Roberto Martinez

Mr. Snrub

We have to think a lot and discuss a lot about this fella. He is some one special and giving opportunity he might be the ONE. I want us to discuss about him also I want us to see how he give special attention to Carpet football.

Someone will take a gamble on him soon enough though if he keeps getting the right results.

If Bruce leaves Wigan then I`m certain Martinez will end up there as his replacement....being an ex Wigan player of 6 years and all too

Very true, all Swansea fans are aware of this as he is a close friend of the chairman. They want Bruce to stay in post for as long as possible.

Personally I think Ashley has nothing to lose by this appointment, he says he wants to build the club up from the academy, so why not get a young manager in which would fit with his 'policy' .... If some fans don't like the appointment because he hasn't got a big enough ego, thye should take a long hard look at the facts and see where managers like that have got us in the past. Time for a change and I'm all for Martinez or any up and coming manager who has a firm belief in playing football the right way and given youngsters a go like Martinez has.

Was winding up a couple of Swansea fans saying he would be our manager in the summer.

They all laughed. The one (massive) thing against us is a lack of stability. They (and I) can't see Martinez leaving a post where he has virtually carte blanche to do what he wants and build something for one where he will be under pressure from the crowd if we aren't 3-0 up after 10 mins of his first game.

Paul Ince seemed really good at lower league level. But i must say Martinez team does play some really good football.

Martinez has had continued steady progress. Ince did a very good job in the lower leagues but his name from his playing career got him a Premiership job rather than his out and out ability as a manager. Some managers are only suited to lower league football.

Maybe the Fergusons could swap jobs and I am sure that Alec would find the change as tough as Darren.

Martinez will get a go in the Premiership there is no doubt about that. Swansea are not far off getting there themselves. They are an outside chance at the playoffs as it stands and next season they will be contenders for the automatic  promotion. Would piss myself if Swansea beat Cardiff to the Premiership....

We haven't got much to lose with Martinez, and if the players at the club cannot respect a relative unknown in playing terms they need to fuck off..

It is hard to compare Ince and Matinez. Ince coached MK Dons and up in the leage much lower than where Swansea is. Swansea is doing something amazing this season by challenging for the play off and even John Toshak this weekend claim Martinez is manger of the year. Some guys like Phil Brown done good things with the likes of Hull but no one appreciate the team playing attractive football. But every one is raving about Martinez ability to do it nice attacking way the way this club wants and needs it.

As for going for some one with less glamour we did it before with Roader and see where Roeder is on the same league and where they end up in a half a season.  I want us to educate ourselves about this guy so that we can have healthy debate. We even can start a campaign like Hitzfeld back then for this guy at the end of the season.

Be real, Ashley wouldn’t pay the compensation required. Hence we get Kinnear.

people forget (perhaps) the kinnear appointment was supposed to last a month or two but was extended for the purpose of continuity to the end of the season

suppose everything will depend on how long ashley realistically sees himself as being around...if he thinks he'll not be able to sell within a year or two he might well go for a short-medium term appointment of better quality

prolly sell bassong to fund it like!  :lol:

Guest Mucky01

Be real, Ashley wouldn’t pay the compensation required. Hence we get Kinnear.

people forget (perhaps) the kinnear appointment was supposed to last a month or two but was extended for the purpose of continuity to the end of the season

suppose everything will depend on how long ashley realistically sees himself as being around...if he thinks he'll not be able to sell within a year or two he might well go for a short-medium term appointment of better quality

prolly sell bassong to fund it like!  :lol:

yep, that will probably happen soon anyway, when Bassong demands the pay rise he deserves.

I like the sound of Martinez and the style of football he likes to play....BUT.... I'm not sure that he would command the same respect and freedom in the PL as he gets in Swansea.  I'm sure that the Swansea players don't have the attitude of PL players. Swansea is a long way from PL football and PL lifestyle, and I wonder if they are more likely to buy into an unknown manager like Martinez, than know-it-all PL players who might consider themselves above him.

I also think that the level of expectations at Swansea are only a drop in the ocean compared to Newcastle. It's easy to ride high when you're exceeding expectations, but when the bar is set so high in the PL and in Newcastle (unreasonable in many cases) good is not always good enough.

Is Martinez strong enough to control a PL squad?  It would be nice to think so, but I'm not convinced.  Yet.

dont know much about martinez....only read here and on wiki!

but it sounds like he has proven himself already....young promising talent to stay for 3-4-5 years!

We should get him right know! I MEAN RIGHT KNOW!

He's proven that he can promote a team from League 1.

I like the sound of Martinez and the style of football he likes to play....BUT.... I'm not sure that he would command the same respect and freedom in the PL as he gets in Swansea.  I'm sure that the Swansea players don't have the attitude of PL players. Swansea is a long way from PL football and PL lifestyle, and I wonder if they are more likely to buy into an unknown manager like Martinez, than know-it-all PL players who might consider themselves above him.

I also think that the level of expectations at Swansea are only a drop in the ocean compared to Newcastle. It's easy to ride high when you're exceeding expectations, but when the bar is set so high in the PL and in Newcastle (unreasonable in many cases) good is not always good enough.

Is Martinez strong enough to control a PL squad?  It would be nice to think so, but I'm not convinced.  Yet.

Some of your concerns would be mine as well. For the size of club that it is, Swansea do have quite hugh expectations, the was some twitchyness during the 8 match drawing sequence and the piss poor display v Watford in the League Cup drew some criticism, but the expectation levels are not near Newcastles. Most reasonable Swans fans would be happy with consolidation this season and a playoff push next season, so its a bonus that Swansea has done so well this season.

There will be some big time charlies who have been there done that and think they are above Martinez but this did not seem to be a problem for Wenger at Arsenal he was a total unknown at the time and look at his success.

As all appointments are it would be risky but IMO a risk worth taking.

Was just thinking that Martinez could be our Wenger.  The question is though, is the todays Premier League the same as it was when Arsenal brought in Wenger.

With all due respect to Swansea (and I went to Milford Haven Grammar school, and know Swansea quite well), they are not exactly one of the biggest Championship teams, and with them already over achieving on their expectations, the pressure is off. 

It wouldn't be like that at Newcastle. Not in todays EPL.

Was just thinking that Martinez could be our Wenger.  The question is though, is the todays Premier League the same as it was when Arsenal brought in Wenger.

With all due respect to Swansea (and I went to Milford Haven Grammar school, and know Swansea quite well), they are not exactly one of the biggest Championship teams, and with them already over achieving on their expectations, the pressure is off. 

It wouldn't be like that at Newcastle. Not in todays EPL.

No I totally argree Swansea is a mid - size club in the Championship but because of their recent success the expectations have risen, even so not to the level of Newcastle. Martinez comes accross as a guy that doesn't get phased easily. He has never been pressured into doing anything and seems quite single minded to an extent.

I don't know how true this is but he is supposed to have excellent contacts in Spain, they have allowed him to sign some really good players for relatively small fees and bring in some excellent loan signings.

The Premiership has changed since Wenger came in, for starters there is a lot more money banded around than back then. I am not sure if the Arsenal board would have had as much patience with him in today's climate, when you consider Chelsea and the way they have lost patience with Mourinho, Grant and Scolari. No matter how good Martinez is I don't think he would ever be given the time or the patience that that Wenger or Alex Ferguson had from their respective boards.

We're playing Fulham in the Cup, live on Sentana Saturday, midday kick-off   :coolsmiley:

Chance to see the style.. hopefully another win.

A little known fact outside 'Swansworld', Martinez is yet to be on the end of 2 successive defeats  :clap:

We play 4-5-1, but with 2 wingers and central midfielders who like to attack, so 4-5-1 quickly turns to 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 and we end up pulling defences all over the place.

Oh....

You can't have him  :knuppel2:

Oh I have seen the style a few times this season. I live in "Swansworld" and I didn't know that fact.

I think Fulham is a winable game, the only thing if he continues to have success in the Cup he is only going to attract more Premiership teams. I am very surprised that he hasn't been linked with the Pompey job especially after whooping them on their own patch.

Swansea have done excellently recently especially good given the fact that arguably the best player Bodde is out for the rest of the season and for the past couple of games Darren Pratley has been out as well. All this just makes Swansea and Martinez run all the more impressive.

and also, for every disaster - like paul ince - theres a david moyes. fact is, there ARE some lower leagues managers who are ready for the step up, its just a matter of identifying whom. but as nixon says, will the big ego's take them seriously?

I disagree again mate... it's more like for every Paul Ince, Tony Adams, Steve Wigley, Paul Sturrock (off the top of my head)... there's a David Moyes.

Steve Wigley and Tony Adams were both promoted from within their clubs as opposed to plucked from the lower league.

and also, for every disaster - like paul ince - theres a david moyes. fact is, there ARE some lower leagues managers who are ready for the step up, its just a matter of identifying whom. but as nixon says, will the big ego's take them seriously?

I disagree again mate... it's more like for every Paul Ince, Tony Adams, Steve Wigley, Paul Sturrock (off the top of my head)... there's a David Moyes.

Steve Wigley and Tony Adams were both promoted from within their clubs as opposed to plucked from the lower league.

The point still stands though. Unproven Premier League managers; Tony Adams' only other managerial experience was at Wycombe Wanderers, Steve Wigley had managed Aldershot Town. The two lasted a combined period of 29 Premier League matches, btw.....

I don't think this guy would come here at the moment.

Agreed, he likes the stability at Swansea and would have serious reservations over the turnover of managers at the Toon.

Given assurances I reckon he could be tempted into being part of a five year plan, but the contract would have to have some serious assurances in there over his stability.

And if the Swans get promoted, forget it.