Newcastle United 1 - 1 Mackems - 01/02/09 - Post match reaction from page 26

JH

When you see the penalty, look at Malbranque's feet, he actually catches Taylor with one foot, which is actually when he goes down.

No need to defend the decision, it was given.

Will continue to stress that it was MINIMAL CONTACT and Taylor could have stayed on his feet. 

Clear dive.

Was pointless lobbing so many balls and crosses in there. Ameobi was winning nothing in dangerous positions and when he was free he passed back accross behind everyone.

Was end to end in the last 10 minutes very scary. End of the day it's only one point again :(

what else could we have done? we don't have many footballers in the team.

get the wanker off for a start

Harper - 8

Taylor - 7

Bassong - 9

Colo - 6

Enrique - 8

Duff - 6

Butt - 6

Nolan - 6

Jonas - 7

Carroll - 7

Ameobi - 2

shola is shXt!

penalty goal cannot cover his shXt peformance

why he can play full 90mins?

cheating is wrong, unless you get caught.  Steven Taylor didn't and for that I thank the fucker.  Fuck Slumdog Millionaire and all that shite, give the guy an Oscar.

In all seriousness, they edged it first half, but we battered them in the second.  It would have been interesting to see the outcome had we had 2 from Owen/Martins/Viduka fit.  They had their best 2, and we were playing with a kid with little experience and a donkey.  They appear to offer very little without Cisse.  IMO, they'd have been better selling Jones if they could get someone else.

Fuck knows where we'd have been without Nolan, he impressed me.

MoTM for me goes to Enrique, considering the problems he's had.  Was impressed with the way he got forward, but also held his nerve defensively.

A point gained and its WBA next week.  Hopefully Martins and possibly Viduka will be back.  Lets do them and IMO, in we'll be alreet.

Still need a right winger, Jonas is far better on the left and Duff doesn't do the job.

Overall it was an OK performance, at least we showed some effort even if the skill was lacking at times.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We didn't batter them in the 2nd half. They still had the better chances then. Chopra through on Harps should have been a goal, very easy chance.

What a shower of shite that was :( The softest of penalties covering up what was, under the circumstances, a poor derby effort. Not at the races in the first half, and while it was good to see plenty of endevour in the second there was little to cheer about. Ameobi and Butt should be charged with fraud for calling themselves professional footballers...

Harper 6

Taylor 6

Colocini 5

Bassong 8

Jose Enrique 6

Jonas 7

Nolan 7

Butt 4

Duff 5

Ameobi 4

Carroll 6

Very few positives other than Bassong, Jonas and a solid debut for Nolan. On the performance it was a point gained, but we really, really needed all three against a very poor mackem side.

We didn't batter them in the 2nd half. They still had the better chances then. Chopra through on Harps should have been a goal, very easy chance.

We did 'batter' them in the sense that we had possession for long spells and played the ball on the ground. Their hopeful punts up the field were only magnified due to our defence's inability to deal with a bouncing ball.

That said, yes, they should've scored on the counter, as should have we if we actually had one decent striker up there.

Harper  7

Taylor  7

Coloccini  6

Bassong  8

Enrique  8

Duff  5

Nolan  6

Butt  4

Jonas 8

Carroll 7

Ameobi 7

Overall, I'm content. We were up for it and the fight was there even in the First Half. Second Half we were fantastic and probably should have won it. Jonas caused them problems all day he just needs to work on his final ball. No one can tell me Enrique is a bad footballer the lad was outstanding today. Both Carroll and Ameobi played well and won battles in the air. Bassong was his usual brilliant self and Coloccini was solid apart from his mistake on their goal. Nolan had a decent game, and did extremely well in clearing the ball off the line. Well done to Taylor for winning that penalty as well. Butt, however is terrible, he's strong in the tackle but his passing is just god awful, Duff did ok, but again the end product was missing.

Play like we did second half for a full 90 and we'll shit all over West Brom. Kinnear just needs to get it into the players heads that in a relegation battle you have to approach every game like its a derby.

Guest LucaAltieri

13 Harper 7/10: Solid today. Made a couple of important saves and did some fantastic cleaning up at the back, coming off his line and out of his area to remove the danger. It's also refreshing to have a keeper who can kick, too.

27 Taylor 7/10: Put in a good shift down the right. Despite being out of position he still looks more comfortable there than Carr ever did. Got forward many times, linked up well with Duff and eventually won us a pen.

12 Bassong 9/10: Easily man of the match. Couldn't have done much more than he did.

02 Coloccini 6/10: I had high hopes for Colo and he has shown a lot of intelligence in his reading of the game but his lack of ability in the air is killing us. At fault for their goal today.

03 Jose Enrique 7/10: Fantastic going forward. His work at the back was more just keeping things tidy as there wasn't much coming down that side. Good effort.

18 Gutierrez 8/10: Needs more end product but he works harder than anyone else on the pitch, he causes defender's problems, 3 mackems booked for challenges on Jonas because they simply couldn't get anywhere near him. If we didn't have him in midfield this season would already be over.

22 Butt 5/10: Still misplacing passes. Still misplacing freekicks and crosses. No legs. A captain who doesn't speak/lead.

04 Nolan 6/10: Decent debut. Obviously hasn't found his role in the team just yet but showed a couple of good glimpses in the first half. Faded a bit in the second.

11 Duff 6/10: A couple of decent bits of play. Fantastic cross in the second half which Shola should have buried. Good linkup play with Taylor down the right. Still should be nowhere near the first team. Always half a second behind the play.

39 Carroll 7/10: Good effort. Won just about every ball he went in for. Had the ball in the net but later ruled out for offside against Shola.  Really puts himself about.

23 Ameobi 7/10: Good penalty otherwise shite in front of goal. in terms of build-up play I think he may be essential, though. He's able to bring the ball down, turn players, win freekicks. Poor man's Viduka but still attributes we need in this side. I'm probably going to get slated for that but that's the situation we're in.

30 Edgar n/a: Came on at a difficult time. Didn't look fantastic.

24 Lovenkrands n/a: Lively. Can cross the ball. If Carroll plays then Lovenkrands needs to play. Simple as that really.

16 Chopra 8/10: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Something has to be done about how we playing in the first half of games.

We just arent hitting the ground running. Conceeding sloppy goals that make us even shakier at the back then struggling to unlock any doors to get into the game.

1996 home game vs Villa is on now on Sportsnet, a very depressing contrast.

The commitment was there today, I've never seen the players work so hard so far this season. Even Shola put in an alright shift. After a poor first half where we were outplayed in all fairness we responded with character and gusto and at least deserved a point. That said, we really needed a win and this just shifts all the pressure onto the Brom game. Still, positives to be taken and I'm hopeful the lack of quality in the final ball will be improved with Martins and Taylor in the side.

Harper - 7: Lots of pressure on him today with the whole Given thing and he did very well I thought.

Taylor - 7: Good going forward, won the penalty. Did well.

Bassong - 9: An absolute beast. Dealt with Jones and Cisse very, very well on the most part, two quality centre forwards. Crocked Cisse and possibly Jones as well, top man.

Coloccini - 6: Shaky. Completely at fault for the goal but didn't let it get to him and had a pretty solid second half.

Enrique - 8: His best game for me in a black and white shirt. No cock-ups today and not only defended well but was our creative outlet for a bit of the second half with a couple of sublime slide-rule passes. Delivery needs work however.

Duff - 6: Worked hard, final ball was poor. Decent bit of play for the penalty, corners weren't too bad either.

Butt - 6: Almost cost us the game with an awful header and distribution was pretty poor. Won a few decent challenges though.

Nolan - 6: Bit disappointed, thought he was a bit pedestrian. Made some good, positive passes but just didn't see enough of the ball and didn't look particularly mobile either.

Jonas - 7: Can't fault his attitude, gave it a real go. Always going into tackles and running at Bardsley. Final ball was very poor however save for that one for Shola in the second half.

Shola - 6: Didn't look arsed at times but took the penalty very well and was a bit of a handful for their defence.

Carroll - 7: Desperately unlucky to hit the bar and put himself about well.

Subs:

Lovenkrands - 6: Good little cameo, a decent cross and a great little curler with his weaker foot that he was unlucky with. Showed more guile than most today.

Edgar - N/A

Not a great result but the character shown by the players is encouraging, we didn't lose and also crocked Sunderland's best player. Absolutely must beat West Brom but with Taylor and hopefully another one or two in the frame with a fully fit Martins back I don't see why we can't.

We did 'batter' them in the sense that we had possession for long spells and played the ball on the ground. Their hopeful punts up the field were only magnified due to our defence's inability to deal with a bouncing ball.

That said, yes, they should've scored on the counter, as should have we if we actually had one decent striker up there.

yup.

What a shower of shite that was :( The softest of penalties covering up what was, under the circumstances, a poor derby effort. Not at the races in the first half, and while it was good to see plenty of endevour in the second there was little to cheer about. Ameobi and Butt should be charged with fraud for calling themselves professional footballers...

Harper 6

Taylor 6

Colocini 5

Bassong 8

Jose Enrique 6

Jonas 7

Nolan 7

Butt 4

Duff 5

Ameobi 4

Carroll 6

Very few positives other than Bassong, Jonas and a solid debut for Nolan. On the performance it was a point gained, but we really, really needed all three against a very poor mackem side.

Well here's one, Martins should be back for the next game. We'd have buried them with Martins upfront.

So glad we didn't get beat, but i'm slightly disappointed we didn't take the game.

1st half i'd have settled for the draw, but the 2nd half was all us bar a couple of nervy expected moments nearer the end.

Shame.

We were completely toothless upfront. Carroll tried hard but ultimately didnt have any real effect on the game. Ameobi's penalty was fantastic....so cool under such intense pressure.

Jonas and Bassong were just immense. Bassong handled Jones with ease, while the mackems simply couldnt contain Jonas. He was all over them like a rash!

Overall its mixed emotions for me. Im so relieved to not lose yet a disappointed we couldnt finish them off and they've come away from the derbys this season with 4 points off us. It should be the other way round.

WBA game is massive for us.

Play like we did in the second half when we play West Bromwich and we'll absolutely batter them with Martins back.

All things considered I'm just happy we got away with the point. Would've been unbearable having the unwashed doing the double over us. Thank you Chopra, thank you.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper  7

Taylor  7

Coloccini  6

Bassong  8

Enrique  8

Duff  5

Nolan  6

Butt  4

Jonas 8

Carroll 7

Ameobi 7

Overall, I'm content. We were up for it and the fight was there even in the First Half. Second Half we were fantastic and probably should have won it. Jonas caused them problems all day he just needs to work on his final ball. No one can tell me Enrique is a bad footballer the lad was outstanding today. Both Carroll and Ameobi played well and won battles in the air. Bassong was his usual brilliant self and Coloccini was solid apart from his mistake on their goal. Nolan had a decent game, and did extremely well in clearing the ball off the line. Well done to Taylor for winning that penalty as well. Butt, however is terrible, he's strong in the tackle but his passing is just god awful, Duff did ok, but again the end product was missing.

Play like we did second half for a full 90 and we'll s*** all over West Brom. Kinnear just needs to get it into the players heads that in a relegation battle you have to approach every game like its a derby.

You make some good points. Most notably with your avatar.

Can't believe that people are seriously trying to claim that the penalty was anything other than a blatant dive from Taylor, if you go into work tomorrow and try and say it was a legitimate foul then you're just going to look like a dick! Just say: who gives a fuck, it was given, Shola scored, up yours you mackem twats!

Think people are being overly critical of Colo, thought the back four were okay overall, especially Bassong and Enrique who played well, Colo was alright, but Taylor was seriously shaky especially when he was moved into the centre, he didn't seem to be able to keep his feet in either penalty area. Don't know if it was him or not, but that powerful header towards the end was good, thought it was going in for a second.

Also, people are over exaggerating how good Carroll was too, he had that one header off the bar, but I can't remember too much else really, yeah Shola missed a load of chances, but Carroll never even had that many chances, he was also crocked for a large part of the second half during which he was almost anonymous, and let's not forget that Shola scored the goal that means that our weekend isn't a lot, lot worse. Both starting strikers were average in my opinion and Lovenkrands simply must play the next game..

Harper  7

Taylor  7

Coloccini  6

Bassong  8

Enrique  8

Duff  5

Nolan  6

Butt  4

Jonas 8

Carroll 7

Ameobi 7

Play like we did second half for a full 90 and we'll s*** all over West Brom. Kinnear just needs to get it into the players heads that in a relegation battle you have to approach every game like its a derby.

You make some good points. Most notably with your avatar.

Agreed, Martins terrifies defenders. If we have him back for West Brom we will be a lot more confident going forward with him and Jonas on the attack.