Shearer Bans Toon Players

Guest Mantis

Guest elbee909

There's not much need for binge-drinking, full-stop, but that won't stop half the boozy ivory tower brigade on here sitting on their high horses, casting the first stones while planning to go out and get rat-arsed tonight.

Well those people are not professional athletes who should be on top of their game each day.

So, professionalism is the sole preserve of the highly paid?

I'm not arguing that pro athletes shouldn't go out on the piss, btw.  Just something a bit hypocritical going on so I'm playing devil's advocate here.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/nastro/devils_advocate.jpg

If you go outside sports such as Football and Rugby, and to sports (dunno the names, but still) in the winter and summer olympics, like running and skiing, if you even have a beer you're booted off the team as you're an athlete and always need to be on top of your form.

Was saying this to me father this morning. I dont see why football should be an exception.....just because they earn much more money doesnt give them the right to f*** about.

It shouldn't, but seemingly it does.

There's not much need for binge-drinking, full-stop, but that won't stop half the boozy ivory tower brigade on here sitting on their high horses, casting the first stones while planning to go out and get rat-arsed tonight.

Well those people are not professional athletes who should be on top of their game each day.

I'm not arguing that pro athletes shouldn't go out on the piss, btw.  Just something a bit hypocritical going on so I'm playing devil's advocate here.

You can't compare the likes of us with them. I'm paid to turn up and work the hours i'm given. They're paid to keep their bodies in tip-top condition.

I don't understand.

If you go outside sports such as Football and Rugby, and to sports (dunno the names, but still) in the winter and summer olympics, like running and skiing, if you even have a beer you're booted off the team as you're an athlete and always need to be on top of your form.

Was saying this to me father this morning. I dont see why football should be an exception.....just because they earn much more money doesnt give them the right to fuck about.

Aye, the most successful Biathlon http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41118000/gif/_41118618_biathlon_416.gif athlete, Ole Einar Bjørndalen (35) has said he's not had a drink of alcohol in his life because from a young age he knew he always wanted to be successful and that a drop of alcohol would ruin his body and form.

Trying-to-say-something-incisive-and-provocative fail.

:lol:

I don't understand.

It's Homer playing a pinball game called 'Devil's Advocate'.... :razz:

Very good sign that he brought in Paul Ferris to oversee everything injury wise, maybe we'll finally start sorting that out. Alan more than anyone will want to sort injurys having so many get in the way for him.

Guest Heneage

Its difficult for me to comment on them drinking. As I don't really drink myself so I could give up quite easily. I'd imagine however there's a strong correlation between teams that don't drink and the top of the league.

The players who struggle with their weight definitely shouldn't drink.

The players could just turn around and say "look at Alan Smith, thats what you get if you don't drink" then Shearer wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It's amazing how a man who's only here for 8 games can ban players like this, and threaten to get rid of them if they don't comply.

If we had any intelligent players, they could easily just turn around and say "fuck off, you won't be here in 10 weeks" :lol:

It's amazing how a man who's only here for 8 games can ban players like this, and threaten to get rid of them if they don't comply.

If we had any intelligent players, they could easily just turn around and say "fuck off, you won't be here in 10 weeks" :lol:

Then when he does decides he wants the job and gets it they can start looking for employment elsewhere  :laugh:

Guest Heneage

The players could just turn around and say "look at Alan Smith, thats what you get if you don't drink" then Shearer wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Would he? Physically Alan Smith appears to be one of the fittest on the clubs books.

Would he? Physically Alan Smith appears to be one of the fittest on the clubs books.

He's got "energy".

:shifty:

I was joking. Is Smith that fit? He can chuck himself at players within 5 yards of him quite well but I wouldn't say he works hard enough to tell if he really has much of an engine.

Maybe he wants that. Find out who the wasters are and find out who has any heart.

Half of these pricks will have their moves in the summer already sorted.

Maybe he wants that. Find out who the wasters are and find out who has any heart.

Half of these pricks will have their moves in the summer already sorted.

:nods:

Its the best thing, having a true fan of the club getting the oppurtunity to go in and kick some people into action. I'm sure he has been seeing exactly what we have.

The drink thing seems extreme, certainly the Souness coming out.. There cant be any arguments given the situation we are in though. Had we been coasting in the mid to upper table when he came in it might seem a little harsh, but we should be pulling out all the stops right now.

I like the speak up to the new regime if you dont like it, then leave comments.

Like with bringing in Ferris, seems a bit much for 8 games (hinting at a long term stay) but I guess its what ever will get the job done.

Guest stjamestoon

From pubs and clubs in town, acording to todays papers.  About f***ing time someone got this bunch into gear. 

Yeah about time they started earning that huge wage.

I don't think the emphasis is solely on the drinking. Remember, these players can stay home or go round a mate's and still drink. The idea is to keep them from staying out for long hours, risking any kind of bad publicity. Plus, we're in a struggling position. He doesn't want them to give the supporters the impression that they dont give a fuck and are going out partying regardless.

If ANY player baulks at Shearer's socializing ban, they don't deserve to be wearing the Black & White shirt and I hope he makes it clear that they will have no future ar SJP - I don't care who they are and those who seem to think that Martins should have some sort of special treatment are living in cuckoo land ; if it comes to a choice between Alan Shearer & Martins, I think you will find that the vast majority of fans will back the manager hands down.

Incidentally, if Shearer HAS raised questions about aspects of Martins' forward play, he is quite right and he won't be afraid to put fans' noses out of joint if the player doesn't start improving those aspects of his game.....

If ANY player baulks at Shearer's socializing ban, they don't deserve to be wearing the Black & White shirt and I hope he makes it clear that they will have no future ar SJP - I don't care who they are and those who seem to think that Martins should have some sort of special treatment are living in cuckoo land ; if it comes to a choice between Alan Shearer & Martins, I think you will find that the vast majority of fans will back the manager hands down.

Incidentally, if Shearer HAS raised questions about aspects of Martins' forward play, he is quite right and he won't be afraid to put fans' noses out of joint if the player doesn't start improving those aspects of his game.....

Quite right. I imagine that Shearer has quite a bit to say to Martins about the number he wears and what it means to the club and the fans.