Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

was considering making a thread about this so certain people could explain themselves but i'll ask in here:

WHERE THE FUCK DOES ANYONE GET OFF HAVING A CHELP AT WHAT SHEARER'S "ACHIEVED" OR "DONE" SO FAR?

i mean, honestly, were these people even paying attention when kinnear was around?  or hughton?

for some reason, the barton thread and the one about criticism of his "harsh" methods, has just dawned on me like a slap in the face...laughable, truly laughable - for a club that supposedly idolises hero's plenty of people seem to be just willing the lad to fail

madness

was considering making a thread about this so certain people could explain themselves but i'll ask in here:

WHERE THE FUCK DOES ANYONE GET OFF HAVING A CHELP AT WHAT SHEARER'S "ACHIEVED" OR "DONE" SO FAR?

i mean, honestly, were these people even paying attention when kinnear was around?  or hughton?

for some reason, the barton thread and the one about criticism of his "harsh" methods, has just dawned on me like a slap in the face...laughable, truly laughable - for a club that supposedly idolises hero's plenty of people seem to be just willing the lad to fail

madness

Was half asleep, but pretty sure when listening to the Times podcast last night Patrick Barclay said Shearer as manager is a disaster for Newcastle. A DISASTER!!!! :frantic:

/Also reiterated that Owen has been Newcastles worst ever signing also iirc.

//not sure i can argue to much with that one to be honest. :undecided:

Habib Beye calls for Alan Shearer to stay as boss

May 5 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

HABIB BEYE is hoping Alan Shearer will stay on as manager of Newcastle United next season.

The Newcastle United boss was faced with derogatory headlines this morning from the south following an alleged bust-up between Shearer and Joey Barton after the Liverpool game.

However, with Toon fans angered by Barton’s behaviour at Anfield, the Scouser is unlikely to gain any sympathy after a red card which means the talented but temperamental star misses the rest of the campaign through suspension.

Barton’s reported verbal attack on Shearer will do nothing to help Newcastle in the serious situation they find themselves in.

Kevin Keegan was the man who blocked Portsmouth’s late August bid for Barton last summer.

But Newcastle will not resist any moves for the controversial midfield man this close season, despite talk that he is keen to stay on, after his latest misdemeanour.

In the wake of Barton’s unhelpful response to his red card on Merseyside, Shearer has been backed by African ace Beye.

Today fans favourite Beye – who still believes that Big Al can keep Newcastle up – threw his weight behind Shearer and told the Chronicle: “He has passion.

“He knows the club better than anyone and, I think, for everyone it would be a good boost.

“You know when you have Alan Shearer as the manager, it is easier to attract some other players, because they will believe you have a good manager.”

As one of the most influential members of the United squad, Beye’s words are sure to make people stand up and take notice.

The experienced former Marseille captain said: “He said he’s here for eight games – I understand that.

“He’s here to keep the club in the Premier League.

“If we stay in the Premiership, and we have the opportunity to build something good, hopefully he will stay and I think we can still do it with the two home games coming up.

“I believe, if we get out of this situation, next year will be better.”

The Chronicle reported on April 10 how Shearer had implemented a series of rule changes at St James’s Park including punctuality and a revamp of approaches to injured players, meaning crocked stars must stay until late afternoon in a bid to clear the treatment room.

And visitors to the club’s Benton HQ have witnessed a dramatic transformation since Shearer took charge.

The Toon’s base was more like a millionaires health club before April 1 when Shearer was appointed with players turning up with flip flops and towels at the ready.

Yet the new regime is very much of tin hat nature and the regimented changes made by Shearer have attempted to bring the club back to the days of Sir Bobby Robson when they competed in the Champions League – days the fans have been craving ever since.

And with Shearer at the helm, Beye said he was loving the serious nature of the new management set-up headed by Big Al, Iain Dowie and medical expert Paul Ferris.

He said: “He will bring experience.

“I’m happy with what they’ve done up to now, and really believe they will keep the club in the Premier League.

“I really believe Newcastle will become what it was before, because they’ve been a big club, and you can’t believe this club is going into the Championship.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/05/beye-s-stay-on-plea-to-shearer-72703-23545029/

Guest Mcdonald36

I don't understand anyone who expected a sudden up turn in tactics and efficiency. Lets be honest, he was brought in to give everyone a morale boost, and while that does have its merits, you need a bit more to win football matches in this league, especially with a poor shambolic squad.

No one, no one can pass judgement on him yet.  Not even if there is a god coud he pass judgement"

"oh great lord, Shearer has not been any good since taking over at NUFC, he has won no games"

"Shut the fucking fuck up peter and let him build his own fucking team before judging him you little spazz"

Guest neesy111

no manager in the world could get this squad working together it's as simple as that

i can give criticism over tactics etc, but that would have hardly changed much tbh

madness

Was half asleep, but pretty sure when listening to the Times podcast last night Patrick Barclay said Shearer as manager is a disaster for Newcastle. A DISASTER!!!! :frantic:

Patrick Barclay is one of the few journalists who smugly insisted Steve McLaren was the right man for the England job before he was apppointed. Hardly a fountain of wisdom then is he?

WHERE THE f*** DOES ANYONE GET OFF HAVING A CHELP AT WHAT SHEARER'S "ACHIEVED" OR "DONE" SO FAR?

madness

Patrick Barclay is one of the few journalists who smugly insisted Steve McLaren was the right man for the England job before he was apppointed. Hardly a fountain of wisdom then is he?

More like a wountain of fisdom tbh

madness

:lol:

Todays papers seem to reckon he is enjoying it more than he thought he would and wants to keep the job even if we do go down.

Alan Shearer has enjoyed management more than he thought and will stay on as Newcastle boss even if the club are relegated. (Various)

Todays papers seem to reckon he is enjoying it more than he thought he would and wants to keep the job even if we do go down.

Alan Shearer has enjoyed management more than he thought and will stay on as Newcastle boss even if the club are relegated. (Various)

If we do get relegated, it would sugar the pill a lot for me if Shearer and Ashley stayed on. It's a combination that could really take us forward long-term. Perpetually scratching around in the lower reaches of the Premiership, as we were in Shepherd's last few seasons, doesn't strike me as a better alternative.

Guest Stephen927

I'm hoping Shearer stays on whether we are relegated or not. He's someone who the fans are very patient with, and who they trust. If Ashley had brought in a man with no connections to the club for these 8 games, the pressure would have been right on his back, but I never get the sense that the fans are pressuring Shearer, Shearer is pressuring himself for others mistakes.

Why would Ashley staying particularly sugar it for you?

Unless we're taken over by someone richer who can pump a lot of his own money in (as with Man City and Chelsea), I can't see a better alternative. The idea of a 'local consortium' headed by Shepherd fills me with horror. Apart from anything else, we really need some continuity.

The bloke has made mistakes, but I don't distrust his motives.

Why would Ashley staying particularly sugar it for you?

Unless we're taken over by someone richer who can pump a lot of his own money in (as with Man City and Chelsea), I can't see a better alternative. The idea of a 'local consortium' headed by Shepherd fills me with horror. Apart from anything else, we really need some continuity.

The bloke has made mistakes, but I don't distrust his motives.

haven't a lot of time for ashley but i have to agree with this

best thing that could happen to us is to stay up, shearer stays permanently and ashley invests 20m a season of the TV $$ into transfers for the next 5 years, see where we are after that

i too am filled with horror at a local consortium, frying pan & fire tbh

I'm hoping Shearer stays on whether we are relegated or not. He's someone who the fans are very patient with, and who they trust. If Ashley had brought in a man with no connections to the club for these 8 games, the pressure would have been right on his back, but I never get the sense that the fans are pressuring Shearer, Shearer is pressuring himself for others mistakes.

I want him to stay too.

If I'm completely honest with how I feel at the moment, if I could choose between starting in the Championship next year with Shearer on a 5 year contract, or scraping survival this year and experiencing another season like this with Joe Kinnear and Chris Hughton at the helm, I know which one I'm going for, and its not  :kinnear:

Still not convinced that Shearer is the man to take us forward, we've still not won under him remember, and there's not been that much improvement in the performances either. He seems to have brought in some discipline, which is good, but should really be a given under any manager so hardly sets him apart, and he's definitely better with the media than most of our recent managers, but that's not really good enough on it's own, is it? I'm willing to be convinced, but it's going to take more than the above and the fact that he's Alan Shearer to do that.

The one real improvement that his appointment has brought to the club is that the fans seem to have calmed down a lot and are now behaving in a slightly more rational manner and have more realistic expectations of where we are and where we can go from here. I'm not taking the piss, I'm genuinely really relieved that he's managed to bring that about as the club and the fans need to be pulling in the same direction and for a long time that's not been the case and we've been tearing each other apart. I'm glad that seems to be over, or at least coming to an end, it's about time.

Still not convinced that Shearer is the man to take us forward, we've still not won under him remember, and there's not been that much improvement in the performances either. He seems to have brought in some discipline, which is good, but should really be a given under any manager so hardly sets him apart, and he's definitely better with the media than most of our recent managers, but that's not really good enough on it's own, is it? I'm willing to be convinced, but it's going to take more than the above and the fact that he's Alan Shearer to do that.

The one real improvement that his appointment has brought to the club is that the fans seem to have calmed down a lot and are now behaving in a slightly more rational manner and have more realistic expectations of where we are and where we can go from here. I'm not taking the piss, I'm genuinely really relieved that he's managed to bring that about as the club and the fans need to be pulling in the same direction and for a long time that's not been the case and we've been tearing each other apart. I'm glad that seems to be over, or at least coming to an end, it's about time.

Whether it works out for Shearer or not, I want him to carry on for another season at least. Until he's had his go at it no one else is going to get a fair crack of the whip. We need to get the local messiah option out of our system, and given some backing I think he'll do well. There is always a chance he could turn out to be another Souness...but who's to say he won't be a Ferguson for that matter?

Id like to see Hughton,Calderwood and Kinnear totally gone.

Hughton seems to be a more than adequate coach to be fair, he clearly works very hard. He was shit as a manager but that's simply because he is not one. Can't really see what Calderwood has brough mind and obviously want Kinnear out, like.

Whether it works out for Shearer or not, I want him to carry on for another season at least. Until he's had his go at it no one else is going to get a fair crack of the whip. We need to get the local messiah option out of our system, and given some backing I think he'll do well. There is always a chance he could turn out to be another Souness...but who's to say he won't be a Ferguson for that matter?

Yeah, fair enough. If he turns out to be a good manager then great, I couldn't be more happy, because I just want us to have a good manager I really don't care who that is; Alan Shearer, or A N Other, I'm not fussed. As you say, if he doesn't work out then at least we'll have rid ourselves of the last sacred-cow novelty manager and will simply have to go out and get someone good instead.

Guest Heneage

Id like to see Hughton,Calderwood and Kinnear totally gone.

Hughton seems to be a more than adequate coach to be fair, he clearly works very hard. He was s*** as a manager but that's simply because he is not one. Can't really see what Calderwood has brough mind and obviously want Kinnear out, like.

I don't rate Hughton at all, he just seems to be a body that ambles around. I'd approach Speed if I was Shearer.