Kevin Nolan Doing His Bit Today

Skirge

The talk of Nolan "bottling" the penalty is bollocks

Correct. I was (as they say in the business) "talking shite".

Oba went and grabbed the ball as soon as the whistle went, he was the chosen taker (remember Kinnear had said that after Barton grabbed the ball off him against WBA). Nolan's missed penalty was almost identical to Oba's too.

Yes, point taken there too, Wullbert.

You got a problem with him mate ?  :lol:

Not particularly other than I still don't trust him at all. Reckon he's some sort of Allardyce-inspired revenge mechanism.

:harry:

• 1 month later...

Best game since he joined for us by a long way tonight.

He made his presence felt in the penalty area and tonight that was enough against a powder puff boro. In midfield though he struggled to keep with the pace. If we stay up we should sell to Blackburn or Stoke if they are interested.

Involved in all the goals, ran his socks off, didn't hide. Much more like what I was hoping to see from him after his signing.

Deserves a lot of credit.

The fact he has two assists is a sign that he got into the right places at the right time, which is exactly what we need from a midfielder at this point. He can still be a good signing for us, still a way to go in fully getting his fitness back but he looked better.

He did good enough yesterday. If he can put in the same performance against Villa i'll think differently about him. As it stands, still hope he's sold and a better player brought in (which i don't think should be too hard).

He's not fit enough at this level although he's shown he's got character which is what we needed last night. He knows he can't compete fairly so he makes use of a lot of dirty tricks like blocking runs illegally and deliberate fouls. At least it worked in our favour last night, and that cross for the 3rd goal was the best delivery of the night.

Sell for £3m if we can find a taker next season.

Could we sell in the summer?

Train the fuck out of him in the summer, get him into a fit state to perform at this level and see how he goes. If he is still looking shite flog him in January.

Guest Phil K

Involved in all the goals, ran his socks off, didn't hide. Much more like what I was hoping to see from him after his signing.

Deserves a lot of credit.

I was pleased at his signing, thought he'd offer more bite

Hugely disappointed so far. Nowhere near the form expected.

Signing of Ryan Taylor I wasn't impressed by, so no surprise since.

Didn't think he was particularly good last night myself, bit better than he's been in most games but he'd fucking want to be.

Did have a hand in the last two goals though so deserves some credit for that.

He does what Kevin Nolan does best today. Not much graft or skill, but just extremely effective at getting into good positions and bossing areas in and around the box.

The thing about Nolan is that he's gone from having an entire team built around him at Bolton to just being a cog in a (highly dysfunctional) machine. It's no surprise that he was at his most effective under Big Sam when Bolton's strategy pretty much revolved around him and Davies.

It's up to him to adapt his game to suit his new situation. And while early signs don't look promising, we've spent 3m on the bloke and we should at least give him some time to see if he can do it or not.

Didn't think he was particularly good last night myself, bit better than he's been in most games but he'd fucking want to be.

Agreed.

reality check tbh average against a shit team at home but against better opposition back to being crap but the only thing i can say in defence of him is he has spent years playing a certain style of football at Bolton and maybe he is finding it hard to adjust       oh hold on he is not good enough  :rolleyes:

Guest Heneage

I'd have him on a diet and one of the first in for pre season he looks good but his fitness looks really poor.

:thup:

:thup:

Blocked Taylor's marker for the first as well, hence me saying involved in all 3! Nice to see we learned something from the Anfield annihilation.