Roberto Martinez

Mr. Snrub

he wouldnt get the time.

From whom?

the fans/mongs.

That's kinda tarring people with the same brush and it's not really fair.

Dalglish - class manager, did ok, fans give him no time

Gullit - s**** manager, did dhite, fans gave him no time in the world

Sir Bobby - class manager, did well, fans gave him all the time in the worlduntil we finished 5th and the fans turn on his back.

Souness - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Roeder - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Allardyce - s**** manager, did s****, fans gave him no time

Keegan - class manager, did well in the grand scheme of things, fans gave him all the time in the world

Kinnear - meh

Should we, by some stroke of luck, appoint someone like Martinez - his 'time' would depend entirely on how he started. I don't think he'd unpopular appointment but he is a bit of an unknown quantity. If he started badly then fans would get on his back instantly... so in fairness to you, in this respect you would be right calling them mongs - given where we are atm, and given the potential of this manager.

In the past however - whenever a manager hasn't been given time, the fans have been dead right tbh.

So its not fair but he's right.

Im sorry but i disagree with most of that post, newcastle fans wont see the sense in this appointment becasue there are only 3 types of managers who are good enough for this club - the world class appointments, the local lengends and the flavour of the months. Martinsez isnt mentioned enough on match of the day to be considerd flavour of the month yet.

No time - no chance to succeed. Out of the 8 appointments, in my opinion nufc fans have called it right 4 times, definitely.

As far as lower league managers go, he pretty much is the current flavor of the month already.

Just read some of the papers, the media wanking machine is in full swing.

By the end of the season, I think he'll be high enough in status that even most of the "mong" fans will give him time. He's already being called "the next Arsene Wenger"

I don't think Roeder or Allardyce (the latter especially) are really poor managers.

They are both terrible managers especially the latter.  I wonder if Allardyce has taken his stupidly expensive backroom staff with him to Blackburn? Hopefully he'll soon be signing the players dumped on Newcastle, i.e. Cacapa, Barton, Smith, Viduka and Butt (extended contract during Allardyce's term here).

Not that I'm trying to suggest that John Bond (Roeder's assistant) and Allardyce's son are connected in any way with Shepherd's son Ken or his brother Bruce in allegedly milking the club during Freddie's time as Chairman...while some of these were implicated in the BBC documentary about shady dealings, it's probably all a massive coincidence.

Guest Howaythetoon

Every single manager we have had has enjoyed the support of fans by and large on those stands where it matters so it is literally bull shit to even claim that fans give so and so no time whatsoever. Big Sam's black and white army was in full voice at Stoke and while there were boos and dissent in a few matches before that most noticeably at home to Liverpool that was fans' way of saying we don't agree with your selections, or the level of performance, your tactics or the results and the media and some of our own fans (you know the ones, they are constantly on their high horse) often wrongly interpret that as "FANS DEMAND (insert manager's name here) HEAD" when in reality it isn't like that at all. Even Souness, the most universally condemned appointment we've ever had arguably enjoyed support he never really deserved.

Yes there were sack him/he needs to go threads (and sentiment) on here and other forums regarding Souness, Roeder, Big Sam and even Kinnear but when did that ever materialise on the stands? Hardly ever.

Back to the misinterpretation of boos and such, I can remember KK's decision to sub Martins being greeted with a chorus of boos, fans were not booing KK though or saying "hey we don't like you, we want you out" but booing a decision many obviously didn't agree with and while such level of "dissent" is usually derided or mocked or misinterpreted by the media, I personally find it to be a strength of fans' feelings for their club that no matter who is in charge or how well we are doing if there is something we don't agree with or see as good enough or beneficial to our club we will have our say and that's called pride in your club and passion for your club, sometimes it is misguided but that doesn't make it wrong of fans.

There was no misinterpretation of the booing of the Martins subbing by KK from fans and media because a fans unhappy with manager story would never sell, it was KK after all.

Fans shouting "you don't know what you're doing" at Big Sam wasn't fans shouting "we want Allardyce out". Most of the talk on the stands and in the pubs during those games under Big Sam was about how he had to change his ways to succeed here and not how we had to get rid... that kind of talk was mostly promoted on the likes of here and as we've seen with the whole Ashley and KK thing the views on forums are often totaly different to the views around Toon or at the match. Go figure as to why...

I'm sick of this whole the fans are to blame attitude or this negative view of fans which not surprisingly seems to reside solely on forums.

If we appointed Martinez he'd enjoy tremendous support on the stands as would any manager and indeed the team (6,000 away to Blackburn, cheering for NUFC every time Liverpool scored, Cardiff etc.). Of course fans place pressure on managers, players and the club and of course were Martinez appointed or whoever was selecting the wrong lineup, making major mistakes or had the team performing poor, fans will be the first to let him know and rightly so.

Have the team playing well though and doing all the right things.... well there is no better place to be on a saturday afternoon if you're a manager. Ask Alex Ferguson who after the 4-3 win over Man Utd allegedly told Sir Bobby he's a lucky bastard to have us as fans.

Any new manager will get a chance at SJP, fuck me even Souness did and no-one on the day he was appointed was happy, everyone was mortified but even towards the end only a handful dared to chant for his head and to be honest I myself never personally heard any of that although there was one banner at Man City.

Taxi for Roeder etc. was mainly a protest against Shepherd and our shit season and not so much Roeder himself.

NUFC fans are actually too patient and too fucking easy to please.

No-one will ever stop fans from having their say though, not here anywhere. Booing and debating about all things NUFC is as much a tradition at this club as number 9s and not winning trophies. Read the history books, in the Edwardian days fans would buy fruit outside SJP to throw at the players if they didn't perform well enough. A vital 0-0 draw that had us on our way to winning the league was once greeted with boos and angry letters in the chronicle.

SJP is to NUFC fans what the Coliseum was to the Romans, we take our fucking football seriously, too serious I know but hey that's NUFC for you and long may it continue.

Wouldn't give him time or any manager for that matter...  :rolleyes:

PS Both Dalglish and Gullit and their respective sides received a civic reception for failing to win the FA Cup. What was it that Henry Winter said about NUFC fans?

Every single manager we have had has enjoyed the support of fans by and large on those stands where it matters so it is literally bull shit to even claim that fans give so and so no time whatsoever. Big Sam's black and white army was in full voice at Stoke and while there were boos and dissent in a few matches before that most noticeably at home to Liverpool that was fans' way of saying we don't agree with your selections, or the level of performance, your tactics or the results and the media and some of our own fans (you know the ones, they are constantly on their high horse) often wrongly interpret that as "FANS DEMAND (insert manager's name here) HEAD" when in reality it isn't like that at all. Even Souness, the most universally condemned appointment we've ever had arguably enjoyed support he never really deserved.

Yes there were sack him/he needs to go threads (and sentiment) on here and other forums regarding Souness, Roeder, Big Sam and even Kinnear but when did that ever materialise on the stands? Hardly ever.

Back to the misinterpretation of boos and such, I can remember KK's decision to sub Martins being greeted with a chorus of boos, fans were not booing KK though or saying "hey we don't like you, we want you out" but booing a decision many obviously didn't agree with and while such level of "dissent" is usually derided or mocked or misinterpreted by the media, I personally find it to be a strength of fans' feelings for their club that no matter who is in charge or how well we are doing if there is something we don't agree with or see as good enough or beneficial to our club we will have our say and that's called pride in your club and passion for your club, sometimes it is misguided but that doesn't make it wrong of fans.

There was no misinterpretation of the booing of the Martins subbing by KK from fans and media because a fans unhappy with manager story would never sell, it was KK after all.

Fans shouting "you don't know what you're doing" at Big Sam wasn't fans shouting "we want Allardyce out". Most of the talk on the stands and in the pubs during those games under Big Sam was about how he had to change his ways to succeed here and not how we had to get rid... that kind of talk was mostly promoted on the likes of here and as we've seen with the whole Ashley and KK thing the views on forums are often totaly different to the views around Toon or at the match. Go figure as to why...

I'm sick of this whole the fans are to blame attitude or this negative view of fans which not surprisingly seems to reside solely on forums.

If we appointed Martinez he'd enjoy tremendous support on the stands as would any manager and indeed the team (6,000 away to Blackburn, cheering for NUFC every time Liverpool scored, Cardiff etc.). Of course fans place pressure on managers, players and the club and of course were Martinez appointed or whoever was selecting the wrong lineup, making major mistakes or had the team performing poor, fans will be the first to let him know and rightly so.

Have the team playing well though and doing all the right things.... well there is no better place to be on a saturday afternoon if you're a manager. Ask Alex Ferguson who after the 4-3 win over Man Utd allegedly told Sir Bobby he's a lucky bastard to have us as fans.

Any new manager will get a chance at SJP, fuck me even Souness did and no-one on the day he was appointed was happy, everyone was mortified but even towards the end only a handful dared to chant for his head and to be honest I myself never personally heard any of that although there was one banner at Man City.

Taxi for Roeder etc. was mainly a protest against Shepherd and our shit season and not so much Roeder himself.

NUFC fans are actually too patient and too fucking easy to please.

No-one will ever stop fans from having their say though, not here anywhere. Booing and debating about all things NUFC is as much a tradition at this club as number 9s and not winning trophies. Read the history books, in the Edwardian days fans would buy fruit outside SJP to throw at the players if they didn't perform well enough. A vital 0-0 draw that had us on our way to winning the league was once greeted with boos and angry letters in the chronicle.

SJP is to NUFC fans what the Coliseum was to the Romans, we take our fucking football seriously, too serious I know but hey that's NUFC for you and long may it continue.

Wouldn't give him time or any manager for that matter...  :rolleyes:

PS Both Dalglish and Gullit and their respective sides received a civic reception for failing to win the FA Cup. What was it that Henry Winter said about NUFC fans?

I agree, NUFC fans are generally very willing to give players a chance and in fact are hugely supportive on the whole. That said, it's probably the same fans singing the Shola song who will slag him off on internet forums when they can vent without being disruptive.

Martinez or any other bright young coach should be given our support assuming the club have enough balls to appoint someone like this. Arsene Wenger came from Japanese football after all.

Swansea lost today the first one since November. His assessment of the deafeat was very frank and well spoted. I am not sure if the time is right now but one day this guy can be our messhia mark II.

You mean spit his dummy have a tantrum and go sulk in his bedroom?

• 3 months later...

Celtic want Swans boss Martinez

Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez.

Swansea confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that the Scottish giants have asked to speak to Martinez about becoming Gordon Strachan's successor at Celtic Park.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez, one of British football's youngest managers at 35, has earned rave reviews for his handling of Swansea.

Promotion from League One was followed last season by a highly creditable eighth-place finish in their first year back at Championship level.

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

That success has been achieved through an exciting brand of attacking, skilful football that has seen the Spaniard linked with managerial jobs at the likes of Wigan and Real Sociedad, while Reading are also thought to be admirers.

Martinez is on holiday in Ibiza at the moment but Jenkins expects his prize asset to be back at the Liberty Stadium later this week.

"I'll probably speak to him [Martinez] between now and Wednesday but later on in the week he'll be back home to run through his thoughts with me," Jenkins added.

"First and foremost it's about his position here and how we see that, and we'll consider all that first before any sort of what else he may do.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the [scottish Premier] League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club.

"Naturally I suppose that interest would require anybody to sit and consider their position.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue.

606: DEBATE

His girlfriend is Scottish... he's getting married in the summer. Very worrying indeed

CarmarthenJack22

"Roberto has got to consider his future and where his commitment lies."

Martinez is no stranger to football north of the border, having played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, while his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Strachan, who left Celtic Park last week after four years at the helm, is believed to have recommended Motherwell's Mark McGhee as his successor.

Everton manager David Moyes has ruled out any return to Scotland at the moment.

But Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates.

Would certainly help us next year if he goes to Celtic.

Guarenteed to bring Gomez to Celtic with him though.

I'd be suprised if he turned them down, would be a good move for a couple of years, then providing he doesnt mess up the easiest job in the world he could move to a big Premier League or European side.

Was going to happen sooner or later like.

That we knew, but his language has always indicated that he would stay for at least 4-5 years, it seems Swansea is a job half done. He may still stay but this waiting is painful.

Guest michaelfoster

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

Interesting thing to say in an interview

Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez has revealed he would be interested in becoming Celtic's new manager.

Martinez appears to have become Celtic's top target to replace Gordon Strachan and the Bhoys have made an approach for the Spaniard.

Championship side Swansea rejected the request and remain hopeful that Martinez will stay at Liberty Stadium.

However, Martinez has suggested it would be difficult to pass up the opportunity to succeed Strachan at Parkhead.

Ambition

"Managing Celtic is one of the top jobs in European football.," Martinez told the Glasgow Evening Times.

"Any young aspiring manager with ambition would be interested in a job like that.

"It gives you the chance of being involved in Champions League football and the opportunity of silverware every season."

Martinez, who has also been linked with former club Wigan Athletic and Real Sociedad, has impressed during his two years in charge of Swansea.

And, despite Huw Jenkins' desire to keep him in South Wales, Martinez is optimistic the Swansea chairman will allow him to move on.

"Everything has to be sorted with Swansea first," he added.

"I have an agreement in place with the Swansea chairman as to what would happen and I'd want that to be honoured."

Going to Celtic would be the worst thing Martinez could do.

He's got all the attributes to become a top manager, so why waste away in a shit league where there's a 50/50 chance of winning it every season.

Going to Celtic would be the worst thing Martinez could do.

He's got all the attributes to become a top manager, so why waste away in a shit league where there's a 50/50 chance of winning it every season.

This. Should give it at least one more season in Wales.

Guest Ebolarama

Nah, he hasn't. He's just said he knows one of the guys going there as a coach or something.

Yeah, but if you read all his quotes, Adams comes across as a deluded nutter who sounds like he's talked himself into the job already, just because his chum Wim might be going as technical director  ;D