Who is the best player in the world?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Messi is well on the way to being the best player ever imo. Most people on this forum coudn't comment on the likes of Maradona, Best, Pele because they never actually saw them play, it's their reputations that carry them. The only way to judge them players against each other is through video footage, stats and honours - and Messi is well on his way to beating them players on all of these things.

He'll have been voted the best player in the world twice before he's even 22 man, no player ever comes close to that. He's scored more goals of sheer individual magic than Maradona did in his career and he's only 22. There'll never br a consise way of comparing players of different generations but the way he's going by the time he is 30 he will statistcally be the best footballer ever. It's certainly not ridiculous to make that assumption.

I can safely say I've got a collection of games involving all three of those whereby I can say I've safely seen enough of them to judge.

So you've just judged people on this forum for posting comments about players who they no doubt won't have seen then post something like that.

Guest Stephen927

I'm sure at the time people were reluctant to call the likes of Maradona and Pele the best in the world because of players who have gone before them. In 20 years if Messi continues this way people will be lauding him like we laud Maradona and Pele.

If Messi continues as he is, then he will arguably be the greatest player the game has ever seen.

As everyone on here knows I am a massive fan of Messi and I think he is brilliant and there's no doubt he's the best player in the world. However I find that statement absolutely incredible.

Why won't he be?  Explain why Pele, Maradona et al are better than him.

Messi is well on the way to being the best player ever imo. Most people on this forum coudn't comment on the likes of Maradona, Best, Pele because they never actually saw them play, it's their reputations that carry them. The only way to judge them players against each other is through video footage, stats and honours - and Messi is well on his way to beating them players on all of these things.

He'll have been voted the best player in the world twice before he's even 22 man, no player ever comes close to that. He's scored more goals of sheer individual magic than Maradona did in his career and he's only 22. There'll never br a consise way of comparing players of different generations but the way he's going by the time he is 30 he will statistcally be the best footballer ever. It's certainly not ridiculous to make that assumption.

I can safely say I've got a collection of games involving all three of those whereby I can say I've safely seen enough of them to judge.

So you've just judged people on this forum for posting comments about players who they no doubt won't have seen then post something like that.

I've seen limited footage of the likes of Best and Maradona, and the odd grainy image of some goals Pele scored in World Cups. I'm not going to form a concise opinion of that, so fair point there's obviously alot of people who are likely to judge them players more accurately than me.

I don't really want to get into a debate about this because it's an argument that can never truly be solved, but how much have you actually seen of them players? A few games? a few highlights? I'm sure there isn't that much footage around concisely to portray the genius that goes with their reputations - especially so with Pele. Have you really seen enough to tell me they're better players than Messi? For all I know they very well might have been, and the kind of career statistics they have go along way to defending that - but to concisely rule out Messi being anywhere near these players is just wrong. He's pretty much nearly done as much as these players and he's just 22 - if he goes on to do it at the World Cup (which seems to be the one thing that gets you the untouchable status) I don't think you can doubt he's up there.

One simply cannot judge if a player is the greatest ever unless they were around to experience life with them at their peak.

I consider Ronaldo to be the greatest ever, but Messi will be there barring problems in a very short time indeed.

Messi has been the best for 3 or 4 years,Pele was for over 10 year,amongst greater competion too.Best,Charlton,Eusebio etc.

You could argue Messi has Best, Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldo as competition over the upcoming years.

Leon?  :cheesy:

But yes, we're hardly through a bad patch regarding world-class footballers. I think Cesc can also enter in contention if he stays at Arsenal (a team that plays around him at the moment). His figures this year are hard to ignore.

And I'd say that Messi has only been in contention for BPITW for the past two years, the first he's had injury-free.

Messi has been the best for 3 or 4 years,Pele was for over 10 year,amongst greater competion too.Best,Charlton,Eusebio etc.

You could argue Messi has Best, Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldo as competition over the upcoming years.

Leon?  :cheesy:

But yes, we're hardly through a bad patch regarding world-class footballers. I think Cesc can also enter in contention if he stays at Arsenal (a team that plays around him at the moment). His figures this year are hard to ignore.

And I'd say that Messi has only been in contention for BPITW for the past two years, the first he's had injury-free.

I did mean him , but only in jest . Lets not kid ourselves, he is in the top 20 but not in the top 5 players in the world.

Aye, like Kalou, Malouda, and Anelka.

Utter nonsense there, Keith.

Anelka has been no worse than Berbatov, tbh, and significantly better at times. I don't see how you can consider Man Utd's midfield to be on a par or better than Chelsea's, tbh. They might be under-performing, but as individuals they seem to be clearly better players to me.

Not saying he's the best player in the world, but Higuain's goal ratio this season is pretty damn good.

Games Goals Assists

21           20             3

:coolsmiley:

Has CR9 & Kaka amongst others supplying him though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rooney, scores, creates, amazing work-rate, technically brilliant, amazing skills, vision etc. - just an all-round great player.

Not saying he's the best player in the world, but Higuain's goal ratio this season is pretty damn good.

Games Goals Assists

CR9 only supplies himself to be honest. Higuaín is damn good at making its own chances. He doesn't have the all-round game of a Rooney or Drogba, though. He's still young.

Games Goals Assists

CR9 only supplies himself to be honest. Higuaín is damn good at making its own chances. He doesn't have the all-round game of a Rooney or Drogba, though. He's still young.

Creates a lot space though, as he attracts so much attention from defenders.

Messi is in the form of his life at the moment, but he still has a lot to do to be considered an all time great, even if he's spectacular right now. Last year for example he had a great season overall but was completely shut out by Chelsea and ManU in the big CL games, whereby he was a marked man and reduced to a few good touches mixed in with the odd dribble attempt (plus of course a headed goal). Iniesta on the other hand was the one to truly stand up on the big stage and display his talent.

To compete with the likes of Maradona, he needs to do it on the big stage against the top players, which is what the all-time greats did in their respective eras. Running riot against Valencia and Stuttgart isn't the same as carrying an average team to World Cup glory for example. Zidane (imo) is the only modern day player who can be said to have met these performance requirements (with the "real" Ronaldo also doing it for a few years prior to injury), in many of the big games for both club and country he stood out and played his natural creative game irrespective of who he was up against, with the opposition being unable to prevent him doing so.

If Messi can continue the current performance levels right up until after the World Cup ends, then yeah, he'll be one of the best players ever. If he gets shut out on the big stage and becomes quiet like he has been in the past, then he'll merely be (arguably) the best player in the world at the moment, much like Ronaldinho was a few years earlier, Rivaldo before him, so on and so forth.

Hat-trick v Real Madrid at 19 (I think he was)?

Yes.

He would also have played in the 2006 CL final (at 18 years!) if he hadn't been injuried.

I think that proves he can do it in big games, also scored a header which is amazing in itself, but he did it in the Champions League final v Man utd...

Tooj, you probably have watched more of Pele, Maradona and whoever you want to name, than myself. However you haven't explained how saying Messi would arguably the best player the game has seen if he continues at the level he's currently at, is an incredible suggestion?

I say 'arguably' because ultimately, everyone will have their own personal opinion about what actually makes someone 'the best'.

Tooj, you probably have watched more of Pele, Maradona and whoever you want to name, than myself. However you haven't explained how saying Messi would arguably the best player the game has seen if he continues at the level he's currently at, is an incredible suggestion?

I say 'arguably' because ultimately, everyone will have their own personal opinion about what actually makes someone 'the best'.

In short Messi's passing and vision isn't as good as Maradona's was. Pele is the most complete player to ever play the game, he literally had everything, brilliant in the air, brilliant vision, two footed, pace and power in abundance.

Kaka is on a downward spiral now and Rooney and Ronaldo aren't as good as the likes of Garrincha, Best , Eusebio and Charlton.