Steve Harper

Tooj

are some ppl on here goalkeeper experts, bar 1-2 keepers in the world would of saved that 3rd goal it was hit with precision and speed that he could hardly get down before it was past him

Due to poor positioning.

notice how only newcastle fan's have picked up on it, there are some really fickle fan's on this board

Why would fans of other clubs be looking and trying to analyze our performance to the same detail as Newcastle fans?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6105/harper.jpg

Too big a gap at his near post imo, but just because I'm pointing out an error it doesn't mean I'm fickle, I've also mentioned he made some very good saves yesterday.

The rule of thumb with 'keepers is "can you cover it"? Harper did have it covered but failed to react quickly enough, that was his error, not his positioning.

Both were poor tbh.

are some ppl on here goalkeeper experts, bar 1-2 keepers in the world would of saved that 3rd goal it was hit with precision and speed that he could hardly get down before it was past him

Due to poor positioning.

More pointless over the top player bashing.  The guy made some amazing saves and he's being called not up to it because he didn't stop a low hard shot that went right in the bottom corner from 7 or 8 yards out :nope:

Due to poor positioning.

Erm and if he's been right next to his post and Nasri had crossed for someone to tap in?  Then it would be bad positioning again right?

Guest toonlass

More pointless over the top player bashing.  The guy made some amazing saves and he's being called not up to it because he didn't stop a low hard shot that went right in the bottom corner from 7 or 8 yards out :nope:

:clap:

Its just the way it is. Every single goal we ever concede is our fault and nothing to do with the other team.

So true! And the way we concede goals is just horrible...so soft goals most of them

Any goalkeeper worth his salt would be dissapointed with that, it was very poor goalkeeping

whilst covering for Given there was an incentive for him to play well now there ain't therefore  true  colours come to the fore.

What a load of overly cynical garbage.

I'd bet my house that Kinnear will try and get another keeper in the summer. So you reckon Harper's sat on our bench for ten years, then a month or so into his number 1 status has put his feet up? Get a grip. Harper's not everyone's cup of tea but he's one of few in the squad who i believe to be fully committed to the side.

whilst covering for Given there was an incentive for him to play well now there ain't therefore  true  colours come to the fore.

What a load of overly cynical garbage.

I'd bet my house that Kinnear will try and get another keeper in the summer. So you reckon Harper's sat on our bench for ten years, then a month or so into his number 1 status has put his feet up? Get a grip. Harper's not everyone's cup of tea but he's one of few in the squad who i believe to be fully committed to the side.

indeed

Guest neesy111

Any goalkeeper worth his salt would be dissapointed with that, it was very poor goalkeeping

haha, have you seen the goal, it was more near the penalty spot than the edge of the 18 yard box, so it was hardly being beaten at the near post

My initial post never said anything of the sort.

haha, have you seen the goal, it was more near the penalty spot than the edge of the 18 yard box, so it was hardly being beaten at the near post

aye, I was sat 15 yards away from Harper as it happens. It was poor goalkeeping to anyone who understands keeping

aye, I was sat 15 yards away from Harper as it happens. It was poor goalkeeping to anyone who understands keeping

Without a doubt. To cover the nearest post is always the goalkeepers responsibility.

He's been a mixed bag since he came in - some cracking saves and noticably better at claiming crosses than Given, but has also shipped some soft goals and can't communicate with Colo and Bassong (and Beye when he came on).

As many have said though, he's the least of our worries right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some great saves today. Didn't do much wrong in my eyes.

He slowly needs to build towards not only full match fitness but also adjusting to the mentality of being a number one and playing week-in week-out, something he's almost never had to do for most of his career. I think he's getting progressively better with every match and I still trust him as our number one.

He slowly needs to build towards not only full match fitness but also adjusting to the mentality of being a number one and playing week-in week-out, something he's almost never had to do for most of his career. I think he's getting progressively better with every match and I still trust him as our number one.

It's his distribution and lack of urgency that's letting him down once again.

It's interesting how Harper and Given both get criticized for having poor distribution. Could it possibly be because they both had nothing to kick at because our midfield is essentially a giant black hole?

It's interesting how Harper and Given both get criticized for having poor distribution. Could it possibly be because they both had nothing to kick at because our midfield is essentially a giant black hole?

But some of his kicking today was woeful, even when he wasn't under any sort of pressure at all.

He's no Given but then again if he had been then he would have challenged Shay more for the no.1 spot. Selling Given is up there with some of the very worst decisions this club haa ever made, I am not knocking Harper but we have to be honest and admir how much we are missing Given.