The media's reaction to our plight

Guest Howaythetoon

I love how he says that, yet the players still arnt bothered. After all if we go down they can just leave for a top flight club and underperform for them.

not convinced tbh - the majority of our wasters will struggle to find another club unless they significantly reduce their demands imo

who on earth is going to look at what the likes of smith & duff have produced for us then think about paying them big money?  it might happen but a large portion of our squad (unfortunately for us) have blown their reputations to shreds in their time at NUFC

i think we'll struggle to get rid of a lot of them

Duff and Smith will get lovely roles at Celtic and Rangers. Not the same money, but will be rated as world beaters im sure.

Guest Geordiesned

The "we could be going into administration" story.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/91893/Toon-fear-a-nine-point-Tyne-bomb-

What a ridiculous article!

Now there are fears among the Toon army that desperate owner Mike Ashley, who is also having a torrid time with his sports retail business, could stun the football world by taking the famous North East club into administration.

"Fears among the Toon Army"???

What a load of shite!

The "we could be going into administration" story.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/91893/Toon-fear-a-nine-point-Tyne-bomb-

What a ridiculous article!

Now there are fears among the Toon army that desperate owner Mike Ashley, who is also having a torrid time with his sports retail business, could stun the football world by taking the famous North East club into administration.

"Fears among the Toon Army"???

What a load of s****!

What would be the advantage of administration for Ashley?

Administration would be a worry for me, and I feel that Ashley wouldn't have 2nd thoughts about it during the summer, if it could be used to his advantage (ie getting shot of the club quicker)

All football related debts will have have to be paid in full - transfer fees, player wages etc. Ashley then would be the main debtor. Could you really see Ashley putting his own Club into Administration and accept anything from 1p to 10p in the pound settlement when someone else jumps in to snap up the absolute bargain that NUFC would become?

It's 99% bullshit the article.

Administration would be a worry for me, and I feel that Ashley wouldn't have 2nd thoughts about it during the summer, if it could be used to his advantage (ie getting shot of the club quicker)

All football related debts will have have to be paid in full - transfer fees, player wages etc. Ashley then would be the main debtor. Could you really see Ashley putting his own Club into Administration and accept anything from 1p to 10p in the pound settlement when someone else jumps in to snap up the absolute bargain that NUFC would become?

That's what I said last week when somebody told me they'd heard this rumour. It just doesn't make sense at all.

That's what I said last week when somebody told me they'd heard this rumour. It just doesn't make sense at all.

Ok I know noubt about finance. But if he did this, Mike Ashley owns the debt of the club. Therefore the club owes Mike Ashley money. By putting the club into administration doesn't that mean that Ashley gets to leave the club with his £250m that the club owes him (or whatever that amount is) and he can then sell the club for 1p, still making a profit even through relegation?

Guest sittingontheball

You're kidding yourselves big time here. The media would love us to go down, it'd be such a great story. Conflict between the fans and the owner just adds spice to it, and they'd love that situation to deteriorate still further. The relish with which every defeat or disappointment is being reported makes that very clear.

The media's business managers definitely want us to stay up.

The mong journos just want to traipse out the same old patronising cliches to fill their column or their two-minute slot with the minimum of effort. They'll spin it to whatever agenda they have, probably with relish on top. Their bosses will still side with the business managers however.

Ok I know noubt about finance. But if he did this, Mike Ashley owns the debt of the club. Therefore the club owes Mike Ashley money. By putting the club into administration doesn't that mean that Ashley gets to leave the club with his £250m that the club owes him (or whatever that amount is) and he can then sell the club for 1p, still making a profit even through relegation?

The club owed Ashley around £100m and while the loan has (farily cheap) intrerest payable, Ashley waived this according to the last set of accounts. The remaining loan of around £145m is effecively held at St James Holdings Limited level and represents the money used to buy the club in the first place. In the event of administration of the club, this loan would is unlikely to be repaid unless a very good offer was made for NUFC. That £145m is more or less up in smoke now and it will be very difficult for Ashley to recover any of that.

He certainly won't be making a profit- he massively overpaid for a business that already had impending cashflow issues and is likely to lose at least £150m of his investment.

We've seen in the last year that the rules of common sense don't apply where NUFC is concerned, and those who run it. Nothing would surprise me anymore to be honest.  I fear for a 'scorched earth' policy.....

From a Football perspective common sense hasn't applied no, but he's not going to make a business decision that amounts to financial suicide.

No, the club owes Ashley just over £100 million, the other £135 million or whatever it was is what he paid to Shepherd and the Halls to own the club.  That money isn't owed to him, he'd have to sell the club to try to get that back.  All he'd get if he brought in administrators is the small amount of cash they would bring in selling assets on the cheap and any money they get if they sold the club, again on the cheap, minus the administrators fee.  All in all he could maybe expect £40-£50 million, if he's lucky, a £200 million loss.

If he put the club up for sale now for nowt with the proviso that the money owed to him was paid in full immediately I'm sure it would go like a shot.  In which case he'd be getting about £110 million back, losing less then £140 million.

Where's that thread that highlighted every story in the press that was "bollocks"?

I'm interested in double checking how many turned out to be spot on.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,48889.0.html

Hmmm, most links don't work.

Those that do seem to be opinion pieces about how deluded we are if we think Keegan/Ashley are the winning ticket.

:-[

Guest Howaythetoon

It's a classic case where a successful business man thought he could transfer his skills to any other platform. Business just doesn't work like that.

You have to understand the business you're in and be competent enough to work in it. All the business skills and experience Ashley has accumulated throughout his life means sweet FA to him in an industry he doesn't understand and is ill equipped to work in.

If this is the case you have to pick the people to do your business for you very carefuly and this is where Ashley has fell down as much as anywhere else in terms of his ownership of NUFC.

I remember reading an article about Alan Sugar and he admitted he didn't have the first clue about half the stuff he's involved in but that's why he spends fortunes on hiring people who do, hence why he makes a success of most things. Ironically he failed in football and that's because he didn't have a clue, as he once again admitted, that and he hired the wrong people. Venables, Gross etc.

Ring any bells....

Guest Howaythetoon

NUFC is big news, take today's events for example, all over the media. I was listening to Radio 1 this morning and even they were talking about it, although as a possible April Fools joke.