Joey Barton

JJ7

Has he not just proven that he can't be trusted to keep his head, at all? If it wasn't Liverpool then it's pretty likely it would have been in some other, more important match. :undecided:

Not really no.  Players get sent off & suspended all of the time.

I've not looked it up, but I don't recall his onfield disciplinary record being particularly bad tbh.

What he did was no worse than what Nolan did against Everton & I know which of the two I'd rather lose in the summer.

I like Barton as a player far better than Nolan, but if he's not on the pitch (which is 90% of the time at Newcastle) I can't be arsed defending him. I realise you have a soft spot and have been backing him in virtually every misadventure he's been involved in since he's been here but that's your choice.

Nolan isn't the one with massive self-inflicted pressure on him to behave himself, on or off the pitch. Shearer put faith in him to be sensible and he wasn't.

FWIW Barton's been booked regularly throughout his career and sent off four times.

Whatever you think of the decision itself, were you particularly surprised when he got himself sent off lunging in on for no discernable reason on an opponent that was at that time no danger to us whatsoever? I wasn't.

I'll say it again, players get sent off all of the time.  4 red cards isn't excessive at all IMO for a midfielder.

It was a poor tackle, not as bad as Smith's attempt though.

I wasn't surprised because tbh I think in part he has been the victim of a witch hunt this year, the initial cause of it self inflicted obviously.  The Arsenal game, the Villa game, the Sunderland game, every time he gets in his car.........  It was a stupid tackle, but not worthy of the red card, or the "never play for the club again" bollocks that's been spouted on here since.

Nolan isn't the one with massive self-inflicted pressure on him to behave himself, on or off the pitch. Shearer put faith in him to be sensible and he wasn't.

FWIW Barton's been booked regularly throughout his career and sent off four times.

Whatever you think of the decision itself, were you particularly surprised when he got himself sent off lunging in on for no discernable reason on an opponent that was at that time no danger to us whatsoever? I wasn't.

And none of us would be surprised if, given the chance, he let's us down again in the future. There comes a time when someone has to say enough is enough, he's had his last chance, and I think Shearer's that man.

I think the 'never play for the club again' stuff comes from the fact we now can't use our best midfielder when we need him most. Harsh decision or not, that's his fault.

In reality he'll probably not play for us again anyway because we may well go down with the likes of Butt and Nolan in there. :(

Has he not just proven that he can't be trusted to keep his head, at all? If it wasn't Liverpool then it's pretty likely it would have been in some other, more important match. :undecided:

I've not looked it up, but I don't recall his onfield disciplinary record being particularly bad tbh.

What he did was no worse than what Nolan did against Everton & I know which of the two I'd rather lose in the summer.

I like Barton as a player far better than Nolan, but if he's not on the pitch (which is 90% of the time at Newcastle) I can't be arsed defending him. I realise you have a soft spot and have been backing him in virtually every misadventure he's been involved in since he's been here but that's your choice.

I don't have a soft spot for him, as a human being he's a cunt.  However as a player I'd be disappointed to lose him more than any of our other central midfielders. 

I'll say it again, players get sent off all of the time.  4 red cards isn't excessive at all IMO for a midfielder.

I wasn't surprised because tbh I think in part he has been the victim of a witch hunt this year, the initial cause of it self inflicted obviously.  The Arsenal game, the Villa game, the Sunderland game, every time he gets in his car.........  It was a stupid tackle, but not worthy of the red card, or the "never play for the club again" bollocks that's been spouted on here since.

Your ignoring Barton's other misdemeanours on the training ground and when on the piss. The guy's got a screw loose, and we're better off without him.

Your ignoring Barton's other misdemeanours on the training ground and when on the piss. The guy's got a screw loose, and we're better off without him.

I think it's fair to say we probably aren't "better off without him"

His value as a player is more than any prospective transfer fee as well.

I'm not ignoring anything.  I'm discussing him as  a football player.

Incidentally, does he still go out on the piss? ???

His value as a football player will only be realised of he's actually out on the pitch playing football. What we have to weigh up is the chances of him playing enough games in a season to make the expense worthwhile. It goes without saying that he's been a massive failure in this regard, and City previously washed their hands of him after giving him umpteen chances. I am pretty convinced he's always going to be a  liability, but I wouldn't want to give him away after paying his wages to be a spectator for two seasons. If we get a good offer bomb him out, otherwise play his contract out in the off chance he strings a few games together next season.

Guest Mantis

I don't have a soft spot for him, as a human being he's a c***.  However as a player I'd be disappointed to lose him more than any of our other central midfielders. 

It is all ifs and buts because he has played so little this season.  He clearly has a screw loose but if he could get fit I would prefer him over any of the other midfielders at the club.  Whether he is capable of ever keeping the agression under control is debatable, but i'd rather have him fit and sent off a couple of times a season than watch players who rival Pistone for lack of heart, like Colo and Owen.

He claims he hasn't had a drop of alcohol since boxing day 2007.

Guest toonlass

The problem with Barton is that he has the ability to be man of the match and showed it plenty of times at Citeh. The problem is that he is a stupid young man, who has not just been in bother once but seems to invite trouble by his stupid actions. Therefore he attracts more attention from the refs and is less likely to get leniency from them. If he could keep himself out of bother and concentrate on the football then we would have a decent midfielder. As it is we have a liability.

Guest Phil K

Fair point. Agree.

Makes a pleasant change from the number quoting the BBC, though.

That said, Nolans been as much use as Barton AFTER the sending off

Well, having used the power of youtube I think the tackle was nowhere near as bad as I first thought. He didn't go in two footed and he won the ball with his left foot before he took Alonso down with his right foot - which was bent as he went into the tackle.

Definitely a hard challenge but fuck me there's been worse with less consequences.

Shearer should appeal.

Obviously can't post the vid.

It was a fair tackle, he won the ball fair and square and it was only his trailing leg as he slid in that caught Alonso. Was never even a free kick never mind a sending off which is exactly what Barton was telling Carragher as he walked off.

Guest Mcdonald36

It was a fair tackle, he won the ball fair and square and it was only his trailing leg as he slid in that caught Alonso. Was never even a free kick never mind a sending off which is exactly what Barton was telling Carragher as he walked off.

:dowie:

Well, having used the power of youtube I think the tackle was nowhere near as bad as I first thought. He didn't go in two footed and he won the ball with his left foot before he took Alonso down with his right foot - which was bent as he went into the tackle.

Definitely a hard challenge but fuck me there's been worse with less consequences.

Shearer should appeal.

Obviously can't post the vid.

I've seen the tackle numerous times and IMO it was dangerous at best, and probably reckless and again imo it deserved a straight red card.

Shearer won't waste his time appealing and is instead ensuring that we don't have to pay the idiot at least 2 weeks wages and putting him on the market.

he didn't "win" the ball at all. he touched it before finding his INTENDED TARGET the player which is why he got sent off.

Whatever anyone thinks of the tackle, or his being in prison, or his attack on the Man City teammate or whether he is a decent midfielder or not, the fact is he is a liability and no longer a valuable asset. He will be picked out by referees, other fans, Sky and MOTD as Joey Barton, dangerous psychopath, whether he is or not. He takes too much attention from the team as a whole. Shearer has obviously binned him and we just have to get on with the fact we are a player down for the last three games. Perhaps Allardyce might buy him for Blackburn.

His agent Willie McKay said: “Even if Newcastle do get relegated, Joey would want to stay on and play his part in making sure they bounced straight back into the Premier League.

“It’s ridiculous to claim Joey has played his last game for Newcastle as he has three years left on his contract and wants to honour that commitment.

“He has had a frustrating time because of his foot injury and this was his first game back so he’s naturally very disappointed his season has been brought to an end when Newcastle need him.

“He gave everything he had for the Newcastle team at Anfield and has every intention of doing so in the future.”

His agent Willie McKay said: “Even if Newcastle do get relegated, Joey would want to stay on and play his part in making sure they bounced straight back into the Premier League.

“It’s ridiculous to claim Joey has played his last game for Newcastle as he has three years left on his contract and wants to honour that commitment.

“He has had a frustrating time because of his foot injury and this was his first game back so he’s naturally very disappointed his season has been brought to an end when Newcastle need him.

“He gave everything he had for the Newcastle team at Anfield and has every intention of doing so in the future.”

well he would say that, wouldn't he.

I wish the other players showed the passion Barton does. 

If he stays next season then I will be a lot happier.

There's a difference between passion and off your fucking head!

It was frustration which I can understand.

Anyway if he had won the ball then it would of been a great challange.  I wouldn't say it was intentional.

If it was anyone else nothing would be said now - people just cant get over what hes done in the past.  It doesnt bother me at all to be honest