Steve Harper

Tooj

you called Harper 'w***' and said Krul should play against Reading, right?

:lol:  So does context not come into play at all? I said that rightfully, he should play against Reading on merit. Harper was terrible and injured, whereas Krul was fit and played absolutely brilliantly. It's not the same as saying he should be the number 1 goalie; but he deserved to keep his place for that game.

fair enough. You weren't the only one, but the reaction to that WBA game was the most ridiculous thing i've experienced on this forum, people oblivious to Krul's mistakes and suddenly saying he was better than Harper, baffling.

Don't understand the Harper hate. He will win us games in this division. Give Krul the cups.

If our outfield wasn't so f***ing amazing i'd say quite the opposite. He's got faults that could see us drop quite a few points really; i'd certainly put the blame on him for that goal at West Brom earlier in the season. He's always been a really good shot-stopper but he's got all Given's other faults, just sorta multiplied.

I don't love Harper at all, I think he has a fair few flaws, but I think he's still a lot more polished at his trade than Mr.Krul at this point in time. Understandably so.

Conceded only 1 goal in 5 games, fantastic.

Would be 0 in 5 if it wasn't for his f*** up at West Brom.

which looks somewhat favourable compared to Krul's 3 f*** ups against Huddersfield

Is this strictly a Harper vs Krul argument? I was just speaking in general, i think LLLO was aswell. I'd have him over Krul but i'm still not totally comfortable with him as number 1.

you seem to be changing your mind a lot in that respect mate  :lol:

In terms of GK, CM and CB there's absolutely nowt to worry about for me

Really? We're only two injuries away from Simpson-Kadar being our centre back pairing.

:lol:  So does context not come into play at all? I said that rightfully, he should play against Reading on merit. Harper was terrible and injured, whereas Krul was fit and played absolutely brilliantly. It's not the same as saying he should be the number 1 goalie; but he deserved to keep his place for that game.

fair enough. You weren't the only one, but the reaction to that WBA game was the most ridiculous thing i've experienced on this forum, people oblivious to Krul's mistakes and suddenly saying he was better than Harper, baffling.

They said he was better in that game which he clearly was & that because of that he deserved to start the next game, which he did. Whats so baffling about it ?

I can't help but feel that many of us are spoiled rotten in terms of 'keepers. Harper is not as good as someone like Van Der Saar, but he's not far off and he is certainly better than the majority of 'keepers in the Premiership (probably all but 5). It would be absolute folly to think we could do better in terms of signing someone better even if we were still in the Premiership.

Fair play to criticise his mistakes (few as they are in comparison to other 'keepers - especially in this league), but he is excellent and I am very glad he is here.

I can't help but feel that many of us are spoiled rotten in terms of 'keepers. Harper is not as good as someone like Van Der Saar, but he's not far off and he is certainly better than the majority of 'keepers in the Premiership (probably all but 5). It would be absolute folly to think we could do better in terms of signing someone better even if we were still in the Premiership.

Fair play to criticise his mistakes (few as they are in comparison to other 'keepers - especially in this league), but he is excellent and I am very glad he is here.

Funny you mention Van Der Saar because I thought he was abysmal last season. (And yes, I know he kept a clean sheet for however many games.)

I really dont understand how there's an argument to be had here, he's not Pagliuca but he's solid, rarely makes mistakes after a run of games and is still a good shotstopper. If there's a better keeper in this league i've yet to see him

This is Newcastle-Online, if we had Buffon in goal and Torres upfront people would still moan about them!

Don't understand the Harper hate. He will win us games in this division. Give Krul the cups.

If our outfield wasn't so f***ing amazing i'd say quite the opposite. He's got faults that could see us drop quite a few points really; i'd certainly put the blame on him for that goal at West Brom earlier in the season. He's always been a really good shot-stopper but he's got all Given's other faults, just sorta multiplied.

I don't love Harper at all, I think he has a fair few flaws, but I think he's still a lot more polished at his trade than Mr.Krul at this point in time. Understandably so.

which looks somewhat favourable compared to Krul's 3 f*** ups against Huddersfield

Is this strictly a Harper vs Krul argument? I was just speaking in general, i think LLLO was aswell. I'd have him over Krul but i'm still not totally comfortable with him as number 1.

Really? We're only two injuries away from Simpson-Kadar being our centre back pairing.

To be fair, I was talking about the first choice Xl. It goes without saying that we have no cover whatsover

They said he was better in that game which he clearly was & that because of that he deserved to start the next game, which he did. Whats so baffling about it ?

People saying that Krul was a better keeper based on 45 mixed bag minutes and you wonder what's baffling about that? Use your fucking head man Jayson

To be fair, I was talking about the first choice Xl. It goes without saying that we have no cover whatsover

Fair enough. Bar wingers and maybe strikers (although Shola has started well and Loven will be easily good enough imo) I'm not worried about any of the first XI tbh, assuming Simpson continues to be good enough. Strength is my main concern throughout the squad and I wish we'd brought in a 3rd choice CB above any other position if we'd had one more transfer. Kadar may end up being decent but he shouldn't be higher than 4th choice at the moment imo.

I really dont understand how there's an argument to be had here, he's not Pagliuca but he's solid, rarely makes mistakes after a run of games and is still a good shotstopper. If there's a better keeper in this league i've yet to see him

This is Newcastle-Online, if we had Buffon in goal and Torres upfront people would still moan about them!

If Nicky Butt is playing, it wouldn't matter who is up front tbh.

Villa is better than torres though..........:nile:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 13 years later...