Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

Sounds daft but I wonder if he got into coaching or something he'd lay off the sauce

He's had enough chances and just can't. So sad.

Jesus, looks like he's in the mend then shite like this. Will be dead soon.

Sadly. Keep expecting the thread title to end in RIP.

Guest neesy111

Sounds daft but I wonder if he got into coaching or something he'd lay off the sauce

He got a managers job and was found to be drunk on the job.

As sad as it is, he'll be lucky if he sees 50. :(

Does falling off once in 6 months work out as bad as being a constant alcoholic though?

He is an alcoholic, regardless of how often he relapses. It's all of the other mental health issues that he has, which complicates things. It will always be this way for him sadly - there is no permanent fix.

Does falling off once in 6 months work out as bad as being a constant alcoholic though?

He's drinking every day, man. Look at the state of him.

He'll do a 7-10 day detox, again, then back on the gin.

I don't know why he persists with the lies that he's been dry for a year, as he recently claimed.

I'm curious as to where the money's coming from.

On a side note, it's humanly impossible to actually read that website without intense pop ups and the page jumping around.

noscript, ghostery and uBlock origin make it palatable. but it's a damn shame they ever needed to be written in the first place.

I don't know why he persists with the lies that he's been dry for a year, as he recently claimed.

You reckon so? How do you know this? I thought that aswel like duno how he can afford this lifestyle

You reckon so? How do you know this? I thought that aswel like duno how he can afford this lifestyle

Well, I think we're agreed that he's not been dry for a year.

Let's also agree that there are stories about him having done something stupid (the texts to the ex - he could NOT have been sober) that makes the papers every other month, so there's got to be countless other things (i.e. what goes on behind closed doors where he just goes on a bender and gets cabbies to bring him his gin and ciggies) that we don't hear about - him just watching MoTD with a bottle of Gordon's in hand, etc; four-day jobs where he doesn't leave the house.

But really, a picture says a thousand words. If he'd been on the wagon for six months and fallen off just the once then he wouldn't look like he'd been in a prolonged and losing fight with the pavement, nor his pallor, nor the lesions and spotting, nor his stoop, etc. He's killing himself.

Those pictures have 'full-blown alcoholic' writ large all over them.

Like I say, I'm curious as to where the cash is coming from. Mind, I suppose it's not that expensive a lifestyle if all he needs is gin and fags and the odd tin of soup. Maybe the rent on his flat is paid by his management company for when they wheel him out to make a c unt of himself at his silly 'talk-ins' which, I understand, are touch-and-go as to whether he's hammered during these (from both the papers and a couple of people I know who've gone to see him). Plus everyone still buys him drinks...

A few years back I walked past The Forth on Pink Lane and he was stood inside at the window with a couple of cronies, drinking pints. A new biography had just been published (ghostwritten by his then agent) where he claimed he was sober and had been for many months, so I've seen the contrary with my own eyes.

It's desperately sad, but he's committing the cardinal sin of addicts with these preposterous tales of having been dry a year - he's refusing to admit he has a problem. Actually, I think he no longer cares.

Guest Phillipealbert

Have to say, I'm with you on this one.  If he was mostly sober, he wouldn't look like he does now - he looks like shit, which is tragic considering he only stopped playing just over a decade ago.

He is an alcoholic, regardless of how often he relapses. It's all of the other mental health issues that he has, which complicates things. It will always be this way for him sadly - there is no permanent fix.

He is clearly someone with mental health problems. They usually go deep and can go way way back.

He was sitting across the aisle from me on a train to KIngs cross about a month ago.

Was on the phone to his agent constantly about talk ins etc and the jist was that he was getting between £30 and £50 for signed photos and signed football shirts on top of the appearance money.

He was sitting across the aisle from me on a train to KIngs cross about a month ago.

Was on the phone to his agent constantly about talk ins etc and the jist was that he was getting between £30 and £50 for signed photos and signed football shirts on top of the appearance money.

I guess that would fund his lifestyle. He doesn't seem to spend much on clothes,  doesn't (to my knowledge) own a car, doesn't take flash holidays, etc.

How long the 'talk ins' are going to last is worth considering. That well is getting pretty dry in my opinion. Poor bastard's liver must look like one of them cards they use to test for colour blindness.

I guess that would fund his lifestyle. He doesn't seem to spend much on clothes,  doesn't (to my knowledge) own a car, doesn't take flash holidays, etc.

How long the 'talk ins' are going to last is worth considering. That well is getting pretty dry in my opinion. Poor bastard's liver must look like one of them cards they use to test for colour blindness.

His clothes were ( and always have been as far as I can recall) expensive designer gear to be honest.

How long the 'talk ins' are going to last is worth considering. That well is getting pretty dry in my opinion. Poor b******'s liver must look like one of them cards they use to test for colour blindness.

His clothes were ( and always have been as far as I can recall) expensive designer gear to be honest.

Long, long gone are the £1,200 silk Versace shirts he used to buy by the rail in their shop Merchant City when he played for Rangers.

The stuff he's been in for years now - ordinary shirts, flannels, soft blazers - look like the sort of gear you get from White Stuff. Their shirts are about £40 and blazers £120.

I suspect the underlying problem is that he's not been able to find anything in his life to fill the gap of being a footballer. Temperamentally, he's not suited to coaching or managing, and it's hard to imagine what skills he offers to other avenues of work. It's a bit like Best.

I don't doubt that he's tried to give up alcohol, but it seems that he then has to cope with boredom and depression. And so the cycle goes on.

I suspect the underlying problem is that he's not been able to find anything in his life to fill the gap of being a footballer. Temperamentally, he's not suited to coaching or managing, and it's hard to imagine what skills he offers to other avenues of work. It's a bit like Best.

I don't doubt that he's tried to give up alcohol, but it seems that he then has to cope with boredom and depression. And so the cycle goes on.

At the height of his football career he was regularly beating the shit out of his wife, man. He's just a fucking idiot.

Have to agree with Ronaldo. He was a wife-beater and full-blown alcoholic when he was playing in Scotland and then Boro, Everton, etc.

I think he would absolutely love to be a coach/manager, but he's got too many obstacles in his way. Primary among them at the moment would appear to be staying alive.

Everyone knows that his problems were around before he gave up playing. But being a footballer gave him some sort of discipline and purpose in life which just about kept him on the right side of coping. Now it's gone, and it seems he's got nothing to fall back on.

You can have sympathy for anyone who becomes an alcoholic, but they can only get some many helping hands and chances that they ruin and throw back in peoples faces. All those efforts from friends and family will end at some point, either through frustration, anger or people just running out of love and pure exhaustion trying to help.

Your own health suffers and you get dragged down with them. There's a tipping point which the person has to help themselves, unfortunately i think Gazza passed that long ago. While you wouldn't want to abandon them, you just end up watching them slowly killing themselves no matter what you try and say to help them.

I feel for his boy, his family and friends who've tried to help. Him ? it's hard to anymore.