Stoke City 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/04/09 - Post match reaction from page 28

JH

Shola lost his marker on the goal

If it was only that though... he basically wasnt marking anyone once the corner was taken. He still, however was in an ideal position to get that ball before anyone. But the brain dead moron misjudged the flight of the ball completely.

.... ugh, it never ends :(

I have a mental image of Ashley as the Star Wars emperor rubbing his hands going "Good...good...the dark side prevails"

:) Wasn't much to smile about but that did the trick.

C'mon lads plenty of time to turn it around let's get into it.

Everything wrong is down to Nicky Butt.

Looks to punt the ball every single time despite us having five in midfield and two upfront to allow us more options for the short passes.

He is a terrible, terrible, terrible footballer.

Very short sighted.

We've no movement up front, everything in the middle is congested because we've nothing in wide areas.

Abysmal attempt at a formation today.

Butt has failed to recognise both Nolan ahead of him and Owen dropping deep to receive the ball numerous times now. Instead he's ended up punting it forward to the hapless Ameobi.

We can talk all we want about changes in formation etc, but until Nicky Butt stops launching it and starts keeping it simple we will not improve ever.

Carroll on for Ameabi.

Jonas on for Raylor.

Coloccini on for Butt in that exact same midfield role.

These three changes and we would win this game.

Unbelievable

We're only a game and a half in, I know, but Shearer has been an absolutely dreadful manager thus far.

When was the last time anyone had any sort of success in the Premiership with wing-backs? The system today is a disgrace, you've got 3 static CM's and two of the least mobile strikers in the league as your 5 forewardmost players, you really think there's any chance you'll so much as create a half chance with that setup? Nobody running the channels, Stoke's CB's have basically snoozed their way through the half.

With the same 11 players you can put out

--------------------- Harper

Beye  ------- Edgar  ------- Bassong ----------- Faylor

------- Nolan -------- Butt ------------ Guthrie

----------------------- Owen

--------- Shola  --------------------- Duff

Now I'm no fan of Duff, but one thing the guy will give you is a willingness to run into the channels and give the team some width. Actually ask a question or two of Stoke and give Owen a bit of space to work with in the middle.

Seriously worrying stuff so far from Shearer, hope he turns it around but we're not exactly blessed with much time.

harsh. but true.

trying to make the team play the wing backs system one game into your tenure during a crucial run in after no top flight team has successfully utilised that formation for 15 years is fucking crazy.

Looks to punt the ball every single time despite us having five in midfield and two upfront to allow us more options for the short passes.

He's such a fucking cunt. He's one of the main driving forces behind our potential relegation.

Guest Spark

At the end of the day Butt's played well, Shola has not, his two biggest chances, the handball and their goal, that's the difference, I'd actually have put Carroll on to score from that chance and stop Faye. Its embarrassing.

Its upsetting more because I hoped Shearer was smarter than that.

Butt's played well? Are you being serious? What has he done well?

Very short sighted.

We've no movement up front, everything in the middle is congested because we've nothing in wide areas.

Abysmal attempt at a formation today.

Agree with this, except I don't think we have an attempt at formation.

I have a mental image of Ashley as the Star Wars emperor rubbing his hands going "Good...good...the dark side prevails"

:) Wasn't much to smile about but that did the trick.

C'mon lads plenty of time to turn it around let's get into it.

Hope you're right but it's hard to summon up any optimism after watching that.

I'm not even all that bothered about losing this game, the really disturbing thing is that the "Shearer Factor" seems to be zero for our players.

The players are STILL playing with the same nonexistent spirit and desire they did under Houghton.

As everyone says, shola must be fcking amazing in training.

But they have to give up on him now.

I think fairly clearly they went with shola today for his physical presence to defend set pieces... lesson learned by all I spose. Not to worry though, it'll just make the comeback all the better.

Guest neesy111

I'm not even all that bothered about losing this game, the really disturbing thing is that the "Shearer Factor" seems to be zero for our players.

The players are STILL playing with the same nonexistent spirit and desire they did under Houghton.

tbf, they showed more with hughton, played well v man utd and arsenal

Owen runs much much much more under Shearer than Hughton. Not that it matters since there's nobody around feeding him the balls he need.