Who is the best player in the world?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From reading this thread, I think Etoo' is a bit overrated.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great goalscorer and his record speaks for itself. But I couldn't put him up there with guys like Torres or Drogba (when on form) who are much more complete forwards than Etoo' as far as I can see.

Against the better opposition he struggles more as his raw pace and power aren't enough to overwhelm defenders. The two legs against Man U last year he was absolutely pathetic as every time he got the ball he didn't have the space he normally does. In games like that your first touch and footballing brain become crucial and he's just not good enough in those aspects of his game to be someone I'd consider the best. His first touch in particular can be absolutely woeful at times.

If I were in charge of Barca (and God willing one day I will be) I'd honestly look to bring in Ibrahimovic or someone of that ilk in Etoo's place. Zlatan is wasted at Inter, sorround him with pacey, skillful, intelligent footballers like Messi, Iniesta and Xavi and I think he'd be an absolute monster.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great goalscorer and his record speaks for itself. But I couldn't put him up there with guys like Torres or Drogba (when on form) who are much more complete forwards than Etoo' as far as I can see.

Against the better opposition he struggles more as his raw pace and power aren't enough to overwhelm defenders. The two legs against Man U last year he was absolutely pathetic as every time he got the ball he didn't have the space he normally does. In games like that your first touch and footballing brain become crucial and he's just not good enough in those aspects of his game to be someone I'd consider the best. His first touch in particular can be absolutely woeful at times.

If I were in charge of Barca (and God willing one day I will be) I'd honestly look to bring in Ibrahimovic or someone of that ilk in Etoo's place. Zlatan is wasted at Inter, sorround him with pacey, skillful, intelligent footballers like Messi, Iniesta and Xavi and I think he'd be an absolute monster.

Eto'o's just a shit Andy Cole iyam. ;)

I agree about Zlatan at Barca, the only thing is his lack of pace would mean they'd have to change their style completely.

Guest Howaythetoon

Best performing player right now: Messi

Best all-round player right now: Toss up between Rooney and Gerrard

All 3 are world-class footballers playing to form.

Overall Messi shades it. A joy to watch. Would love to see him live.

Guest firetotheworks

Best performing player right now: Messi

Best all-round player right now: Toss up between Rooney and Gerrard

All 3 are world-class footballers playing to form.

Overall Messi shades it. A joy to watch. Would love to see him live.

Saw him for 20 minutes in 2007 for Barca against Almeria and the Neu Camp. The best 20 minutes Ive seen from any player. The match was boring, Henry, Eto'o and Ronaldinho were'nt performing. Still 1- 0 up though. Messi comes on, 3 minutes later he wins and converts a penalty and Almeria spent the rest of the 17 minutes chasing his shadow. Yaya Toure was also excellent that night.

I agree about Zlatan at Barca, the only thing is his lack of pace would mean they'd have to change their style completely.

I'm not sure it'd be much of a change tbh, there's still more than enough movement with the aforementioned players around for them to keep their style.

If anything it'd help as it'd allow Messi, Iniesta and Henry to play balls into Zlatan's feet and make a run off it, with Etoo' it's not so easy as his play with his back to goal is nothing to get excited about by any means.

Remember watching Messi's first goal for Barca on Sky.

Came on as a sub and scored a beautiful little lob. The confidence and ease with which he did everything was stunning, you knew you were watching something special emerge that night.

Remember watching Messi's first goal for Barca on Sky.

Came on as a sub and scored a beautiful little lob. The confidence and ease with which he did everything was stunning, you knew you were watching something special emerge that night.

:sadnod:

He slotted right into that team man. But the way he didn't just slot in, but started to outshine everyone else was something to behold. I remember seeing him tear up the world youth cup that summer as well.

Agree about Zlatan at Barca, would be a terrible move for barca, be a good replacement for Nistelrooy at Madrid though.

Cole isn't fit to lace Eto'o boots though.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, not sure who'd I actually rate as a better player overall when all is said and done though.

Point was that I think Barca would benefit from more of a focal point player, something which is particularly useful when you're up against top opposition and can't have it all your own way. An outlet type player that allow you to be that little more direct on the rare occasions that Xavi and Iniesta can't complete humiliate their opponents in the middle. Can't really do that with Etoo' leading your line, not if you expect any degree of success.

Also could be useful if you come up against a top class, well organised defensive side ala Man U last year. Very hard to play the way Barca do and get success against the top defenses, as it's so hard to pass the ball through them.

Would actually help Messi's game as well, someone for him to work off and get the ball back to him when he makes those lovely little give and goes.

What does 'ZOMG' mean by the way?

A more enthusiastic (if not sarcastic) way of saying OMG. The Z doesn't stand for anything, but rather is added onto the O, thus making it pronounced "ZOH MY GOD!!1"