Your favourite player/s. Ever.

Syrette

here is an odd one for you - leon andreasen - he used to play for my team in denmark, and i was watched him single handedly destroy FC Copenhagen in Copenhagen where AGF went on to win (like stoke winning at old trafford i suppose)

and btw good call on the salas/zamarano partnership - how great that was

here is an odd one for you - leon andreasen - he used to play for my team in denmark, and i was watched him single handedly destroy FC Copenhagen in Copenhagen where AGF went on to win (like stoke winning at old trafford i suppose)

and btw good call on the salas/zamarano partnership - how great that was

Leon Andreasen.....håber snart hans karriere kommer ordentlig igang! håbede lidt på vi gik efter ham i dette vindue!

Any one I ask who is from an older generation about Tony Green who isn't a Toon fan doesn't hold him in high regard at all, yet every Toon fan who saw him play raves about him like he was Best. His career on paper doesn't stand out at all. Albion Rovers, Blackpool and us with a handful of Scotland caps.

His early career was plagued by a series of serious injuries, and his career only really started to take off in his mid-20's. A number of big clubs were then after him, but the Blackpool manager was a Geordie (Bob Stokoe), and was very keen that Green should sign for Newcastle. He had one blinding season with us, but then just at the point when his career was blossoming, he was struck down by injury for the final time. It's no surprise that fans of other clubs don't remember him, because his period in the limelight was such a short one.

The particular game that stands out for me was at Old Trafford in 1972, when we won 2-0. Man U still had a strong team in those days, and we were right up against it, but they couldn't handle Tony Green. He basically won us the game single handed.

Beardsley/Maradona

Followed by Cole/Gazza/Lee

Old(ish) time "shit but 110% effort" mentions for John Anderson and Kenny Wharton.

The only non NUFC British player I really admire is Giggs.

absolute most favorite: Shearer (toon and all time)

Other toon: Ginola and behind him Lee, Gillespie and Ferdinand

Non-toon: huge fan of Henry, Robert Pires and Zizou

Romario and Bebeto USA 94

Ahn jung hwan - for his goal against Italy....Ahn and Ginola were my inspirations to grow my hair a few of years back  :colo:

Any one I ask who is from an older generation about Tony Green who isn't a Toon fan doesn't hold him in high regard at all, yet every Toon fan who saw him play raves about him like he was Best. His career on paper doesn't stand out at all. Albion Rovers, Blackpool and us with a handful of Scotland caps.

His early career was plagued by a series of serious injuries, and his career only really started to take off in his mid-20's. A number of big clubs were then after him, but the Blackpool manager was a Geordie (Bob Stokoe), and was very keen that Green should sign for Newcastle. He had one blinding season with us, but then just at the point when his career was blossoming, he was struck down by injury for the final time. It's no surprise that fans of other clubs don't remember him, because his period in the limelight was such a short one.

The particular game that stands out for me was at Old Trafford in 1972, when we won 2-0. Man U still had a strong team in those days, and we were right up against it, but they couldn't handle Tony Green. He basically won us the game single handed.

he was a player, when he played for Blackpool, that everybody was looking at. But he had an achilles tendon injury that kept him out for 18 months, which could have finished his career. At the end of the 1970-71 season, he had came back and was official man of the match in the England v Scotland game at wembley, which England won 3-1.

From that point on, he was more in the limelight again and drawing attention and appearing to have put his injury firmly behind him. In a way, Joe Harvey got in first, probably taking a risk on his fitness, and Tony showed that he had fully recovered, until he got his knee injury at Crystal Palace, the same sort of injury that finished Brian Clough. You are right about Bob Stokoe, he wanted him to go to Newcastle and Keith Dyson went the other way as part of the transfer.

Mark Gillard. Inspirational in the Glipton Giants (Jossy`s giants). Could do with his talents here to see us through this relegation battle. Come to think of it could Mike give Jossy Blair a bell and get him to take over from JFK? O0

Beardsley, the man was a vastly underated (by the rest of the country) genius.

Then Shearer, Gazza (if only he hadn't left the toon so early).

Non Toon? Not really any favs, I have to say Maradona though is probably the best footballer i've ever seen (in my lifetime (mid-thirties)).

Guest ToonArmyUSA

Shearer (he's the reason i became a fan of the team & why i still follow the sport)

Bergkamp

Les Ferdinand

Pele (my 1st glimpse of the sport albeit briefly & at the tail end of his career w/the Cosmos)