Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest SupermacTheLegend

Cant wait till saturday, going to the match with my best mate,

I Love you King Al,  :smitten:

unlike Alan Oliver

Is he the one that works for the Chronical.

Guest johnson293

I think if there was no truth in it, then Shearer himself would have denied it by now.

Interesting theory on the previous page though (via .com) about the possibility that his appointment could have something to do with new investment in the club.

The whole timing just seems odd, otherwise.

I think if there was no truth in it, then Shearer himself would have denied it by now.

Interesting theory on the previous page though (via .com) about the possibility that his appointment could have something to do with new investment in the club.

Unless the investment only happens if we stay up...

Cant wait till saturday, going to the match with my best mate,

I Love you King Al,  :smitten:

unlike Alan Oliver

Is he the one that works for the Chronical.

He's the highly respected journalist who looks like the bloke from Rainbow (go on do a google images search and see the resemblence) who is now banned from SJP

Guest johnson293

The right man for the job... but are there enough games left?

Good Question.

It took Keegan 9 or 10 games last season to get his first win, and they only drew 3  of them before finally beating Fulham.

Ashley has eventually decided to punt some of his capital to try to save about half of his investment in NUFC if we can avoid relegation.

My guess is that he's offered Shearer in excess of £2 million if he keeps us up and that is a shed load of money for 2 months work, even if you're Alan Shearer.

I understand the excitement, but looking at this dispassionately, ie as an outsider, there's no doubt that the Kinnear appointment was a disaster, but is this the best idea now?

Running out of games, tough run-in, in the relegation places, time running out, he may be a Newcastle legend, but at the end of the day, you're still appointing someone who hasn't managed a parks team.

Ashley tried the emotional appointment with Keegan, and he's done it again here.

Would it not make sense to appoint someone with (recent) experience now and then Shearer from the start of next season?

I understand the excitement, but looking at this dispassionately, ie as an outsider, there's no doubt that the Kinnear appointment was a disaster, but is this the best idea now?

Running out of games, tough run-in, in the relegation places, time running out, he may be a Newcastle legend, but at the end of the day, you're still appointing someone who hasn't managed a parks team.

Ashley tried the emotional appointment with Keegan, and he's done it again here.

Would it not make sense to appoint someone with (recent) experience now and then Shearer from the start of next season?

No it wouldn't IMO.  As you said there are only 8 games left, we needed an impact appointment and if anyone can have an instant impact on not just the club but the entire city its Shearer.

Why would Shearer make sense then though, if he doesn't make sense now?

We're in the shit but fundamentally we have the players to lift us out of it. They're not great but they're better than going down. We need someone to spark things off; inspire the players, the fans, the city for a final push. Shearer (in theory) is perfect for that.

I also don't think any established manager would take us on with just eight games to go, and with the prospect of nothing beyond that. As it is, Shearer can stay in charge even if we go down.

I don't think Shearer needs to do as much to get us winning as Keegan did.  When Keegan came in we were an anti footballing travesty of a team.

:lol: And now?

We're losing games, but you can't seriously compare us now to the team when Keegan came back in.  That team found it difficult to string a single run of passes together in an entire game.  It was THE worst Footballing experience of my life watching Newcastle games at that time, not only was our confidence through the floor but we seemed to have forgotten how to play any semblance of Football.  At the moment we're lacking passion and motivation in key games, that's our problem, but we're not playing terrible Football and we're at least confident enough to have a go at teams when we're motivated enough.  All Shearer needs to do is motivate the players in the more winnable games and we'll stay up.  Not an easy task, but nothing like the task Keegan had on, all be it with a much longer time to do it.

I don't think Shearer needs to do as much to get us winning as Keegan did.  When Keegan came in we were an anti footballing travesty of a team.

We're losing games, but you can't seriously compare us now to the team when Keegan came back in.  That team found it difficult to string a single run of passes together in an entire game.  It was THE worst Footballing experience of my life watching Newcastle games at that time, now we're a shambles at times, but our Football isn't terrible.

You could have fooled me.

Not compared to back then.  Remember Derby when not only didn't we have a chance against them but we didn't even look like coming close to creating one?  Remember game after game of ping pong Football with not a single string of passes?  Even in the games where we did well (Chelsea ect) we did so by bullying them, not playing Football.  As I said we're shit at the moment, no doubt about it, mostly because nobody seems able to motivate the players in the winnable games (Hull ect).  But when the players can motivate themselves, against the big sides (Manure, Arsenal), we've played some decent stuff.

Put it this way, at the moment overall we play crap Football.  Back then we didn't even play Football, I'm not sure what it was but it wasn't Football.

Without Keegan we could well have been relegated last season. Just because it turned sour shouldn't take away from the turnaround we needed at this stage last season.

Without Keegan we could well have been relegated last season. Just because it turned sour shouldn't take away from the turnaround we needed at this stage last season.

:thup:

I wouldn't start believing in all that just yet. I don't think the timing is odd in the slightest, clearly JFK has said something about his plans to retunr (or not as the case is probably), they've just dropped into the bottom 3 and I honestly believe they've only now realised that the club is in deep danger of relegation. So they had to do something, and they have, so as much of a critic I have been of Ashley and his cohorts, my hats off to them for pulling this one off.

Guest optimistic nit

it would but i was resigned to hughton, calderwood and kinnear (alternating from kinnear to C & H when Kinnear is in hospital) until the credit crunch claimed ashley so there is hope again finally. could be exactly what we need as well, we need someone to get the players wanting to play again and who they respect, thats all we've needed imo since keegan left.

we play better football now than we did last season before keegan imo, but the results are worse. we've got a lot more talent there if we use it right. sometimes we actually like we know how to play football (manu for instance) but go and ruin it because we don't have the leadership or confidence to win games. we've got into a losing mentality and who better to combat that than shearer?

not sure thats the reason we appointed him unfortunatly. its a bit ironic that since shepheard left we've started appointing geordies or geordie icons without considering anyone else.

Guest Chubby Jason

Did someone say Llambias said we would make an announcment today? Cutting it a bit fine aren't we?

Did someone say Llambias said we would make an announcment today? Cutting it a bit fine aren't we?

did you say, someone said, llambias said ,an announcement?

chinese wispers.