Paul Gascoigne

Thespence

Remember when people actually thought it would be a good idea to try and get him on 'I'm a celebrity...'? :lol:

It still would.

If he didn't quit he'd win it through the sympathy votes alone. He'd become relevant for a while and wouldn't be able to drink. His celebrity status is all he's got left, it would be wise of him to cash in.

Damn shame he couldn't stay there for the rest of his days as once he's out he'd get s few more tv roles, but once that dries up the booze will flow and he'll find another bottom to fall through.

TV roles [emoji38]

Not as an actor  :lol: but shit like big brother and other celeb stuff. Usually one leads to another.

Think he's done for live roles after his last appearance for itv during a World Cup.

Gazza in I'm a Celeb would be absolutely disastrous :lol: the bloke is and always has been an alcoholic, he'd go bat shit mental in there.

A sad story but I do often fail to have sympathy in situations like this, the bloke had it all and pissed it all away.

There are people who work all of their lives in a tough 9-5 job, fall into mental health issues due to no fault of their own (bereavement etc.) and they get a miniscule of the support that he does.

"I'm not perfect and don't want to be either but I am trying my best always"

"Thanks so much for all your support. You would think they would leave me alone but it is good sometimes being famous.

"I've done really well for 11 months. I have one blip and I get hammered for it. I am back on track now."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35918259

It's actually quite insulting that he persists with the fantasy he's been dry for 11 months up until last week's 'blip'.

If he thinks anyone is buying this crap then he's more ill than I thought.

Gazza in I'm a Celeb would be absolutely disastrous :lol: the bloke is and always has been an alcoholic, he'd go bat shit mental in there.

A sad story but I do often fail to have sympathy in situations like this, the bloke had it all and pissed it all away.

There are people who work all of their lives in a tough 9-5 job, fall into mental health issues due to no fault of their own (bereavement etc.) and they get a miniscule of the support that he does.

Don't get this at all. He's battling a devastating addiction, through no fault of his own either. What difference does it make what support other people have or haven't had?

Don't get this at all. He's battling a devastating addiction, through no fault of his own either. What difference does it make what support other people have or haven't had?

Surely it has to be partly if not a fair chunk of his own fault.

Well no more than anyone else who's addicted to something. I guess in theory he has a choice of some kind, but obviously people can't just choose to not be addicted.

Agree with that like, but if he doesn't face up to his part in it he'll have a ready made excuse. If people say to him it's never his fault, while marriage breakdown, loss of job (not being a footballer anymore) and other things happen that drive you to addiction.

You simply can't say don't worry mate, you're not to blame in any way. His marriage for instance and hitting his wife, things happen that you are responsible for and must face up to, to understand your addiction and the causes of it, so you can start helping yourself along with other help to get yourself clean.

You simply can't absorb him of blame.

Well OK, I don't know enough about the causes of his addiction to comment on that, presumably they're many and complex. I was originally responding to Figures' comment about other people not being at fault for what happens to them. Either way I'll always think of people suffering addiction with compassion before anything else, no matter how many 'chances they've had'.

I'm sure a massive stumbling block is Gazza's lack of brains. Harsh,yes, but true, unfortunately.

Could be a factor but addiction to drink covers all kinds. While people talk of smoking bans, drugs and gambling. Drink is far more accessable to all ages and far more dangerous in that respect imo.

Well no more than anyone else who's addicted to something. I guess in theory he has a choice of some kind, but obviously people can't just choose to not be addicted.

Agree with that like, but if he doesn't face up to his part in it he'll have a ready made excuse. If people say to him it's never his fault, while marriage breakdown, loss of job (not being a footballer anymore) and other things happen that drive you to addiction.

You simply can't say don't worry mate, you're not to blame in any way. His marriage for instance and hitting his wife, things happen that you are responsible for and must face up to, to understand your addiction and the causes of it, so you can start helping yourself along with other help to get yourself clean.

Absolve?

Anyway, alcoholism has a > 60% relapse rate. You can bet your life that lots of those people understand addiction and causes behind it but will relapse anyway. The fact that he can't or hasn't solved it yet doesn't make him a responsibility dodging monster, it makes him actually completely normal (among alcoholics). It's a chronic problem that's not easy to solve, mostly due to factors they can't control, e.g. DNA predisposing them to addiction, troubled early and formative years leading them down a bad path.

So I'm not entirely sure of what to blame him. Not solving an extraordinarily hard problem like alcoholism? Having bad genes and a shitty childhood?

That said, it is also disheartening to see how unevenly second (and higher) chances - not just for alcoholism but for most things - get distributed in society. But I don't lay that at his feet and I won't be in the business of telling the people who help him they can't do what they want with their time/money.

Just fucking tragic all around really.

Absolve?

Anyway, alcoholism has a > 60% relapse rate. You can bet your life that lots of those people understand addiction and causes behind it but will relapse anyway. The fact that he can't or hasn't solved it yet doesn't make him a responsibility dodging monster, it makes him actually completely normal (among alcoholics). It's a chronic problem that's not easy to solve, mostly due to factors they can't control, e.g. DNA predisposing them to addiction, troubled early and formative years leading them down a bad path.

So I'm not entirely sure of what to blame him. Not solving an extraordinarily hard problem like alcoholism? Having bad genes and a shitty childhood?

That said, it is also disheartening to see how unevenly second (and higher) chances - not just for alcoholism but for most things - get distributed in society. But I don't lay that at his feet and I won't be in the business of telling the people who help him they can't do what they want with their time/money.

Just fucking tragic all around really.

Aye sorry, that was it ;)

I'm going through a bit of this with my brother and his wife (which usually ends in violence between them or whoever they've crossed while drunk). You have sympathy but you run out after years of threats, assaults and ridiculous outbursts for no reason, you just get worn down by it all. You don't give up but you find it hard to show the love you have for them, you're just beaten down.