Stoke City 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/04/09 - Post match reaction from page 28

JH

Another word on Harper by the way, he was absolutely terrified of Stoke's aerial thread yesterday.

i've searched all over and can't find the aerial thread. maybe daves deleted it ?

Oops. :lol:

still a bit boozy and there is no way i'm rifling  though old posts to see if anyone has already said this, so:

devastated shearer picked ameobi & duff, heartbroken actually, maybe he ain't got the right stuff after all?

Picking Duff was understandable, Jonas has been noticeably more sluggish in his recent matches and Shearer will have to keep him fresh somehow.

no

it wasn't

Picking Duff was understandable, Jonas has been noticeably more sluggish in his recent matches and Shearer will have to keep him fresh somehow.

no

it wasn't

I wondered whether Shearer saw it as a game more suited for Jonas to play as an impact substitute. Somewhere in Shearer's head, he may have been worried about Jonas getting lumps getting kicked out of him to the point where he would contribute nothing to the game. Jonas would easily have been targeted as our main threat in midfield

Dont agree that we dealt with their set pieces atall until Carroll came on.

We looked reckless every single time.....cleared half of them off the line. Only Bassong stepped up as usual.

Think he waited to long to take Shola off also tbh, but its understandable.

Bringing Guti on as a sub actually worked well, he had fresh legs and the opposition were more tired so he could run with it. Prob could do same from the start tho.

He started taylor because he wanted someone who could deliver good set pieces & cross the ball in well. Taylor managed to crap it all up again. Used to be much better at crossing for wigan.....so his confidence must be out or something. I dont understand it, but it is ridiculously frustrating. Could have won yesterday if he'd been half good at delivering.

As harsh as we all are to Shola......its not his fault hes being picked. If they stopped playing him & he increased his fitness in training he MIGHT get it together a bit. Think what most ppl see as laziness is shola just being knackered far to quickly. Dont know why the hell they had him marking Faye on corners......thats their fault. But he's clearly just not good enough & reckon now hes had his last chance this season.

Nolans not fit enough obviously, was crap again.

Harper looked lost......not impressive.

Edgar fit in well, didnt look out of place atall next to Beye & Bassong.

Overall tho its hard to take very much from that game atall towards our chances of staying up this season. The obvious positive is Carroll, but its impossible to know whether he'll continue to keep stepping up the rest of the season now. He's clearly our biggest threat when the balls in the air atall & our only striker who can muscle some space for himself on his own. Showed he can strike a ball recently in the reserves aswell..so i HOPE he keeps going.

But Martins being out has ruined it. We played crap against stoke, but the system was completely changed for whatever reason & if any players could deal with that its certainly not ours. Our season will still be based on whether we can play 4-3-3 well i reckon......the performance has to completely change. Any decent side could have buried us yesterday, stoke went through with 2 players to 1 so many times and sliced it wide.

Very worrying. But like i say.....very hard to tell right now whether we have the ability to improve.....all we can possibly take from that match is 1 point rather than any real confidence in our ability. Still 60/40 that we just might not have enough this season.......but its still in our hands.

my opinions on the game have been covered by other posters - it was absolute dross but it could be an invaluable point.

A bit of a sideways look on other things... (I'll apologise to Ash4 in advance)

• what a dive of a place that is
  • £5 to essentially bump the car up on a kerb?!  fuck off!
  • what horrible people live there.  within 2 minutes of getting out the car a little shit of a kid clocks me and shouts "oi, Ant!! where's Dec?"  and the amount of pathetic taunts given to us (middle fingers, pointing downwards) as we were stuck in traffic on the way out, by little boys yet to sprout their first pube was amazing
  • the can/bottle thrown at Ryan Taylor - shocking
  • "loudest fans in the league" - only because you begin to boo should the opposition string more than 2 passes together

forgot to mention, hats off to Pulis for turning up in his best tracksuit yesterday.

the fucker looks like a man who stands outside the off-license buying booze for bairns, and every now and again nipping into the bookies to check on the 3.15 at Newton Abbot.

Hehe, he is a scruffy homeless looking bum like.

Yeah, their fans aren't the best. We had an eventful game at the Britannia early on in the season. The ref fell for the "if we get tackled and fall over it must be a foul because we're strong and stuff!" approach, and their fans are full of thick-as-shit cretins. I for one wouldn't be unhappy if they went down.

Edit: I'm not even that fussed about the Delap tactic. Yes it's effing annoying and pretty damn awful to watch, but they've spotted a skill and utilised it.

forgot to mention, hats off to Pulis for turning up in his best tracksuit yesterday.

the fucker looks like a man who stands outside the off-license buying booze for bairns, and every now and again nipping into the bookies to check on the 3.15 at Newton Abbot.

:lol:

my opinions on the game have been covered by other posters - it was absolute dross but it could be an invaluable point.

A bit of a sideways look on other things... (I'll apologise to Ash4 in advance)

• what a dive of a place that is
  • £5 to essentially bump the car up on a kerb?!  fuck off!
  • what horrible people live there.  within 2 minutes of getting out the car a little shit of a kid clocks me and shouts "oi, Ant!! where's Dec?"  and the amount of pathetic taunts given to us (middle fingers, pointing downwards) as we were stuck in traffic on the way out, by little boys yet to sprout their first pube was amazing
  • the can/bottle thrown at Ryan Taylor - shocking
  • "loudest fans in the league" - only because you begin to boo should the opposition string more than 2 passes together

I'd firstly like to say, im not the typical stoke inhabitant!

But Newcastle fans were giving our coach some shit, give and take a bit of Banter is alright!

Oh, and i dont like Stoke.

Newcastle fans were fucking crazy like!

Yeah, their fans aren't the best. We had an eventful game at the Britannia early on in the season. The ref fell for the "if we get tackled and fall over it must be a foul because we're strong and stuff!" approach, and their fans are full of thick-as-shit cretins. I for one wouldn't be unhappy if they went down.

Loudest set of fans I've seen this season.

Yeah they were loud like, when it came to being nasty abusive pricks anyway.  I heard very little support of their own team though.

Yeah they were loud like, when it came to being nasty abusive pricks anyway.  I heard very little support of their own team though.

They sang a fair few songs supporting during the game. Booing of opposition players when they have the ball was pretty intimidating and an impressive noise. I thought that both sets of fans were good throughout the game, we were as loud as fuck when we got playing for the last half hour mind. I was genuinely knackered after the goal celebrations :lol:

Guest Heneage

Yeah, their fans aren't the best. We had an eventful game at the Britannia early on in the season. The ref fell for the "if we get tackled and fall over it must be a foul because we're strong and stuff!" approach, and their fans are full of thick-as-s*** cretins. I for one wouldn't be unhappy if they went down.

They sang a fair few songs supporting during the game. Booing of opposition players when they have the ball was pretty intimidating and an impressive noise. I thought that both sets of fans were good throughout the game, we were as loud as f*** when we got playing for the last half hour mind. I was genuinely knackered after the goal celebrations :lol:

If they stay up I could see them being like Wigan with support dwindling, last year their average attendance was half filling the ground.

Yeah, their fans aren't the best. We had an eventful game at the Britannia early on in the season. The ref fell for the "if we get tackled and fall over it must be a foul because we're strong and stuff!" approach, and their fans are full of thick-as-s*** cretins. I for one wouldn't be unhappy if they went down.

They sang a fair few songs supporting during the game. Booing of opposition players when they have the ball was pretty intimidating and an impressive noise. I thought that both sets of fans were good throughout the game, we were as loud as f*** when we got playing for the last half hour mind. I was genuinely knackered after the goal celebrations :lol:

If they stay up I could see them being like Wigan with support dwindling, last year their average attendance was half filling the ground.

They were saying it was a 'record sale' yesterday, is that the first full house they've had?

Guest Heneage

They were saying it was a 'record sale' yesterday, is that the first full house they've had?

This season their attendances have been all pretty much full I believe, but last year and those previous its been shocking, all seems very bandwagon.