Post 2004 Shearer, or present day Owen...

Yorkie

I won't knock Owen's contribution to the team a great deal, when he's in it...

But 60 appearances in four years isn't good enough, especially when you're on £100,000-a-week, and i'm not surprised he's been getting stick. I know he can't help getting injured but a bit of bad taste is bound to happen like - especially when we've commited ourselves to him and he's not offering it in return. I don't blame anyone for feeling nowt for Michael Owen. He's never truly been a part of this club.

I find it a tough call, because for different reasons, I'd hesitate to call either of them an asset at those points in time.

Each of them had something to offer, but should have been squad players, not automatic first-team choices. The way in which their reputations and status interfered with team selection and team building was / is the real problem. Particularly in Shearer's case.

Not many people are willing to see that point of view but IMO it's the right one. Not that it was Shearer's fault, he was always a great pro, it needed someone like Alex Ferguson in charge to keep his influence in check. Owen on the other hand, even now it seems like he's keen to get back to full fitness to try and use his last few games to win a deal somewhere else.

I know what you guys mean, and I agree. Ever since Owen signed for us there's been speculation about him just using us to enhance his chances for an England call up (which in reality he has been). And although he's denied it every time he's been asked about it, I've never been fully convinced that he's 100% focused on Newcastle United and commited to the black & white cause. I think the main reason he's here is his ridiculously unjustified pay-packet (imo if he hadnt done his knee in and missed pretty much the whole of the 06/07 season he'd be justifying it).

I think if Capello was in charge of England at Germany 06 Owen woudnt have been picked.

Its a ridiculous comparision to start with, given what Shearer had brought to the team and the club pre 2004, however, people seem to easily forget what Shearer brought to the team apart from goals, held the ball up, fantastic defender for set pieces and general leader for people to look up to.  I'd have a half fit, ageing Alan Shearer over most of the crap we have seen up front over the last 4 or so years.

Guest Sniffer

Owen will leave just like Given eventually threw in the towel. I certainly don't blame him as clearly the mangement believe ameobi is the way forward after giving him a three year contract. Nobody in their right mind would want to partner him up front.

Owen will score goals in better teams than us on a consistent basis and we'll be left with martins and ameobi. Had it and fucking want it.

Owen will leave just like Given eventually threw in the towel. I certainly don't blame him as clearly the mangement believe ameobi is the way forward after giving him a three year contract. Nobody in their right mind would want to partner him up front.

Owen will score goals in better teams than us on a consistent basis and we'll be left with martins and ameobi. Had it and f***ing want it.

How the f*** do you compare Given to Owen. What are you on. Given was a warrior for this club for 12 years. Owen was a part-timer for four. Please don't insult our collective intelligence with such ridiculously slanted rubbish.

Owen will score goals in better teams than us on a consistent basis and we'll be left with martins and ameobi. Had it and f***ing want it.

nobody in their right mind would want to partner Owen up front either tbh

• 3 weeks later...

But Fat Freddy signed Owen to appease the masses cause he is a god & cant do anything wrong

/NE5

the masses are rapidly rallying around offering support to Ashley's running of the club in massive numbers now. Xisco ? Lovenkrands ?  A new contract for Ameobi ? Ryan Taylor ? Blows the mind away.

But Fat Freddy signed Owen to appease the masses cause he is a god & cant do anything wrong

/NE5

the masses are rapidly rallying around offering support to Ashley's running of the club in massive numbers now. Xisco ? Lovenkrands ?  A new contract for Ameobi ? Ryan Taylor ? Blows the mind away.

Lovenkrands already has two goals and seems decent, he was never bought to be first choice though.  Xisco is a Spain U21 international and hasn't really been given a chance this season.  Ryan Taylor, too soon to comment.

Ameobi?  Can't argue there, rubbish.  ;D

/NE5

Lovenkrands already has two goals and seems decent, he was never bought to be first choice though.  Xisco is a Spain U21 international and hasn't really been given a chance this season.  Ryan Taylor, too soon to comment.

they are all second rate at best I'm afraid. None is a patch on Michael Owen. Keep thinking such 2nd rate players are good signings, bringing about the decrease in gates as a sign that the new regime knows what it is doing if you wish.

One day we might have someone running the club who knows how to get the ground full again. Soon, hopefully.

/NE5

they are all second rate at best I'm afraid. None is a patch on Michael Owen. Keep thinking such 2nd rate players are good signings, bringing about the decrease in gates as a sign that the new regime knows what it is doing if you wish.

One day we might have someone running the club who knows how to get the ground full again. Soon, hopefully.

did you see Xisco for Deportivo at all?

/NE5

did you see Xisco for Deportivo at all?

why do you and people like you scorn the ex regime for signing top players. The approach which gave us champions League football and european qualifications ? Instead you defend this current shanbolic, 2nd rate approach from the current lot. You do think we are a big club I take it ?

I don't really want to keep reminding you of this, the message ought to have sank in by now.

I only got into this thread because I saw a daft comment about me and an equally daft insinuation about Micheal Owen BTW, by a poster who had been pretty anonymous in the past.

Guest Ebolarama

Did you quote the wrong post there?

no.

I'm addressing the bigger picture that some people are still too blind to see

Sublime trolling, old bean. Top stuff! Made this thread a cracking good larf, what what?