Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

What everyone seems to be forgetting is the woeful team selection. Before the kick off you could see that Martins, Jonas, and Viduka were the 3 subs going to be used, obviously due to Nolans stupidity Viduka was traded for smith as he has a higher work rate, but less quality. Why wasnt any of the three in the starting 11?

The team sent out yesterday was woeful, someone needs to tell hughton that the bench is for the squad players, nurse one or two inuries through fair enough, but deciding to use all 3 as subs before kick off was fucking ridiculous. We offered no attacking threat to Everton, Moyes must have laughing his bollocks off. If arteta had stayed on we would have been dead and buried.

For me:

harper 6 (Please learn to kick a ball)

Enrique 7 (most improved player)

Bassong 8 (our best player)

Collo 7 (cant decide if hes poor positionally or its enrique`s fault)

Taylor 7 (great going forward, poor defender)

Duff 4 (had his 1 good game in 20 last week, see you next season damien)

Butt 6 (for effort only, legs have gone)

Nolan 5 (Jurys out, still done nothing to suggest his anything but squad material, cost us 2 points)

R Taylor 6 (Set piece delivery worth his name on the team sheet, rest of play poor)

Shola 1 (For his one pass of the game, absolute dross, managed to make duff decent)

Lovenkrands 5 (Fitness levels not there yet, busy first 30 then faded)

If we dont bring in a tactically aware manager soon were going to be in the mire, we cant afford to drop points, Everton were there for the taking. They didnt bring their top 6 team, they brough their squad team, if cahill, arterta, felliani et al were all fit we`d have been destroyed.

Guest nufc1892

everybody is criticizing Harper but no nobody is saying anything about his brilliant save and his brilliant reflex  when he blocked the shot from the corner with one hand.

i suppose most of the people here like to see the negative things on some players rather then the positives

I do think that Harper's performance yesterday deserves some criticism. He made a terrific reaction save early on and a late save, but other than that had very little to do. Everton had few really good opportunities.

And his distribution was awful. So dreadful it stood out. There was a stretch there where he repeatedly booted the ball out of play and Everton throw ins.

Yeah, nobody's mentioning the saves.

I agree with one of the posters above criticising the line up. It was a cowardly starting XI that was set up not to get beat rather than win the game.

In home games, you have to start with Guttierez.

If Hughton had any nous he should have had Shola and Lovenkrands and S Taylor off after an hour and replaced them with Oba, with him and Jonas as the wide players and Viduka up front. Martins was useless at trying to hold the ball up against a strong Everton defence and although its not ideal playing him out wide, his pace would have been more useful there in such circumstances. Duff could have moved inside and tried to support Viduka.

Hughton comes across as meek as a kitten and his tactics reflected that yesterday.

Guest optimistic nit

What everyone seems to be forgetting is the woeful team selection. Before the kick off you could see that Martins, Jonas, and Viduka were the 3 subs going to be used, obviously due to Nolans stupidity Viduka was traded for smith as he has a higher work rate, but less quality. Why wasnt any of the three in the starting 11?

The team sent out yesterday was woeful, someone needs to tell hughton that the bench is for the squad players, nurse one or two inuries through fair enough, but deciding to use all 3 as subs before kick off was fucking ridiculous. We offered no attacking threat to Everton, Moyes must have laughing his bollocks off. If arteta had stayed on we would have been dead and buried.

For me:

harper 6 (Please learn to kick a ball)

Enrique 7 (most improved player)

Bassong 8 (our best player)

Collo 7 (cant decide if hes poor positionally or its enrique`s fault)

Taylor 7 (great going forward, poor defender)

Duff 4 (had his 1 good game in 20 last week, see you next season damien)

Butt 6 (for effort only, legs have gone)

Nolan 5 (Jurys out, still done nothing to suggest his anything but squad material, cost us 2 points)

R Taylor 6 (Set piece delivery worth his name on the team sheet, rest of play poor)

Shola 1 (For his one pass of the game, absolute dross, managed to make duff decent)

Lovenkrands 5 (Fitness levels not there yet, busy first 30 then faded)

If we dont bring in a tactically aware manager soon were going to be in the mire, we cant afford to drop points, Everton were there for the taking. They didnt bring their top 6 team, they brough their squad team, if cahill, arterta, felliani et al were all fit we`d have been destroyed.

martins and viduka were both coming back from injury. imo he didn't want to change a winning team ( a mistake as we were very lucky vs west brom) but he made the right subs at the right times and given that kinnear never did he deserves a lot of credit for that. more of the same please :thup:

So after our entire injured strikeforce starts to get back, our entire first-choice midfield then gets injured, including our best player for the season.

Sometimes you have to think what the point is. It f**ks up a chance of getting 5th but I doubt we'll go any lower than 6th. It shouldn't effect us THAT much if we keep our heads but it's yet another big blow.

Guest toonlass

Harper 6 - Needs to work on his kicking, too many balls went out, to the opposition, to no fucker at all, but did alright with the rest of his game

Saylor 6 - Can't wait for Beye to be back, Saylor had elements of his game that were brilliant, and then some that were terrible

Colo 6.5 - an alright performance from Colo, sensible game from him

Bassong 8 - Superb once again, made very few mistakes

Enrique 7 - best I have seen from him, sensible with the ball, crossed well, more like this please

Duff 5 - ran about but little else

Nolan 5 - tackle didn't look that bad at the time, but on the replay he was lucky not to have broken Anichebe's leg, not much worth talking about other than that

Butt 6 - worked hard

Raylor 6.5 - worked hard, decent performance, can take a set piece

Shola 4 - Why oh why oh why does he get a game. My wardrobe can jump higher than him for a ball. Terrible

Lovenkrands 6 - Eager, missed a sitter which he should have scored, lacks match practice, promising for the future

SUBS

Jonas 6.5 - Should have been on from the start, gave us an extra option in midfield, needs to be playing

Martins 6 - Never really had the ball in the final third, ran about and got back well

Smith 5 - SMITH FFS, SMITH!?!?!?!

So after our entire injured strikeforce starts to get back, our entire first-choice midfield then gets injured, including our best player for the season.

Sometimes you have to think what the point is. It f**ks up a chance of getting 5th but I doubt we'll go any lower than 6th. It shouldn't effect us THAT much if we keep our heads but it's yet another big blow.

6th is probably safe but it's the FA Cup out of the window with no Arteta

Overall -  :rolleyes:

Harper - 6.5 - Vital save but with some poor kicks

S Taylor- 7- Even though he is a bit of a headless chicken sometimes, I thought that was one of his best games for us for a while (though that wouldn't be hard). Good to see him trying to get forward, and he can't do quite as much damage as he normally does in the centre.

Bassong - 7.5 - Showed some good strength and composure at times. Best player we have at the moment.

Colo - 6 - Thought he was pretty poor, really pisses me off when he lumps the ball forward to no-one. Also never looks far from making a blunder.

Enrique - 8 - Thought he was probably our best player for this game and have been impressed with him this season. Shame he had Duff in front of him first half and wasn't able to get further forward.

R Taylor - 6.5 - Some decent set pieces and crosses which were always going to go to waste with Shola up front, disappeared 2nd half.

Butt - 5.5 - Thought he had a tough job with being the only central mid after Nolan was gone, but he still does 5 bad things for every 1 good thing.

Nolan- 5 - Stupid challenge, really cost us any chance of getting a win.

Duff - 5 - Should never have started ahead of Jonas, waste of a space.

Lovenkrands - 4 - Can't have touched the ball more than twice the whole game, but boy could he have made a difference with that chance :)

Shola - 4 - Sums up everything that is shite about Newcastle, absolute waste of space, offers nothing.  :rant:

Jonas - 6 - Though he offers an extra dimension, for someone of his supposed quality, his final ball is awful.

Martins - 5 - Never really had a chance, chasing shadows up front.

Smith- 4 - Not involved.

Hughton - 4.5 - Starting lineup was poor and Nolan certainly didn't make his job easy. Also marked down for bringing Smith on.

Guest firetotheworks

From the daily mail:

NEWCASTLE (4-4-2): Harper 7; S Taylor 7, Coloccini 6, Bassong 7, Enrique 7; R Taylor 7, Nolan 6, Butt 6, Duff 5 (Gutierrez 45min, 6); Ameobi 5 (Martins 59, 5), Lovenkrands 5 (Smith 77). Sent off: Nolan.

EVERTON (4-4-2): Howard 6; Jagielka 7, Yobo 7, Lescott 7, Baines 7; Neville 7, Arteta 6 (Castillo 7 7), Rodwell 8, Gosling 7 (Saha 74, 7); Anichebe 6 (Fellaini 45, 6), Jo 5.

Must say i agree very much with this... Nolan was playing ok till he got the red card.

Those ratings are quite compressed. Forgiving to the shit (Ameobi) and a bit harsh on the brilliant (Bassong and Enrique) who outshone the other 7's (the Taylors)

martins and viduka were both coming back from injury. imo he didn't want to change a winning team ( a mistake as we were very lucky vs west brom) but he made the right subs at the right times and given that kinnear never did he deserves a lot of credit for that. more of the same please :thup:

I'm with you - Viduka and Martins were rightly placed on the bench as this match came too soon for both. Yes, Dukes played ten minutes last time around, but even I'll admit his fitness levels are way below what is required to start a Premier League match. And Martins must be our most important player in our fight to avoid the drop and simply must be nursed back into the starting line-up...

The only contentious decision for me was Jonas - but Duff and Raylor worked well against WBA, and was a conservative choice rather than a cowardly one. As dover said though, Duff plays perhaps two decent games a season, so next time around we are much more likely to see Jonas restored to the starting line-up

Guest firetotheworks

Jonas not playing instead of Duff is still weird with me, unless they're still nursing Jonas a bit. One's been one of our only shining lights of the season, and is a starter alongside Messi, Mascherano, Tevez etc, and the other is an over the hill player who has one half decent game in 10 and isnt half the player Jonas is.

Jonas not playing instead of Duff is still weird with me, unless they're still nursing Jonas a bit. One's been one of our only shining lights of the season, and is a starter alongside Messi, Mascherano, Tevez etc, and the other is an over the hill player who has one half decent game in 10 and isnt half the player Jonas is.

Problem for me is that Jonas is not a winger. His best work so far has come down the middle. We need him to play the same way Dyer did. It's the only way a ball carrier can be effective. He has the mobility, tenacity and passing of an attacking central midfielder. His poor crossing makes him wasted out in the channels. Can't say much about his finishing, but I'm sure he can tuck one away arriving late into the box.

Wish we would at least try it!! Raylor and Duff can play out on the wings for now with Guthrie, Barton and Nolan all out.

Problem for me is that Jonas is not a winger. His best work so far has come down the middle. We need him to play the same way Dyer did. It's the only way a ball carrier can be effective. He has the mobility, tenacity and passing of an attacking central midfielder. His poor crossing makes him wasted out in the channels. Can't say much about his finishing, but I'm sure he can tuck one away arriving late into the box.

Wish we would at least try it!! Raylor and Duff can play out on the wings for now with Guthrie, Barton and Nolan all out.

He's played about half a game down the middle from what i can recall, and was absolutely invisible. He's blatantly a winger, just an unorthodox one.

He's played about half a game down the middle from what i can recall, and was absolutely invisible. He's blatantly a winger, just an unorthodox one.

I know that. I just mean that he's done some good work (productivity wise) drifting inside. I'd be tempted to give him a free role in a more advanced position so he can roam around. He should have been the one to send Martins away through on goal last night, and not the other way around.

This kind of thing makes me laugh..the atmosphere was shite..

Ryan Taylor hails mighty Newcastle United fans

Feb 23 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/23/ryan-taylor-hails-mighty-newcastle-united-fans-72703-22989076/

It was good where I was (top corner, where the away fans used to sit). Everton fans were surprisingly quiet given decent numbers, they sat for 90% of the match and the first time they made themselves heard was when the red card was shown.

Was noticable how bad Harpers distrib. was because Givens had improved a lot over the last season or two. Remember when given used to kick it like he had a sandwedge for a foot- could barely clear the halfway line.

Guest firetotheworks

Good thing about Harper is that you know that that's exactly what he'll be concentrating on all this week. You could see he was pissed off with himself whenever he played a bad ball. I thought we should have played it into defence more, pointless hoofing it up to Oba, even if he won a header he'd be heading it into a midfield thats a player down.

Guest Howaythetoon

Random Harper tit bit. At a talk in last year he was asked what had changed in his game since KK came back and he said he played out of goal in 5-a-sides much more, practised throwing to the full-backs more and worked on his first touch more. Said KK was all about building from the back and that Harper was instructed to stop kicking it long all the time, to throw it out more or roll it to one of the defenders. KK would get pissed with him or Shay if they didn't follow those instructions. It has always bugged me why 'keepers just kick it forward when 9 times out of 10 you will give it to the opposition. I would fine my 'keepers if they kicked it long unless they had no choice but to put a boot through it.