Juan Román Riquelme

BeloEmre

Guest float one in

Probably my favourite current player. Its a real treat to watch him when he's playing well in a team thats giving him the ball all the time... I really hope he's playing well when the next World Cup comes around.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4998627,00.html

Riquelme content at Boca

Argentine happy to stay in homeland

By Francisco Acedo  Last updated: 3rd March 2009

Football Betting - Wednesday's Top Scoring Match

Juan Roman Riquelme insists his heart belongs to Boca Juniors amid reports linking the Argentine with a move to Newcastle United.

The talented playmaker returned to his homeland initially in a loan switch from Villarreal in 2007, but has since made his Boca stay a permanent arrangement.

Riquelme made his name as a classy schemer in Spain while plying his trade at first Barcelona and then more successfully with Villarreal.

He has played some excellent football in South America and appears to be content to see out the remainder of his playing days in Argentina.

Newcastle are thought to be already planning potential targets for next season but if, as speculated, Riquelme is on their list he could take some persuading.

"I am happy at my home and I want to play for many years at Boca," Riquelme told Radio Del Plata.

"In Europe I had a year at Barcelona that wasn't so good and after that I had four-and-a-half years at Villarreal as good as at Boca.

"My dream is to win the title at Boca and gain a place in Argentina's squad, alongside Maradona, for the World Cup in 2010.

"In my life the question of money is never a priority."

"My dream is to win the title at Boca and gain a place in Argentina's squad, alongside Maradona, for the World Cup in 2010.

so diego's going to re-call himself to la selección to show them how to do it properly? lol

Nah Aguero is taking on Maradona's name instead of her taking his.

How does someone like Riquelme get linked with us? :lol:

Got a mate who did some work experience at Sport Press Agency and coming up with some rumours involved players in one hat, teams in the other.

Guest kingdawson

so diego's going to re-call himself to la selección to show them how to do it properly? lol

Nah Aguero is taking on Maradona's name instead of her taking his.

Surely thats bollocks?

How does someone like Riquelme get linked with us? :lol:

Because he's 30 and not the player he used to be, he's hardly too big for us like :lol:

When you look into the circumstances around Riquelme, that's why I questioned it.

Guest The Libertine

The Daily Mirror will have read the original rubbish article then just elaborated, no real developments.  :lol:

"I have had offers to go to England which were very attractive but I am happy at Boca," said Riquelme.

"Staying will give me the best chance of playing for Argentina in the 2010 World Cup."

The Daily Mirror will have read the original rubbish article then just elaborated, no real developments.  :lol:

"I have had offers to go to England which were very attractive but I am happy at Boca," said Riquelme.

"Staying will give me the best chance of playing for Argentina in the 2010 World Cup."

When's the quote from?  Which clubs is he referring to?  Rubbish article.

Guest The Libertine

When's the quote from?  Which clubs is he referring to?  Rubbish article.

it contains a quote from the player about the specified subject so its more credible than most other articles with no quotes.

Would only work in the Premier League in a 5 man midfield. Class footballer mind.

Only works in any league in a 5 man midfield.

Villarreal play with 2 strikers don't they?

Would only work in the Premier League in a 5 man midfield. Class footballer mind.

They do now, not so sure if they did when he played.

Guest Stephen927

Used to play 4-5-1 when Riquelme was there, 2 holding midfielders behind him I think.

Yeah, they did generally when Riquelme was there.

He could work in a 4 man midfield I reckon, just not a flat one. He'd work fine sat behind the two strikers creating chances and laying off passes to the two upfront.

Ah right, got that one wrong. Seemed to think they employed an attacking 4-3-1-2 system with Senna holding. I blame Sky Sports Spanish Football for being inaccurate  :shifty:

I still think he could work in a 4 man midfield, possibly a narrow one. His game is based on his intelligence, not particularly strong physical attributes, so the athleticism and stamina of the midfield around him would be a key factor in his potential success in that system.