Ryan Giggs

WhatTheFunk

Was watching the lad play today. He must be the most underrated player in the history of the premiership. Has had a long and brilliant career, won everything there is to win, and played some wonderful stuff too. Good old fashioned professional, and a credit to him for leading by example.

Quite simply fantastic at reading the game, and a highly intelligent footballer. No wonder Fergsuon has held on to him for so long.

Guest timmy boy

Who under rates Giggs? He's rated by every one, the most decorated player in the English game isn't he? Been a class act for nearly 20 years and has received a lot of plaudits for it.

Guest timmy boy

Premier League

Winner (10): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008

UEFA Champions League

Winner (2): 1999, 2008

FA Cup

Winner (4): 1994, 1996, 1999, 2004

FA Youth Cup

Winner (1): 1992

Football League Cup

Winner (2): 1992, 2006

FA Community Shield

Winner (6): 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2007

UEFA Super Cup

Winner (1): 1991

Intercontinental Cup

Winner (1): 1999

I don't think we will come any where near that trophy haul in my life time. Been my favourite non toon player since I have been about 8. Used to love him when he was young and he had pace and was full of tricks and running, he was a joy to watch. Now he has lost his legs he has changed his game and is still class. Giggs is one of if not the only thing I like about Man United.

Who under-rates him? He is still class.

He used to be the darling of the media when he was younger, and always had their attention. Lately he's not talked about as much, yet it is NOW that the media should recognize his achievements and his dazzling career. I just don't feel he's mentioned in the same breath as the superstars Cantona, Shearer, Zola, Bergkamp, Keane etc..

Who under-rates him? He is still class.

He used to be the darling of the media when he was younger, and always had their attention. Lately he's not talked about as much, yet it is NOW that the media should recognize his achievements and his dazzling career. I just don't feel he's mentioned in the same breath as the superstars Cantona, Shearer, Zola, Bergkamp, Keane etc..

Think he will be once he retires.

Terrific player, hard to believe sometimes there is so much running left in those old legs of his.

My favorite non NUFC player in the Prem ever. Even got his Man U shirt with his name on it.

I remember a while back someone on here said he was overrated and never reached his potential and everyone agreed.

Find that please. :lol:

I took my Man Utd-supporting mate to his testimonial for his birthday or something. Ledge tbh.

Was watching the lad play today. He must be the most underrated player in the history of the premiership. Has had a long and brilliant career, won everything there is to win, and played some wonderful stuff too. Good old fashioned professional, and a credit to him for leading by example.

Quite simply fantastic at reading the game, and a highly intelligent footballer. No wonder Fergsuon has held on to him for so long.

scholes as well

Guest Slippery Sam

I made the point about him being probably the best ever Prem player to my mates a couple of weeks ago. Yes there have been more skillful players, but Giggs' longevity at the top level has been fantastic.

However, what must not be forgotten is his many absences from the Wales' teams over the years due to being 'injured'. If an Englishman had done such things he would have been destroyed by the media and fans, yet because Giggs is Welsh this has largely been overlooked.

Of course, the Prem and internationals are two different circumstances (when considering the 'greatest Premiership player'), but the many absences from the latter do point to some problem in his overall application imo.

I actually agree with Tooj in a way, fantastically talented player, great dribbling, vision, shot and cross. And the definition of a 'big game player'. But that's part of the problem, he seemed to save the best for the big occasions, european nights or cup meetings, and you cant say he ever really imposed himself on a league season over 30+ games in the way Henry, Ronaldo or Shearer did. Injuries played a part too as did the way he plays which you can't really sustain over a long period of time.

I sometimes think Man Utd lack a dribbler to open up space against the top continental teams but he always pops up to remind you he is there. they'll need to replace him though, ronaldo and nani are different players.

At first I thought, nah, PFA award of the year isn't appropriate, maybe some sort of separate award for his outstanding contribution to English football for so long.

And then I thought, who else this year has shone enough to be a clear favourite for PFA Player of the Year? Certainly in with a shout, rightly so.

Not underrated though. Anything but.

who remembers that really bad period he had where he went to ratshit?  if my failing memory serves i think it wasn't long after they won the first fergie league and he got his first bad injury which took him a LONG time to recover from

he lost a lot of form and confidence for a long time iirc

anyone?

oh, he's a great by the way, just wondering if i imagined this

He is not under rated in my eyes. World Class player and has been since I can remember. Fergie gets rid if he sees they are slacking or getting slightly worse, the fact he is still there tells it's own tale.

Shame he was always 'injured' when it came to Internationals really.