Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

If Shearer doesn't get results and get them playing with heart on the pitch, and he hasn't so far imo, then I couldn't give two tits that their monitors were going mental the day he was unveiled.

That's fair enough, and that's also all he will be judged on ultimately.

It's always nice to hear that positive progress is being made away from matchdays though. In theory that progress should translate into results.

agreed.

i eqaully dont thisk we can base shearers ability on this current rabble, for the last 5, tough games (pompey aside).

he has walked into a very tough situation.

There are some managers that come in and you kind of know that they arent the right man and arent there for the long term. I think of the likes of Roeder, Sbragia, Hart (IMO).

But for me, Shearer has an air of a man who would be suited to the job for a longer period.

If Shearer doesn't get results and get them playing with heart on the pitch, and he hasn't so far imo, then I couldn't give two tits that their monitors were going mental the day he was unveiled.

That's fair enough, and that's also all he will be judged on ultimately.

It's always nice to hear that positive progress is being made away from matchdays though. In theory that progress should follow through.

Oh, I agree and Shearer has my total support, though it does seem to be the case that Taylor say's this about every manager that walks through the door.  O0

/Grumpy git mode: OFF

Regarding Taylor though, not his biggest fan but pleased as punch to see him in contention for the game. We need people to run through brick walls right now, and hopefully his example will pull the rest of the buggers with him on monday. :thup:

I know what you mean about Taylor. I remember him being particularly gushing about Keegan, when now he's effectively saying his methods weren't good enough.

Though tbf Taylor is the perfect example of why you need to deal with players on an individual basis. He could be a very decent player if he ironed out the silly rash mistakes he's been making over and over for years now.

Have been impressed with Taylor on the whole as a right back. Out wide there is more chance someone will cover for him when he has a rash moment. He isn't too bad in the opposition box either.

Taylor must sit at home thinking how he can lick the new manager's arse. The only one I cant remember him lauding is Allardyce

Well his other option is to learn how to play football and that sounds like a lot of work...

Guest Wally_McFool

Sky Sports News say the back page of the PEOPLE reports that Shearer says to Ashley... Back Me Or I'm Off.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=alan-shearer-back-me-or-i-m-off%26method=full%26objectid=21347051%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

Someone obviously believes the story that AS will only get £10 million to spend if we stop up.

It's Oliver and it is all conjecture.  It basically says that he has a (I hesitate to say lucrative) 4 yr deal to sign, but won't unless he's backed.  Then that the chances of receiving that backing are remote - based on dodgy assumptions.

They'll have started writing these stories the minute Shearer was announced as manager for 8 games.

He said at the time nothing will be decided or discussed before the end of the season & I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the case.

I'd be amazed if Shearer is throwing around ultimatums like that with our 3 most important games for almost 20 years coming up.

Shite, lazy journalism.

I know what you mean about Taylor. I remember him being particularly gushing about Keegan, when now he's effectively saying his methods weren't good enough.

Though tbf Taylor is the perfect example of why you need to deal with players on an individual basis. He could be a very decent player if he ironed out the silly rash mistakes he's been making over and over for years now.

His best form playing as centre-back was under Keegan though. So it sounds to me another case of him arse licking the management as he has done in the past.

I wonder what excuses people will use for him now he's had "individual coaching" when he comes back to being horrific in the centre.

His best form playing as centre-back was under Keegan though. So it sounds to me another case of him arse licking the management as he has done in the past.

I wonder what excuses people will use for him now he's had "individual coaching" when he comes back to being horrific in the centre.

He can only do so much with the players around him Tooj...

He can only do so much with the players around him Tooj...

:lol: That might be the one.

Even though Bassong has completely disproven that theory.

Guest fading star

They’ll probably just pick one the many excuses put forward to justify Collocini’s pathetic performances.

ST is decent player with a good attitude.

They’ll probably just pick one the many excuses put forward to justify Collocini’s pathetic performances.

Based on what exactly?

Theyll probably just pick one the many excuses put forward to justify Collocinis pathetic performances.

Based on what exactly?

i dont think nayone can argue that he is decent.

especially at rb.

I've been thoroughly impressed with what Shearer's done so far. He's tried different tactics, he's shown a willingness to drop players who don't perform, he's obviously implemented a disciplinary system that hasn't existed at the club for 6-7 years and he talks like someone who knows what he's talking about. He doesn't give excuses like Souness did when we lose. He doesn't try to sugar-coat how shit we are - a trait that the Fergie, Rafa and Mourinho seem to have. I like him, a lot.

Of course, everything will come down to results but there's no way you can really judge his managerial ability after 8 games with this squad of players. He needs time. A year, hopefully more - whichever league we're in. He's still a noob at this so he's going to get better quickly, too. Based on the little we've seen, I think Shearer will be a successful manager.

Based on what exactly?

especially at rb.

I can argue it and I will. It's always the same with Taylor fans, they can't actually name me what he's good at when he's playing at centre half.

Anyways this topic has been derailed enough.

Theyll probably just pick one the many excuses put forward to justify Collocinis pathetic performances.

Based on what exactly?

especially at rb.

I can argue it and I will. It's always the same with Taylor fans, they can't actually name me what he's good at when he's playing at centre half.

comes down to an undividuals definiton of 'decent' i guess doesnt it.

Based on what exactly?

especially at rb.

Still not mentioned what he's decent at. ;)

Ok I'll stop. :lol:

Based on what exactly?

especially at rb.

you didnt ask that, you asked what he was good at. i'm not a particular taylor fan btw, just saying i think he's an average, decent player. especially at RB.

:)

Based on what exactly?

especially at rb.

He's 'decent' at everything,  Tackling, heading etc.