Roberto Martinez

Mr. Snrub

Of course, Swansea passing us by on their way up would be the ultimate irony.

Although I'd love to see them come up. Wouldn't they be the "smallest" club to play in the Premiership in quite some time?

I'd say Wigan and Hull are both smaller historically.

Although I'd love to see them come up. Wouldn't they be the "smallest" club to play in the Premiership in quite some time?

definitely Wigan, astonishing how little history they have and how meteoric their rise has been.

If Sir John Hall was serious about finding such a good manager how come he passed his Son and FFS apointed Souness,Roader, and Big Sam? Non have a history of playing carpet football and attractive attaking football yet they hired by those irresponsible dirctors.

Ashley will go for his freinds and people he knows/trust thats why we need a postive demo to let it be know we as supporters want certain candidite. If we become one and demand some one I don't think he have the guts to disappoint us.

Thoughts?

In 2 years he's won League 1 with Swansea and now got them 1 point off a play off spot in the Championship, developing a good cup run aswell, winning convincingly away to a Premiership team.

Everyone goes on about how Shearer should prove his worth in the lower leagues before he should become manager with us, well that's exactly what Martinez has done.  Young, hungry manager who's got a team playing some really good football.

The fact is, we are no longer a club that will attract a top class manager.  I think Martinez would be a decent shout as our next boss.

Good call. I was thinking about him today

But then I thought about Paul Ince who also did well in the lower leagues......

definitely Wigan, astonishing how little history they have and how meteoric their rise has been.

Swansea did play in the old First Division at one point - under Toshack?  For both Wigan and Hull, it was the first time they had played in the top division.

If Sir John Hall was serious about finding such a good manager how come he passed his Son and FFS apointed Souness,Roader, and Big Sam? Non have a history of playing carpet football and attractive attaking football yet they hired by those irresponsible dirctors.

Ashley will go for his freinds and people he knows/trust thats why we need a postive demo to let it be know we as supporters want certain candidite. If we become one and demand some one I don't think he have the guts to disappoint us.

SJH wanted Bobby Robson when Keegan left but Doug Hall and Fat Fred persuaded him Dalglish was the better choice. He's not about to tell the Chairman who to appoint after resigning the duty himself.

Has Swansea playing some really nice football and has had the golden touch there.

Would be a bold move if we went for him, if we did I would certainly hope we gave him someone with experience to consult or work with, fair enough he has come up smelling of roses so far but how is he going to cope if we are fighting relegation and morale is low or we go on a long losing streak? People would soon rip him apart.

Naturally there are many positives to appointing a young and succesful coach but it can easily be flipped around. Is it a risk the club will take given the fragile state its in now and probably still will be for another year or so, I dont think so. I wouldnt.

SJH wanted Bobby Robson when Keegan left but Doug Hall and Fat Fred persuaded him Dalglish was the better choice. He's not about to tell the Chairman who to appoint after resigning the duty himself.

That and SBR turning us down. Dalglish had a thankless task rebuilding the academy and reserves, balls up the first team mind!

Guest Sniffer

SBR only became a newcastle supporter when it suited him. I've said that all along even though I am grateful to him for the time he was here. By then he was past it though.

I don't recall many people who were against the Dalglish appointment.

SBR only became a newcastle supporter when it suited him. I've said that all along even though I am grateful to him for the time he was here. By then he was past it though.

I don't recall many people who were against the Dalglish appointment.

:lol: Are you Freddie in disguise?

Sir John took NO active part in the day-to-day running of the club after he left as stand-in Chairman in 1998. He DID tell the board to get their act together over their delay in appointing SBR in 99, but after that it was entirely up to FS & DH.

No blame can be attached to him for signing Souness or anyone after him.

That and SBR turning us down. Dalglish had a thankless task rebuilding the academy and reserves, balls up the first team mind!

I agree - it was AFTER SBR turned the club down that KD was appointed..

Dalglish DID have a tough job because as you say, he had to restart the Reserves & Juniors as well as having to operate on a tighter budget than KK because the club had become a PLC in 97.

I thought some of his buys were great value ; Given , Solano and Hammann for 3 and if he had not been fired - far too soon into the 98/99 season - I reckon he would have done a decent job.

Sir John took NO active part in the day-to-day running of the club after he left as stand-in Chairman in 1998. He DID tell the board to get their act together over their delay in appointing SBR in 99, but after that it was entirely up to FS & DH.

No blame can be attached to him for signing Souness or anyone after him.

Uh-oh!

Having seen Swansea play several times in the last two years and my neighbour being an avid fan, I am somewhat biased, but Martinez is a very competent manager who encourages his teams to play fooball. Whether he is good enough will never be found out here, as there are so many obsessed with the BIG CLUB senario. We are a fotball club like any other, being a dumping ground for worn out stars is not the route to success. Lets face it even when Gordon Lee turned the club around, he was vilified for selling our STAR, but not honoured for his success. Will it ever change? Not in my lifetime unfortunately.

Joe Kinnear is OUR manager ffs - his track record of BIG CLUB SUCCESS speaks for itself. We are where we are and have got what we deserve.

Having seen Swansea play several times in the last two years and my neighbour being an avid fan, I am somewhat biased, but Martinez is a very competent manager who encourages his teams to play fooball. Whether he is good enough will never be found out here, as there are so many obsessed with the BIG CLUB senario. We are a fotball club like any other, being a dumping ground for worn out stars is not the route to success. Lets face it even when Gordon Lee turned the club around, he was vilified for selling our STAR, but not honoured for his success. Will it ever change? Not in my lifetime unfortunately.

Joe Kinnear is OUR manager ffs - his track record of BIG CLUB SUCCESS speaks for itself. We are where we are and have got what we deserve.

You make a very good point about Gordon Lee - people slag him for selling Macdonald but he wanted to replace him with Trevor Francis and the board wouldn't cough up the extra that Brum wanted..he eventually signed for Cloughie at Forest...

Lee moulded us into a very competitive side in his first season(75/76)and we reached the LC Final and the FA Cup Qtr final ; we beat Everton 5-0 abd it should have been 7, Coventry 5-0 in 5th round replay, Champs Derby 4-3 in the final minute, and Spurs 3-2 on aggr over 2 LC semi-finals..both Macdonald and Gowling scored plenty of goals(I think both exceeded 20)and Mickey Burns also got about 15...only the centre of defence let us down, with that clown Keeley as CH..

Lee still had Newcastle in 5th place when Everton approached him the following January, but the board's lack of ambition decided him to leave..we still managed to qualify for the UEFA Cup.

Guest Howaythetoon

I was working in Swansea yesterday and he is literally their KK, they love him. Mind quite a few reckon he'd be ideal for us and I was quite surprised at how well liked NUFC in Swansea.

Guest optimistic nit

i think it would be good for football and his career if he stayed at swansea tbh, and i hope he does.

:idiot2:

except it would. managers can burn out quickly as well and if martinez left swansea now for a big club and failed it would be very bad for his career, look at ince who could well turn out to be a good manager. he has good conditions at swansea to play the football he wants to play and as long as their ambitions match his own he should stay (as he said). he's only 35, he has arguably another 35 years as a manager if he turns out to be a good one so why should he feel like he needs to rush straight to the premiership instead of learning the ropes at swansea and then going to a bigger club when he's taken them as far as he can. he will be given time at swansea, can you imagine many pl chairman sticking with martinez, a manager who has never managed a top flight team if after 8-12 months their team is struggling.

it would also be good for football because one of the problems with the game at the moment is everybody is after a quick fix. if martinez is patient and recognises he has a long career ahead of him it would show not everyone in football is after to maximise their short term profit without paying attention to long term goals.

In some respects, we could be perfect for Martinez as I dont think Ashley is likely to put any demands on the manager, ie. CL/UEFA is a MUST - certainly at least while the finances are being taken care of. During that time, Martinez may be allowed the correct amount of time to assemble his squad and to implement his style on the team.

Judging by the general comments on Swansea, I think his style of football would develop a level of understanding and patience from the fanbase as well.

In some respects, we could be perfect for Martinez as I dont think Ashley is likely to put any demands on the manager, ie. CL/UEFA is a MUST - certainly at least while the finances are being taken care of. During that time, Martinez may be allowed the correct amount of time to assemble his squad and to implement his style on the team.

Judging by the general comments on Swansea, I think his style of football would develop a level of understanding and patience from the fanbase as well.

apart from insisting that he work under a director of football, which is more than likely the most important 'demand' and sees us offering long term contracts to dross like kinnear

apart from insisting that he work under a director of football, which is more than likely the most important 'demand' and sees us offering long term contracts to dross like kinnear

Well... yes... that was kind of in the hope that Ashley suddenly developed an understanding of what was required from the manager and recognising the abilities of Martinez.

As you rightly remind though, the offering of a long term contract to Kinnear doesnt suggest he is currently capable of making a sensible choice of manager

i think it would be good for football and his career if he stayed at swansea tbh, and i hope he does.

:idiot2:

except it would. managers can burn out quickly as well and if martinez left swansea now for a big club and failed it would be very bad for his career, look at ince who could well turn out to be a good manager. he has good conditions at swansea to play the football he wants to play and as long as their ambitions match his own he should stay (as he said). he's only 35, he has arguably another 35 years as a manager if he turns out to be a good one so why should he feel like he needs to rush straight to the premiership instead of learning the ropes at swansea and then going to a bigger club when he's taken them as far as he can. he will be given time at swansea, can you imagine many pl chairman sticking with martinez, a manager who has never managed a top flight team if after 8-12 months their team is struggling.

it would also be good for football because one of the problems with the game at the moment is everybody is after a quick fix. if martinez is patient and recognises he has a long career ahead of him it would show not everyone in football is after to maximise their short term profit without paying attention to long term goals.

I only care about NUFC. It was the bit in bold I couldn't understand.

Whether he would leave Swansea is debateable, it would be nice if we at least made the effort to try and get him here. Vetere must know a bit about him, it's unlikely Ashley hasn't been made aware of Martinez' success at Swansea. The club might just consider it a bit too risky to take the plunge.