Bassong admits Arsenal interest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Not advocating that we should be a feeder club at all.  Simply saying that we need to build ourselves back up to previous heights.  At the moment we aren't as attractive a propisition as Arsenal (neither have we been for a few years)  As such we have to be realistic and accept that the odd player will move on in the short term.  As such our best bet of becoming more than also rans is to continue our current policy.  It seems anomalous but it is good that champions league clubs are sniffing around Bassong.  It means we're doing something right.  Eventually we'll hopefully have 6 or 7 Bassongs and a team good enough to make progress and for players to want to stay at.  I can't see Arsenal et al sniffing around Damien Duff or Nicky Butt.....

NE5 is right about this club though, I know players will want to join bigger clubs but while we have players under contract we should tell them in no uncertain terms that they're staying. We'll never build a top side again if we let the likes of Bassong leave so quickly.

The club may be telling him exactly that

Looking at oldtype's signature gave me a thought.

Mike Ashley's Underpants Knomes from South Park-esque business plan.

Step 1 : Make Profit on Transfers

Step 2 : ?

Step 3 : VICTORY!

NE5 is right about this club though, I know players will want to join bigger clubs but while we have players under contract we should tell them in no uncertain terms that they're staying. We'll never build a top side again if we let the likes of Bassong leave so quickly.

The club may be telling him exactly that

I know, I hope they are.

out of interest how much could we expect Ashley to line his pockets up if he went, btw it wouldn't cost Arsenal much to buy out his contract anyway

Ashley wouldn't be lining his pockets at all, just as he hasn't taken a penny out of this club yet - quite the opposite.

This bollocks about 'asset stripping' etc is getting a bit tiring TBH...

out of interest how much could we expect Ashley to line his pockets up if he went, btw it wouldn't cost Arsenal much to buy out his contract anyway

that doesnt apply to Bassong, you need to have played 3 years since the contract was signed.

Ashley to line his pockets up if he went,

Do people still genuinely think that?  It's laughable

Really ? how else can he get a refund if he can't sell the club, at least slowly but surely he'll pick up and be able to sell the club at a reduced cost if he continued in that vane!.

If Arsenal come in for him and he wants to go it is hardly a 'foul up'.  It is an indictment that at the moment our players would jump at the chance of going to Arsenal.  However, in this case the club don't seem to have done much wrong.  Sign young player for next to nowt, play him and he's a hit, offer him new contract.  All sounds fine to me.  indeed it is good news that we're spotting good un's, rather than waiting for others to find them and then paying over the odds.  if he leaves he leaves, but the money should be used to buy 5 more such players - hopefully a couple of them would be top drawer too. 

I really have to say this. You are advocating the club becomes a feeder club again ? Do you think Newcastle are a big club or a small club ?

There's not much you can do if the top clubs come in really.  Were we a feeder club when we sold Woodgate to Real?

Real Madrid are one of the worlds biggest clubs if not the biggest. Its a vast difference. You tell me how many players in recent years have wanted to leave the club and how many times we have been used or seen as a stepping stone to one of the "top clubs" as he says. Warren Barton is an Arsenal supporter and he chose us before Arsenal. People such as him and Rob Lee are both cockney lads but neither saw any other club for them but here once they were here.

To suggest we should bring on kids and develop them to make a profit by selling them on for a profit is straight back to the 1970's and 1980's. What we are seeing now from this club is stepping back in time to those days with scenarios like this.

I'm not going to explain this further. If you don't understand or don't want to, fine.

LOL

Sorry sir.

:rolleyes:

If Arsenal come in for him and he wants to go it is hardly a 'foul up'.  It is an indictment that at the moment our players would jump at the chance of going to Arsenal.  However, in this case the club don't seem to have done much wrong.  Sign young player for next to nowt, play him and he's a hit, offer him new contract.  All sounds fine to me.  indeed it is good news that we're spotting good un's, rather than waiting for others to find them and then paying over the odds.  if he leaves he leaves, but the money should be used to buy 5 more such players - hopefully a couple of them would be top drawer too. 

I really have to say this. You are advocating the club becomes a feeder club again ? Do you think Newcastle are a big club or a small club ?

There's not much you can do if the top clubs come in really.  Were we a feeder club when we sold Woodgate to Real?

Real Madrid are one of the worlds biggest clubs if not the biggest. Its a vast difference. You tell me how many players in recent years have wanted to leave the club and how many times we have been used or seen as a stepping stone to one of the "top clubs" as he says. Warren Barton is an Arsenal supporter and he chose us before Arsenal. People such as him and Rob Lee are both cockney lads but neither saw any other club for them but here once they were here.

To suggest we should bring on kids and develop them to make a profit by selling them on for a profit is straight back to the 1970's and 1980's. What we are seeing now from this club is stepping back in time to those days with scenarios like this.

I'm not going to explain this further. If you don't understand or don't want to, fine.

LOL

Sorry sir.

:rolleyes:

good.

Know your place.

That was years ago when we were a force. At this point in time we are pretty much a nothing club in a relegation scrap with a questionable manager and a board that probably doesn't want to be here. So you tell me why its a surprise that players want to leave our club for the likes of Arsenal who are one of the top 10 in the world.

eerrr........

:laugh:

Given the current circumstances I'm reading nothing into this other than agent talk.

last week or the week before it's let slip we're in contract talks with Bassong over giving him a better contract, things quieten down then rumours of his contract being pulled and Carrolls being renewed, suddenly Arsenal are interested in him.

Coincidence?

not in my opinion.

Guest toonlass

Get the lad signed onto a decent contract, he deserves it. Can't see him going anywhere at the minute

If he has anything about him and has a real desire to see his career develop at NUFC, he will use these rumours as a device to get the club to look to persuade a manager who is going to push the club on and be here for the next 4,5,6 years at least.

So many players want to play for clubs like Arsenal. It's nothing new. It doesn't mean they want to leave their clubs as soon as possible, it just means that they would like to play for the likes of Arsenal one day. Just the other day Kalou said he'd like to play for them, not too long ago the likes of Kranjcar were saying the same thing.

Whilst we (for some strange reason) delay improving Bassong's contract, it's understandable that he might be considering his future elsewhere, especially given our own uncertain position. No doubt his agent is trying to put a bit of pressure on us too.

We shouldn't fuck around with this.. The wage bill is huge but we must offer him a good contract.. By far our best player this season.

It'd be nice if we can get rid of the whole overpaid honest pro wanker crew.. then we can start again with players who actually have something to play for.

Guest Darth Toon

Looks like Keegan may have paid for his own constructive dismissal claim in the end.. ;)

My thoughts exactly!  :lol:

Just need someone to shell out a couple of mill more than we paid for Xisco now and we can pay the dwarf off while we're at it....

Guest Heneage

So many players want to play for clubs like Arsenal. It's nothing new. It doesn't mean they want to leave their clubs as soon as possible, it just means that they would like to play for the likes of Arsenal one day. Just the other day Kalou said he'd like to play for them, not too long ago the likes of Kranjcar were saying the same thing.

Whilst we (for some strange reason) delay improving Bassong's contract, it's understandable that he might be considering his future elsewhere, especially given our own uncertain position. No doubt his agent is trying to put a bit of pressure on us too.

It's no surprise. Despite the reports of fights a few months back with Gallas naming "Someone 5 years younger than me." Arsenal do seem to have a brilliant team spirit, the players play some beautiful football, and the fact the majority of them are the same age all adds up to a good overall "Squad Harmony" in the words of FM.

Need to get the lad sorted with a much better deal. He's been our 'find' of the season and has put in some sterling performances at DC. I hope it's merely agent tittle-tattle, but knowing this club - we'll do our best to screw it up.