Roberto Martinez

Mr. Snrub

Whether he would leave Swansea is debateable, it would be nice if we at least made the effort to try and get him here. Vetere must know a bit about him, it's unlikely Ashley hasn't been made aware of Martinez' success at Swansea. The club might just consider it a bit too risky to take the plunge.

It'd cost money in compo and he wasn't managing in the mid-1990s so I think it's a non-starter.

I was working in Swansea yesterday and he is literally their KK, they love him. Mind quite a few reckon he'd be ideal for us and I was quite surprised at how well liked NUFC in Swansea.

Not just Swansea mate, i live about 20 miles from Cardiff and you'd be suprised how big of a following Newcastle has in Wales.

I was working in Swansea yesterday and he is literally their KK, they love him. Mind quite a few reckon he'd be ideal for us and I was quite surprised at how well liked NUFC in Swansea.

Not just Swansea mate, i live about 20 miles from Cardiff and you'd be suprised how big of a following Newcastle has in Wales.

Well I can account for being a Newcastle fan from Swansea, there weren't many of us in school but when you think back when we won promotion to the Premiership , all the bigger clubs had so much of an established support in Swansea, there are still masses of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton and I hate to say it Spurs fans but Newcastle have a decent following.

Martinez is a hero on a KK kind of level, especially after being club captain, though I do remember him taking a bit of stick towards the end of his playing career with Swansea it was kind of like flogging a dead horse (think Nicky Butt) but Martinez was much better liked than Butt so that helped him. The place is buzzing with the potential FA Cup 1/4 final against Man Utd.

Guest neesy111

in the past we've just for manager's with proven track record's and look where that has got us

a young manager is something we need and could bring back much needed energy in the club, and the football he plays is excellent which is a requirement by some of our fans

in the past we've just for manager's with proven track record's and look where that has got us

a young manager is something we need and could bring back much needed energy in the club, and the football he plays is excellent which is a requirement by some of our fans

Just to pick up on this logic which I hear a lot;

How many managers have we had that were 'proven' (to be good) (by reasonable standards) before coming to us over the past 15 years? Two or maybe three out of seven by most's standards (SBR (obviously), Dalglish (Championships at Liverpool and Blackburn, can't really complain) and arguably Allardyce (considerable long-term achievements with small clubs, I know many would disagree)) - the rest are Keegan (totally unproven), Souness and Roeder (proven to be bad) and Gullit (mixed - fairly unproven, with some bad points coming from Chelsea).

Therefore, there's no sense in saying we should go for Martinez just because we've been trying the opposite in the past. Go for him because you think what he's doing is proving him, go for him because you predict he will prove himself with us - fine, but not because we should spin the wheel 'for a change'.

Ruud & Ossie were young managers when they came to the Newcastle.

Just to pick up on this logic which I hear a lot;

How many managers have we had that were 'proven' (to be good) (by reasonable standards) before coming to us over the past 15 years? Two or maybe three out of seven by most's standards (SBR (obviously), Dalglish (Championships at Liverpool and Blackburn, can't really complain) and arguably Allardyce (considerable long-term achievements with small clubs, I know many would disagree)) - the rest are Keegan (totally unproven), Souness and Roeder (proven to be bad) and Gullit (mixed - fairly unproven, with some bad points coming from Chelsea).

Therefore, there's no sense in saying we should go for Martinez just because we've been trying the opposite in the past. Go for him because you think what he's doing is proving him, go for him because you predict he will prove himself with us - fine, but not because we should spin the wheel 'for a change'.

Funny, what you suggest not to do is exactly the defence given to the Roeder appointment. :laugh:

Guest optimistic nit

i think it would be good for football and his career if he stayed at swansea tbh, and i hope he does.

:idiot2:

except it would. managers can burn out quickly as well and if martinez left swansea now for a big club and failed it would be very bad for his career, look at ince who could well turn out to be a good manager. he has good conditions at swansea to play the football he wants to play and as long as their ambitions match his own he should stay (as he said). he's only 35, he has arguably another 35 years as a manager if he turns out to be a good one so why should he feel like he needs to rush straight to the premiership instead of learning the ropes at swansea and then going to a bigger club when he's taken them as far as he can. he will be given time at swansea, can you imagine many pl chairman sticking with martinez, a manager who has never managed a top flight team if after 8-12 months their team is struggling.

it would also be good for football because one of the problems with the game at the moment is everybody is after a quick fix. if martinez is patient and recognises he has a long career ahead of him it would show not everyone in football is after to maximise their short term profit without paying attention to long term goals.

I only care about NUFC. It was the bit in bold I couldn't understand.

if we were to get him i'd rather we got him when we were more stable than at the current climate. if we got the club settled, with the books balanced and the chance to start afresh with a 5 year plan i would not say no, but we don't atm know how much money we have or if our owner wants us and our players don't want to play for us, and martinez, good though he may be may not command instant respect from pl players being paid 40-120K a week who have achieved a lot more as a player than he has. i wouldn't want us to sign for us and be chucked after 10 months and then go on to be a huge success somewhere else.

i wouldn't say no like, but i'm not sure atm it would be in our or his best interests.

Well I can account for being a Newcastle fan from Swansea, there weren't many of us in school but when you think back when we won promotion to the Premiership , all the bigger clubs had so much of an established support in Swansea, there are still masses of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Everton and I hate to say it Spurs fans but Newcastle have a decent following.

As a Newcastle fan from Port Talbot I can understand, in my time most other schoolfriend's supported Man Utd, Chelsea, Leeds, Everton, Liverpool or spurs (late 60's early 70's so mainly the same culprits), I can't understand why Swansea are not your first club to be honest,  it would be like a Geordie supporting Real Madrid rather than his home team (the tragedy being Newcastle can be as big). Each to his own I suppose.

My old step dad used to support whoever was top  ;D  it would change through the season, Liverpool, Man Utd....  he even briefly supported Swansea in 1981  :celb:

Martinez is a hero on a KK kind of level, especially after being club captain, though I do remember him taking a bit of stick towards the end of his playing career with Swansea it was kind of like flogging a dead horse (think Nicky Butt) but Martinez was much better liked than Butt so that helped him. The place is buzzing with the potential FA Cup 1/4 final against Man Utd.

Not sure your right there, most I knew were crying for him to be playing, although he was slowing his head was still there. The problem was as club captain he had a disagreement with Jacket on how we should be playing. Martinez wanted us to play as we do know and Jacket believed in big physical players with a strong engine and getting the ball to the front guys as quick as possible.

The fateful day in most people's eyes was an away game against promotion competitors Southend just before Xmas, we were in the top 3 and had been playing well and Jacket dropped Martinez and played Owain Tudur Jones, we played the Jacket way and won the match 2-1. After that martinez rarely got a look in, even though after Xmas our fortune turned and we dropped out of the race for auto's (we managed to cling onto a play-off place which we lost to Barnsley).

In the summer Martinez was gone. The following season we did a similar job to the previous year where we played well but started dropping, this time earlier, by the time Jacket decided to leave (pushed or jumped) we were in 11th/12th in free-fall. Then the board made the brave decision to bring in Martinez, who in a short time turned us around again but not quick enough to get into that last play-off place, we needed to beat Blackpool at home in the last game by something like a  5 goal margin, we went all out attack but lost 6-3 to Blackpool in what everyone talked about as the best defeat they had seen, Blackpool who were promoted that year were just too good for that tactic.

(We lost the first game next season at Oldham 1-2, where like usual we outplayed them. The purist may say so we have lost 2 league games on the trot, we did win friendlies in between  :rolleyes:).

What he has done in a short time is fantastic, he has a gift of getting the best out of any player and he does not hold grudges, an example being Tate, who was punished for returning in the summer overweight (a capital sin gto Martinez), he was axed from the team but has improved significantly on his return in an out of position left back place.

Its also significant that whenever we lose an important player, he finds someone to come in and we don't miss the other player (Bodde and Pratley would be an immence loss to any team in this league, as well as Painter).

Anyway, hope Newcastle recover from this period quickly and keep away from Martinez for the time being at least  :undecided:

The worrying thing at the moment is the fact that Ashley's fortune could be dwindling in this current climate, I hear JBB are suffering terribly as well, so Wigan must be suffering...  Hate to think a 'Leeds' could happen in Newcastle..  :weep:

I am a glory grabber, not the kind of one that supports Man Utd because my loacl team are shit, I am the kind thats mad and chooses Newcastle instead. Stayed with them though even during the shite that we are going through now :kinnear: I once was called a glory grabber on here then someone pointed out I was a supporter during the Gullit torture, so I was given the okay O0

Still I admit that I should be supporting my local team throught thick and thin, there was only one school mate of mine who did the rest were Man Utd/Liverpool etc supporters with stories that their old man was from Manchester, or my uncle had trials with Liverpool blah blah blah. Its amazing how many of those same mates are all of sudden "Swansea till I die"

I must admit I have taken a lot more interest in the Swans since last season, mainly because my boss has got 4 seats down the Liberty and I have had chance to see alot of the games, when I say alot its alot for me compared to my Vetch record which probably doesn't stretch 10 games.

I am not going to challenge you on the Martinez thing I just seemed to remember the people I spoke with were fed up with him as a player towards the end.

Guest neesy111

martinez seem's like one of a very few manager's that can coach players, something this club minus kk hasn't done

this youth policy is useless without the right coaches and managers to nurture the talent they have, this is something i believe martinez could do

I wish Ashley scrapped his five year plan and put some one knowldgeable to put him a five year plan. Who created Ashley's 5 year plan? Wise or Mort? I don't trust both people to create 5 year plan. A manger like Martinez should creat long term plan and should be givin enogh time to excute that plan. It seems like we want an Artist but we want one kind of art how can his imagination to give us great art work.

he wouldnt get the time.

From whom?

the fans/mongs.

That's kinda tarring people with the same brush and it's not really fair.

Sir Bobby - class manager, did well, fans gave him all the time in the world

Souness - shite manager, did shite, fans gave him no time

Roeder - shite manager, did shite, fans gave him no time

Allardyce - shite manager, did shite, fans gave him no time

Keegan - class manager, did well in the grand scheme of things, fans gave him all the time in the world

Kinnear - meh

Should we, by some stroke of luck, appoint someone like Martinez - his 'time' would depend entirely on how he started. I don't think he'd unpopular appointment but he is a bit of an unknown quantity. If he started badly then fans would get on his back instantly... so in fairness to you, in this respect you would be right calling them mongs - given where we are atm, and given the potential of this manager.

In the past however - whenever a manager hasn't been given time, the fans have been dead right tbh.

he wouldnt get the time.

From whom?

the fans/mongs.

Souness - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Roeder - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Allardyce - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Keegan - class manager, did well in the grand scheme of things, fans gave him all the time in the world

Kinnear - meh

Should we, by some stroke of luck, appoint someone like Martinez - his 'time' would depend entirely on how he started. I don't think he'd unpopular appointment but he is a bit of an unknown quantity. If he started badly then fans would get on his back instantly... so in fairness to you, in this respect you would be right calling them mongs - given where we are atm, and given the potential of this manager.

In the past however - whenever a manager hasn't been given time, the fans have been dead right tbh.

sorry, that may have been mis read, i didnt mean all fans were mongs, just the one's who are, wouldnt give him the time.

I don't think Roeder or Allardyce (the latter especially) are really poor managers.

Roeder was a fucking wank manager - not only his time here, but his entire managerial career, have shown that. ???

I liked Allardyce to start with and he had some decent methods... painfully out of his depth though. Didn't know how to spend money and didn't really know how to work with the players he had (which, tbf, was a very attacking squad).

he wouldnt get the time.

From whom?

the fans/mongs.

Souness - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Roeder - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Allardyce - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Kinnear - meh

sorry, that may have been mis read, i didnt mean all fans were mongs, just the one's who are, wouldnt give him the time.

Ah ok, yeah. :thup:

martinez seem's like one of a very few manager's that can coach players, something this club minus kk hasn't done

this youth policy is useless without the right coaches and managers to nurture the talent they have, this is something i believe martinez could do

:nods:

he wouldnt get the time.

From whom?

the fans/mongs.

Dalglish - class manager, did ok, fans give him no time

Gullit - shite manager, did dhite, fans gave him no time in the world

Sir Bobby - class manager, did well, fans gave him all the time in the worlduntil we finished 5th and the fans turn on his back.

Souness - shite manager, did shite, fans gave him no time

Roeder - shite manager, did shite, fans gave him no time

Allardyce - shite manager, did shite, fans gave him no time

Kinnear - meh

So its not fair but he's right.

Im sorry but i disagree with most of that post, newcastle fans wont see the sense in this appointment becasue there are only 3 types of managers who are good enough for this club - the world class appointments, the local lengends and the flavour of the months. Martinsez isnt mentioned enough on match of the day to be considerd flavour of the month yet.

No time - no chance to succeed. Out of the 8 appointments, in my opinion nufc fans have called it right 4 times, definitely.