U23s & Academy

Skirge

Whatever happened to Optymystyc Knight or whatever he called himself?

Still here, changed my account because i could never remember how to spell the damn thing and could never log into my account  :lol:

Winners for Longstaff and Armstrong today for Killy and Barnsley

From .com:

Newcastle U18s will face Spurs in the Quarter Finals of this season's FA Youth Cup competition at St. James' Park on Monday February 27th - and entry is free.

Kick-off is at 7pm and a result must be achieved on the night, via extra time and penalties if required. 

Vuckic scored the winner tonight - 24 now. Seems to have been here forever.

Was massively highly rated as well. His next (permanent) club will be crucial.

Back to Rangers?

Possibly, they do seem to have an ex Newcastle young contingent, not including the 5 that went on loan the other season. Trying to persuade a mate to go to that FA Youth Cup game and was saying how i've been to a few in the past. Interesting to see where players end up at.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/newcastle-united-u-18s-0-aston-4460514

I went to this one in 2010, a 5,000 crowd and the line up was:

Alnwick, Tavernier, Dummett, McDermott, Henderson (Nzuzi 46), Folan (McCorrigan 90), Ameobi, Inman, Airey, Newton, Adjei.

Alnwick and Tav both at Rangers. Inman and Peterborough, Newton at Cambridge United and obviously Sammy and Dummett still here. Certainly didn't think Dummett would be one of those starting for us 7 years down the line, he looked pretty limited then and struggled with controlling the ball, was thinking Tavernier, Sammy and McDermott may be most likely. Airey was also highly rated but he didn't amount to anything - think he was at Blyth then nothing since, maybe playing in the Northern League or something?

Going further back i can remember going to the 2006 QF games against Brighton where we won on pens

Krul, Cowan, Deverdics (Morris 82mins), Marr,  Huntington, Cavener, LuaLua (Little 87mins), Doninger (Godsmark 100mins),  Carroll, Troisi, Critchlow.

Subs n/u: Reay, Forster.

Krul, Forster and Carroll all went on to have very good careers. Huntington, Lua-Lua, Deverrdics all still playing league football. Troisi ended up at Atalanta and incredibly Juventus and is now playing for Melbourne V in the A League. Don't think any of the others made it

Troisi has had some career. Played in Turkey, Serie A, China, Australia, Belgium and Saudi-Arabia as well as earning 28 caps for Australia.

Also, Mark Doninger is playing in the Norwegian 3rd division (I think) for FC Valdres. Safe to say he didn't make it.

Went through to watch the Under 23s against North Shields last night.

Our under 23s are absolutely hopeless - Barlaser possibly the exception. There's no one else that stood out and made me think they had a chance of making it at the top level.

Went through to watch the Under 23s against North Shields last night.

Our under 23s are absolutely hopeless - Barlaser possibly the exception. There's no one else that stood out and made me think they had a chance of making it at the top level.

I'd imagine the best players we've got at that level are the players who are currently out on loan.

I see the U18s lost 4-0 at Man Utd the other day with pretty much the same team used in the FA Youth Cup run. Obviously a decent crowd backing them at SJP may help to some extent vs Spurs in the quarter final but the result doesn't bode well.