Steve Harper

Tooj

Fucking appalling today in terms of distribution, but when has Harper ever been good at this?

I have seen it mentioned as one of his strengths over Given (who was apparently a poor "kicker" despite good proficiency with both feet from what I remember seeing of him) but personally I've never seen it. He takes too long, is too indecisive and generally lacks any technique or direction with his kicking - both from stationary positions, back-passes and with his drop-kicks.

I've been hoping against hope that he'd step into this role as number one with ease and show us all that he could have been England's goalkeeper, but honestly, all I'm seeing is a goalkeeper very similar to Shay Given, but not quite at his level - which is honestly all I can ever remember seeing in Harper. Doesn't command any more than Given does, doesn't communicate any more than Given does, doesn't display any more leadership/professionalism than Given does.

Again, I've criticised people on the past for picking out small faults with generally good players, but I must say it's easy to see why it happens when people are wound-up/frustrated about what they've seen on a match-day.

Think there were a number of players who didn't step up to the occasion today - not by a long chalk - and unfortunately Harper was one of them.

Must mention that he did make some good stops late on, though, particularly from Kalou when one-on-one. Game was over by then like.

Guest Heneage

I read an interview in which Beye said he speaks very good French, which only frustrated me more as when I've seen him he's a piss poor communicator who's distribution is rival to the pony express for speed.

Sad thing is he used to compare to Given, now he really doesnt. Wouldnt be a tough choice atall on recent form...shame. Not to blame for most of the goals he is though, we're just far to used to taking Givens shot stopping ability for Granted. If a player was 1 on 1 you knew Given could save us, Harper doesnt have that.

I read an interview in which Beye said he speaks very good French, which only frustrated me more as when I've seen him he's a piss poor communicator who's distribution is rival to the pony express for speed.

Maybe its because half of our defence speak Spanish?

f***ing appalling today in terms of distribution, but when has Harper ever been good at this?

I have seen it mentioned as one of his strengths over Given (who was apparently a poor "kicker" despite good proficiency with both feet from what I remember seeing of him) but personally I've never seen it. He takes too long, is too indecisive and generally lacks any technique or direction with his kicking - both from stationary positions, back-passes and with his drop-kicks.

I've been hoping against hope that he'd step into this role as number one with ease and show us all that he could have been England's goalkeeper, but honestly, all I'm seeing is a goalkeeper very similar to Shay Given, but not quite at his level - which is honestly all I can ever remember seeing in Harper. Doesn't command any more than Given does, doesn't communicate any more than Given does, doesn't display any more leadership/professionalism than Given does.

Again, I've criticised people on the past for picking out small faults with generally good players, but I must say it's easy to see why it happens when people are wound-up/frustrated about what they've seen on a match-day.

Think there were a number of players who didn't step up to the occasion today - not by a long chalk - and unfortunately Harper was one of them.

Must mention that he did make some good stops late on, though, particularly from Kalou when one-on-one. Game was over by then like.

When Harper first got into the team in 98, his distribution looked absolutely fantastic tbh. Really accurate, powerful kicking

our keepers have never had good distribution imo.

harper needs a stone or so off, he looks too fat to me.

Agreed about Harper needing to lose some weight, said this when he first got the gloves after Given left.

• 4 months later...

He definitely made his first genuine case for the first team yesterday with that save from Howard, but I can't help feeling that with the defence we've got, the midfield we've got and the strikeforce we've got that we'd be so much better off in the long run if we gave Krul much needed experience.

He definitely made his first genuine case for the first team yesterday with that save from Howard, but I can't help feeling that with the defence we've got, the midfield we've got and the strikeforce we've got that we'd be so much better off in the long run if we gave Krul much needed experience.

that's laughable

Most recently, what were you doing when we played Sheff Wed and he kept us in the game?

honestly, what nonsense. We need to get promoted, not give youngsters experience

The truth however is that of the current players, only Taylor, Enrique, Barton, Guthrie and maybe Jonas and Colo are good enough to stay up in the PL. Its all very well playing a team promoted, but unless we take steps to create a larger retinue of players good enough for that division, promotion is pointless if we don't have the money to sustain it. Thus it is necessary for our long term ambitions to give some invaluable experience to the likes of Carroll, Ranger, Krul, Kadar, Vuckic. We have good enough players throughout the team for us to take those risks.

you don't take risks with goalkeeping man, it's rule number one

A manager took a risk on Harper once. A manager took a risk on Given once. A manager took a risk on Buffon once. A manager took a risk on Casillas once.

A manager took a risk on Harper once. A manager took a risk on Given once. A manager took a risk on Buffon once. A manager took a risk on Casillas once.

aye and even on Kahn.

:lol:

They don't take the risk on these players by randomly deciding to drop their first choice, perfectly competent goalkeeper and replace him with an unknown quantity.

They work their way into the team over time, often not being a frequent team member until mid 20s. Through coming in when other players are injured or unavailable.

I see your good GK's and raise you Massimo Taibi.

Still a pub keeper fat lazy lethargic slow.slows down play to a pace all the time.distribution of the ball very poor..made a few good saves yesterday but his lack of agility is going to cost us at times i dont care what anyone says Krul is a far better keeper than this guy, dominates his box a lot more and a lot more assured in the air

Harper has played what, 4 games now and kept a clean sheet in each one? Aside from that he's made crucial saves aswell.

Managers didn't take a risk on these keepers, they played them when their number one choice was injured, or in the case of the 3 keepers you named, were phenomenal for their age. Krul is ok, but he lacks experience which is crucial in this league.

Deal with it and stop whimpering on about this pathetic Krul Krush that you have.

Still a pub keeper fat lazy lethargic slow.slows down play to a pace all the time.distribution of the ball very poor..made a few good saves yesterday but his lack of agility is going to cost us at times i dont care what anyone says Krul is a far better keeper than this guy, dominates his box a lot more and a lot more assured in the air

A facepalm fails to adequately express my dismay at the idiocy of that post.