What needs to happen for this club to change?

Guest neesy111

I have a season ticket, but I'm done being a fan of this club.  It's become a farce.  I will continue to attend games because the players who have to wear the shirt deserve support.  But that's it.  The club is rotten to the core.

Championship Football would at least force a total rethink of the club.  But it would hurt us for decades, and will see the end of any hope of Newcastle attaining European football in the coming years.  It's sad.  It's really f**king sad.

I have a season ticket, but I'm done being a fan of this club.  It's become a farce.  I will continue to attend games because the players who have to wear the shirt deserve support.  But that's it.  The club is rotten to the core.

Championship Football would at least force a total rethink of the club.  But it would hurt us for decades, and will see the end of any hope of Newcastle attaining European football in the coming years.  It's sad.  It's really f**king sad.

Spot on, mate.

And the rest of your post summed it up well.

We need new owners we need a moderate manager and we have to aim for mid table at least for the next 2 seasons and  cut this crap of thinking we are a big club.

We were a big club a few years ago giving Manure and the rest a run for there money but mismanagement has left us where we are today.Imho a new owner with ambition and the right people in place is the only way forward and as everyone knows this is not going to happen anytime soon .

I stopped reading that post when you suggested that relegation would be a good thing.

.... and your plan is working how?

Rather than just ignoring an idea that -might- achieve a desirable, long term outcome, why not explore that idea and if you still don't like it present a counter argument with justifications for your position.  If you can't, then don't start typing.

It's fairly obvious that the current plan for the club, assuming for a moment that there is a plan, is not working and has not been working for the past 4 years.  So surely its time to start exploring different ideas and not just keep muddling along hoping the nightmare will end.

If we don't go down this season, I think next it will be a nailed-on certainty as things stand.

If Kinnear is still in charge, then i may agree with you (even though we've stayed up with much worse squads), if he goes then i'll start to think the exact oppositie.

Appoint an actual manager and give him some funds; that would be my priority. Whether or not it was Mike Ashley behind it, that would still be a positive step regardless. We've got a shite manager but the crux of a decent side. Squad is weak as piss though and some proper investment with a good manager would see it to where it should be, which i still believe is the top 8 (in spite of their lack of heart thenight).

A gradual dissolving of the recruitment set-up probably would have satisfied the hoards, aswell.

All that should have been happening the moment Ashley said he'd taken it off the market, though. And it hasn't. So we can only hope for one thing - someone buys us. That's it. That's all we can do, cos until that happens, it's Kinnear for the entirety.

What do we need to do?

1) Implement a working management structure.  Manager should be in charge, given funds, Keegan-style, though I'm not saying we need Keegan back.

2) There is no need, yet, to sack Kinnear.  He's been asked to construct the Empire State Building with sand.

3) Move training ground - get these injuries sorted!

4) Reassess with a stable, powerful manager, funds and a decent squad.

Guest shearer_united

- Sack the director of football. As long as he is there, there will always be conflict of interest on players coming in and out.

- Fans should start being realistic and not be impatient. No more "X person OUT!". Even if the team is doing bad fans should still show support. Fan Support is vital for a club like newcastle to revive.

- Fully back our managers to the fullest and support him in the transfer window (ie. give him the money to buy useful players)

- Sack the director of football. As long as he is there, there will always be conflict of interest on players coming in and out.

- Fans should start being realistic and not be impatient. No more "X person OUT!". Even if the team is doing bad fans should still show support. Fan Support is vital for a club like newcastle to revive.

- Fully back our managers to the fullest and support him in the transfer window (ie. give him the money to buy useful players)

Heh.

If Jonas, Colo and Bassong were all his doing, he's winning me over. Kinnear doesn't seem to mind anyway.

Guest shearer_united

Heh.

If Jonas, Colo and Bassong were all his doing, he's winning me over. Kinnear doesn't seem to mind anyway.

Kinnear was supposed to have left a long time ago. He was just here to settle this club.

I think our best hope for change on all of those fronts will be change coming from the top down. A new owner, be it a shrewd operator or a billionaire with an open wallet, is the most likely thing to turn this club around.

The chaos at the club stems from uncertainty at the top. The uncertainty over the owner means no job security for incoming managers and likely no transfer funds to go with it, not to mention a board that apparently interferes with transfer activities. Only Joe Kinnear would take the job in that climate of uncertainty. And such an obviously short-term management appointment followed by poor investment in the team is causing yet more uncertainty with the players,. With some of our better players heading out the door, this will only serve to convince players elsewhere that this isn't the club to come to, and the negativity trickes all the way down to the bottom.

The only way I see us reversing this spiral is a new owner who can demonstrate he is committed to the club's long term future. That will attract half-decent managers and that stability will in turn attract half-decent players, and only from there might we start to see some progress in the right direction.

I don't believe the fans have had any role in the club's current situation and, sadly, I don't think we can have much role in turning it around either.

I think those who suggest relegation might help the club to change its ways should be careful what they wish for. There are absolutely no guarantees we'll come back up at the first, second or even third time of asking. It could spell disaster for the club. My main hope is that we survive in the Premiership and a new owner with real long term ambitions comes in the summer.

I think our best hope for change on all of those fronts will be change coming from the top down. A new owner, be it a shrewd operator or a billionaire with an open wallet, is the most likely thing to turn this club around.

The chaos at the club stems from uncertainty at the top. The uncertainty over the owner means no job security for incoming managers and likely no transfer funds to go with it, not to mention a board that apparently interferes with transfer activities. Only Joe Kinnear would take the job in that climate of uncertainty. And such an obviously short-term management appointment followed by poor investment in the team is causing yet more uncertainty with the players,. With some of our better players heading out the door, this will only serve to convince players elsewhere that this isn't the club to come to, and the negativity trickes all the way down to the bottom.

The only way I see us reversing this spiral is a new owner who can demonstrate he is committed to the club's long term future. That will attract half-decent managers and that stability will in turn attract half-decent players, and only from there might we start to see some progress in the right direction.

I don't believe the fans have had any role in the club's current situation and, sadly, I don't think we can have much role in turning it around either.

I think those who suggest relegation might help the club to change its ways should be careful what they wish for. There are absolutely no guarantees we'll come back up at the first, second or even third time of asking. It could spell disaster for the club. My main hope is that we survive in the Premiership and a new owner with real long term ambitions comes in the summer.

:thup: and welcome back

Guest sittingontheball

Aye great post. I think the fans' are blameless too. Ferk Ferguson and anyone else who blames expectations.

They haven't paid good money to be not merely disappointed, but repeatedly humiliated.

As for Kinnear, he is simply a reaction to us being a managerless club who are also looking for a buyer. There are also deficiencies in the squad, but there are much less important than the mess off the field. For those who wish for Mort back, this next rung down all started with the post-Allardyce situation being mishandled. I don't think Keegan was the right man for those particular circumstances, and Wise was another major own goal.

KNEEJERK!!!!

We played well first half, had more chances overall, and fell to a goal against the run of play. If Owen hadn't had an off day then we would be looking forward to Millwall. Shit happens.

This thread is a perfect illustration of ONE of the current problems this club has. The general feel is to change everything because the club is in a bit of a state right now. But nobody has mentioned the one thing that has been constant since Keegan left the first time (as manager) - a large section of our fans with massive expectations.

And before anyone says that we would be happy for a couple of season of mid-table consolidation, then start to look at Europe, that's complete bollocks. We sacked Allardyce when we were bloody 11th! We had those two "you don't know what you're doing" muppets gurning for the cameras. What type of message does that send to prospective players? We walked out on SBR because he finished 5th. 5th!!!!

Why do players opt for clubs like Portsmouth, Spurs, Villa etc. instead of us? So we get what's left, unless we get lucky and unearth some new unheard of talent - which until the start of this season didn't really happen. So we sign Colocinni, Guitterez, Bassong, Guthrie, all looking like decent players and save for Colocinni at very little cost, and what happens? The fans call for the team that did those deals to be sacked!!!

We are a club of contradiction. Previous regimes are criticised for changing managers during a season, the argument being that no manager worth anything is going to be in a position to change clubs mid-season. Quite right, a properly run club should privately make the decision during the year, and then work behind the scenes to make sure the right man is in a position to come in on June 1st. However some on here are saying that Kinnear should be replaced now. With who. Jose fucking Mourinho?

Souness may have been a complete cock end, but his quote about there being about 30,000 NUFC supporters and 20,000 customers is spot on. We all sit next to those idiots at the match who want players to fail so they can have their moan at someone.

So a realistic answer to the original question:

1. Keep Kinnear to the end of the season. Fans stick behind the team, and STOP BOOING YOUR OWN FUCKING PLAYERS DURING THE GAME! Hope to fucking god we don't create an atmosphere of fear at home games, sure sign of a team going down.

2. Those fans who say they are finished with the club, or who want us to go down FUCK OFF AND DON'T COME BACK. I know there are exceptions, but I expect many of these are post 1992 fans. I say this because things have been a hell of a lot worse before then.

3. In the current climate Ashley is going nowhere. His £20m net cash spend per annum sounds good to me in the short/medium term. Its more than 90% of the clubs in the league get, and we have the advantage of generating more income due to supporter base, and lack of interest payments (no debt remember).

4. Board work behind the scenes (starting from now, not May) and get a half decent realistic manager - Houlier, Deschamps etc.

5. We start preparing now for the next window - make sure on 1 July we hit the ground running with player acquisitions, having asked the prospective manager before his appointment to provide a list of targets.

6. Clear out as much high earning dead wood as possible - Butt, Smith, Viduka.

Sorry for the rant, but if the manager, players, board, personell, physio, tea lady, programme sellers all need to take the blame for the current predicament, then I though I would balance the argument out by raising the possibility that as fans we may be less than perfect. :yikes:

bealios,

I agree with you about moaning fans, it annoys me too but it's a problem facing Premier League clubs up and down the country, not just Newcastle. Football has changed and it has attracted different kinds of people to games; as a result atmospheres all over the country have suffered over the past couple of decades. I can't believe that a few fans moaning at half time has caused all this chaos at our club, rather I think it's a symptom of the trouble we're in. Some posts might be knee jerk but on the whole I think another defeat to poor opposition has brought our persistent problems to light. Yet again.

Man Utd don't win loads of trophies because they have amazing fans. In fact if you look abroad, there are big clubs with large fanbases and famous support who, like us, underperform. You could even argue that Newcastle the club has taken its fanbase for granted over the years - not many other clubs would bring 50,000 fans a week in to watch a team finish in the bottom half year on year.

I'm not sure what our net spend was last summer but if you factor in the money for Emre, Rozenhal, Milner, Faye etc we probably broke even on transfers. We might even have made a profit. How many Premier League clubs spent less than us on transfers last season? Any at all? And that was before Ashley had any plans to leave the club, so his 20m a year promise looks quite empty on the evidence we've seen.

If Ashley is still here in September then I fully expect we'll still have Kinnear or if not then another manager no other club wanted. Managers will look at our net transfer spending under Ashley and see that he has spent virtually nothing on players in the time he's been here. They will see that Allardyce was fired just 6 months into the job, and that even the man they appointed left within a year citing major interference over transfer policy. Under the current ownership, no decent manager would touch us with a bargepole. The only difference now is that Ashley has taken the club off the market but it feels very much like a token gesture and I for one don't see him suddenly investing the money that is required to replace the likes of Given, N'Zogbia and Owen, let alone strengthening the other areas of our squad. If you were a decent manager you'd be mental to take the Newcastle job under Ashley this summer.

I agree that we might as well stick with Kinnear until the end of the season, as a means of maintaining some sort of stability at the club, but unless we get someone competent in at the top then I think this situation will keep repeating itself.

KNEEJERK!!!!

We played well first half, had more chances overall, and fell to a goal against the run of play. If Owen hadn't had an off day then we would be looking forward to Millwall. s*** happens.

This thread is a perfect illustration of ONE of the current problems this club has. The general feel is to change everything because the club is in a bit of a state right now. But nobody has mentioned the one thing that has been constant since Keegan left the first time (as manager) - a large section of our fans with massive expectations.

And before anyone says that we would be happy for a couple of season of mid-table consolidation, then start to look at Europe, that's complete bollocks. We sacked Allardyce when we were bloody 11th! We had those two "you don't know what you're doing" muppets gurning for the cameras. What type of message does that send to prospective players? We walked out on SBR because he finished 5th. 5th!!!!

Why do players opt for clubs like Portsmouth, Spurs, Villa etc. instead of us? So we get what's left, unless we get lucky and unearth some new unheard of talent - which until the start of this season didn't really happen. So we sign Colocinni, Guitterez, Bassong, Guthrie, all looking like decent players and save for Colocinni at very little cost, and what happens? The fans call for the team that did those deals to be sacked!!!

We are a club of contradiction. Previous regimes are criticised for changing managers during a season, the argument being that no manager worth anything is going to be in a position to change clubs mid-season. Quite right, a properly run club should privately make the decision during the year, and then work behind the scenes to make sure the right man is in a position to come in on June 1st. However some on here are saying that Kinnear should be replaced now. With who. Jose f***ing Mourinho?

Souness may have been a complete cock end, but his quote about there being about 30,000 NUFC supporters and 20,000 customers is spot on. We all sit next to those idiots at the match who want players to fail so they can have their moan at someone.

So a realistic answer to the original question:

1. Keep Kinnear to the end of the season. Fans stick behind the team, and STOP BOOING YOUR OWN f***ing PLAYERS DURING THE GAME! Hope to f***ing god we don't create an atmosphere of fear at home games, sure sign of a team going down.

2. Those fans who say they are finished with the club, or who want us to go down f*** OFF AND DON'T COME BACK. I know there are exceptions, but I expect many of these are post 1992 fans. I say this because things have been a hell of a lot worse before then.

3. In the current climate Ashley is going nowhere. His £20m net cash spend per annum sounds good to me in the short/medium term. Its more than 90% of the clubs in the league get, and we have the advantage of generating more income due to supporter base, and lack of interest payments (no debt remember).

4. Board work behind the scenes (starting from now, not May) and get a half decent realistic manager - Houlier, Deschamps etc.

5. We start preparing now for the next window - make sure on 1 July we hit the ground running with player acquisitions, having asked the prospective manager before his appointment to provide a list of targets.

6. Clear out as much high earning dead wood as possible - Butt, Smith, Viduka.

Sorry for the rant, but if the manager, players, board, personell, physio, tea lady, programme sellers all need to take the blame for the current predicament, then I though I would balance the argument out by raising the possibility that as fans we may be less than perfect. :yikes:

Excellent Post, agree 100%

Moaning fans or not, I think everybody is entitled to voice how they feel about the club. Even booing is acceptable if a player on 60 grand pw is not putting in the effort!

The whole situation we find ourselves in is a direct result of one man, Mike Ashley!

1) He's led everyone up the garden path with his false promises and lack of action in the transfer market, and employed some casino tosspot to play as football chairman and a fucking cockney dwarf to undermine the manager.

2) He has tried to make Keegan look like the one who caused all this and most of you plebs agreed with Ashley, Where as true fans know who had the clubs best interests at heart.

3) He is worth almost twice as much as Randy Learner and yet look at the amount of investment between the two. 

4) Disrespect for the fans with no or very little communication about our current plight.

This fat twat is choking the club slowly and if it means going down to get rid of this fat fucking leech and his cronies then i'd take it.

I am sick and tired of spending my money and walking in with a frown and leaving with one and with the current regime that ain't likely to change. 

All this club needs is a good manager investment in the 1st team and a decent youth set-up.