reminds me of Tony Hayes dying in Partridge. "Chris Feather likes me, he likes ME!"  :nope:

People are probably more pissed off with what this represents than Shola actually being in the squad for a proposed 3 years (i'm pissed off at both tbh), ie a horrific lack of ambition. Let's be honest, he's not good enough to do genuinely well in this league, surely we all know it now.

Well done NUFC. This is like a new signing.

The lad has bags of potential, and occasionally actually has an entire 10 minute spell where he doesn't forget to jump for a header, or when he manages to control simple passes to him.

I think that with players of his calibre, alongside the likes of Xisco, signed by the (defended by some on here for his record with us) Dennis Wise, we will have a team to challenge for the top 6, to go along with the owner, directors and manager.

Top 6 of the Championship, that is.

Fuck off Shola, you useless, worthless, clueless pile of lanky donkey shite.

I dont mind having Shola who is experienced,on the squad list for the next few seasons knowing that we have a bit more squad cover in the striking position come a injury crises or what have you. He isnt the greatest player in the world but as a 4th/ 5th choice he does the job. If we had more adequate cover in midfield/ defence like this I would be happy.

You can never have too many people in the squad, and having someone who has played consistently in the prem rather than the likes of xisco/ lua lua/ edgar is a lot better to fall back on.

It's mainly because technically we just have 3 strikers remaining after this season (Martins, Xisco, Carroll) and it is a good idea to resign him as a back up.

Which actually means the club doesn't want to spend money in the coming summer for a new striker.  Hurray.

It's mainly because technically we just have 3 strikers remaining after this season (Martins, Xisco, Carroll) and it is a good idea to resign him as a back up.

Which actually means the club doesn't want to spend money in the coming summer for a new striker.  Hurray.

Or the next three summers, for that matter.

Funny that because I seem to remember Kinnear saying he was the one sitting down with players discussing details of contract with players, something that Keegan himself said he had no part of.

Don't worry, I didn't expect any quotes.

Here ya go then :

We’ve identified the players we want, and it’s in Dennis Wise’s hands.