Roberto Martinez

Mr. Snrub

I loved watching Swansea today, for a team on such less wages and ability they really stuck well to a tight passing system.  They had the balls to play short passes to people tightly marked around the edge of the box, and the movement off such passes to create space and accept a return ball was great.  They brought the wingers in to the game very well too.  I also liked the fact they rarely went back to the keeper to hoof it up the pitch (something I hate in football as it's 50/50 if you will get the ball back) - in fact when they did go back to keeper he'd played it around the back four to maintain possesion.

I doubt it will happen, but wouldn't mind Martinez having a go here.  With better players he could get even more out of the system he plays.

unless our teams swap divisions, of course he'd come here. managers have the foresight to look at potential and status when it comes to jobs. as bad as things are for us at the moment, we'll still always be bigger and most likely better than swansea - who might just be a flash in the pan for a couple of years. maybe in our depressing bubble, we're on par with swansea. but to the rest of the world, newcastle or swansea is no contest, thankfully.

its a moot point though, cos ashley would never go for anyone that might possibly do well here.

could do another hitzfeld :D Atleast that is something better than protesting, which can only damage the club more.

---------------------

Absloutly true, protesting only hinder our chances it is time to act positivly toward a change.

a Positive campaign could only help everyone at the club .

It's slowly going from the point where he's a bit of a gamble to the point where he's to good for us.

Not really.  ???

The media hype-machine is in full swing. His name is getting out there now and he'll be in high demand come summer.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could get a better job than ours.

It's slowly going from the point where he's a bit of a gamble to the point where he's to good for us.

Not really.  ???

The media hype-machine is in full swing. His name is getting out there now and he'll be in high demand come summer.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he could get a better job than ours.

First line I'm not so sure about. I'd say he is getting some good exposure for the good work he is doing.  High demand? - well that requires lots of clubs to be without a manager at the same time?

Also, how would you quantify what is a better job than ours? is it one with more money? bigger stadium? better players? in Europe already? - I understand your point, but not sure what clubs that are doing better than us are looking like sacking their manager and going for Martinez.  Surely the media hype-machine is getting to you sir?

Not really.  ???

First line I'm not so sure about. I'd say he is getting some good exposure for the good work he is doing.  High demand? - well that requires lots of clubs to be without a manager at the same time?

Also, how would you quantify what is a better job than ours? is it one with more money? bigger stadium? better players? in Europe already? - I understand your point, but not sure what clubs that are doing better than us are looking like sacking their manager and going for Martinez.  Surely the media hype-machine is getting to you sir?

I don't have anywhere particular in mind but we're not exactly the most attractive proposition in the world and I could imagine him turning us down for someplace decent.

Just a feeling, that's all.

Not really.  ???

I don't have anywhere particular in mind but we're not exactly the most attractive proposition in the world and I could imagine him turning us down for someplace decent.

That's fair enough, I guess it's going to take me longer and some more success to Martinez before I'm feeling the same.

Not really.  ???

That's fair enough, I guess it's going to take me longer and some more success to Martinez before I'm feeling the same.

It's all moot anyway since we'll apparently have Joe Kinnear in charge until the end of time.

From January 2008:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/7185930.stm

Newcastle link flatters Martinez

Swansea City manager Roberto Martinez says he is flattered to have been linked with the vacant manager's position at Newcastle United.

Magpies life president Sir John Hall has told BBC 5 Live that Martinez might be a good fit for the Newcastle job.

But Martinez, who has guided the Swans to the top of League One, says he has no intention of leaving south Wales.

"I've got a lot of things to do here. The day I won't be at Swansea City will not be down to me," said Martinez.

"It's flattering [to be linked with Newcastle] especially when it comes from well respected figures within the game. It's a great compliment.

"All the fans should be happy because it means we must be doing something right. When you get that sort of attention from the outside it's very pleasing.

"But we need to keep working and not lose focus on what we're doing on a daily basis."

Hall admitted that Martinez would not be a leading candidate to take over the St James' Park hot-seat from Sam Allardyce, whose 24-game reign ended by "mutual consent" last week.

But the former Newcastle chairman, who sold his 41.6% stake in the club to businessman Mike Ashley in May 2007, said people in the British game were taking notice of what Martinez is achieving.

Chairman Huw Jenkins says that boss Roberto Martinez is staying with Swansea despite speculation linking the Spaniard to managerless Newcastle.

"Do you go for a big name, like the (Guus) Hiddink, or do you try and find someone who can give us the football we had under (Kevin) Keegan," Hall said.

"There's the Swansea manager, Martinez, who seems to be turning them around."

Hall's admiration of Martinez was welcomed by Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins, who viewed it as vindication for appointing the Spaniard to his first managerial position just under a year ago.

Jenkins also stressed the club had no intention of letting their prized manager leave and is confident Martinez could achieve any immediate ambitions with Swansea.

"He hasn't been in the job 12 months yet and he's got a long way to go with us," Jenkins told BBC Wales Sport.

"It's natural we're going to get speculation with the team doing well under Roberto, but I'm not worried.

"When we do well as a club, Roberto is going to get linked with many positions but it's just something we're going to have to accept."

Swansea are flying high in League One this season, three points clear of Nottingham Forest at the top of the table and with a game in hand.

The south Wales club maintained their momentum on Saturday by overcoming a spirited Luton, beating the financially stricken club 3-1 at Kenilworth Road.

Swansea had their own brush with liquidation in 2002 and Martinez has every sympathy with the Hatters' plight.

"It's a sad situation, a club like Luton Town with a huge history, to be in this situation and I think we all feel for them," Martinez said.

"We hope they will turn the corner very quickly and they will have a bright future."

Guest Heneage

Be interesting to see his thoughts on it now. He needs to stay there for a bit first, the last thing he wants is to be like Paul Ince and come up too quick.

Be interesting to see his thoughts on it now. He needs to stay there for a bit first, the last thing he wants is to be like Paul Ince and come up too quick.

If he is a sensible man he'd only leave if he felt he was ready to take on the challenge and make it a success, that applies to then and now.  The other thing is, regardless if he is got what it takes or not, no manager would come out saying "wow, amazing link! I'd love to manage that club, the money, the stadium... fuck me its miles ahead of this dump!" so it's kind of hard to take much out his comments until a firm offer is on the table for his services.  By the sounds of it, he cleverly directed the attention from his success to that of the players and the club.