Joey Barton

JJ7

If it was anyone else it wouldn't have been a straight red.

Even if that were true (which I doubt), the only person to blame for his reputation is him. In which case he's even fucking thicker for making the 'tackle'.

It's conjecture obviously, but you think Gerrard or Scholes would have gone for that?

Even if that were true (which I doubt), the only person to blame for his reputation is him. In which case he's even fucking thicker for making the 'tackle'.

It's conjecture obviously, but you think Gerrard or Scholes would have gone for that?

I don't see why not.

Just because he's got a reputation doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to go for tackles anymore.  Did you see Alonso on that stretcher?  You'd have thought he was lying on a sunbed in spain, not supposedly in a lot of pain recovering from the challenge. 

Barton deserves the same treatment as anyone else on the pitch, regardless of what he's done in the past.  You see players like Gerrard go in like that all the time and getting praised for their commitment. 

I think Shearer's post match comments about it where rash and ott, shouldn't have hung him out to dry like that.

I don't see why not.

If we could post videos without getting the site into trouble I could show you loads of examples of why not.  Gerrard must have ten unpunished tackles like that to his name at least in his career.

However, he shouldn't have done it, but equally shouldn't have been sent off for it anyway IMO.

Just because he's got a reputation doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to go for tackles anymore.  Did you see Alonso on that stretcher?  You'd have thought he was lying on a sunbed in spain, not supposedly in a lot of pain recovering from the challenge. 

Barton deserves the same treatment as anyone else on the pitch, regardless of what he's done in the past.  You see players like Gerrard go in like that all the time and getting praised for their commitment. 

I think Shearer's post match comments about it where rash and ott, shouldn't have hung him out to dry like that.

I'll say it again. Alonso knew what he was doing.  When the stretcher got to the dugout he climbed off it and walked to his seat.

Wrong. Shearer has put his faith in Barton and he's let the club down, for about the fourth time. He's finished here, the cunt should have his contract rammed in his eye and get that City kid down to burn it into ashes with a cigar.

Just got back from the game, not seen the replay yet, but i do think some refs look at players like Barton & think red straight away, rather than taking 60 seconds to speak to the linesman & think about things!

Same as Bowyer when he was here, his reputation precedes him.  Whilst his card today was probably a straight red he gets yellow cards for offences that for most other players would earn a talking to at best.

If he was earning a pittance it could be overlooked but he's earning a fortune here in addition to his transfer fee and "loyalty" payment.

Just because he's got a reputation doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to go for tackles anymore. Did you see Alonso on that stretcher? You'd have thought he was lying on a sunbed in spain, not supposedly in a lot of pain recovering from the challenge.

Barton deserves the same treatment as anyone else on the pitch, regardless of what he's done in the past. You see players like Gerrard go in like that all the time and getting praised for their commitment.

Alonso's reaction makes no difference, and neither do the tackles others have put in in the past. It was a ridiculous challenge from Barton and got what it deserved. No doubt he was told to control himself and he fucking didn't.

Shearer called it perfectly IMO, he's fully entitled to be fucked off considering probably our best midfielder is now unavailable for the rest of the season.

Alonso's reaction makes no difference, and neither do the tackles others have put in in the past. It was a ridiculous challenge from Barton and got what it deserved. No doubt he was told to control himself and he fucking didn't.

Shearer called it perfectly IMO, he's fully entitled to be fucked off considering probably our best midfielder is now unavailable for the rest of the season.

:thup:

Btw I don't know what the craic is with this paranoia; it's the same with the whining about the first goal being an inch offside.

We were fucking battered today with or without the officials, their decisions made no difference to the result. Barton deserved to be sent off for his absolute lack of any kind of brains anyway. As someone said elsewhere, I actually prefer him fucking up today than in a game where it actually means something.

Btw I don't know what the craic is with this paranoia; it's the same with the whining about the first goal being an inch offside.

We were fucking battered today with or without the officials, their decisions made no difference to the result. Barton deserved to be sent off for his absolute lack of any kind of brains. As someone said elsewhere, I actually prefer him fucking up today than in a game where it actually means something.

Deserved to lose absolutely. The frustration with Barton being sent off (shouldn't have been a red imo, doesn't detract from the sheer fucking idiocy of the challenge though) is nothing to do with today, and entirely to do with the next three games. My frustrations with the legitimacy of the first two goals is just that, frustration. Didn't affect the outcome, it's just a salt in the wound thing.

We were fucking battered today with or without the officials, their decisions made no difference to the result. Barton deserved to be sent off for his absolute lack of any kind of brains. As someone said elsewhere, I actually prefer him fucking up today than in a game where it actually means something.

Deserved to lose absolutely. The frustration with Barton being sent off (shouldn't have been a red imo, doesn't detract from the sheer fucking idiocy of the challenge though) is nothing to do with today, and entirely to do with the next three games. My frustrations with the legitimacy of the first two goals is just that, frustration. Didn't affect the outcome, it's just a salt in the wound thing.

Shown today just how thick he is though, in case we'd forgotten. If he'd got away with that today, would he have learnt his lesson for the much more important upcoming games? I have my doubts, and whilst we could 'afford' to lose a man when already down and out at Anfield, we certainly can't afford it at 1-1 against Middlesbrough.

We were fucking battered today with or without the officials, their decisions made no difference to the result. Barton deserved to be sent off for his absolute lack of any kind of brains anyway. As someone said elsewhere, I actually prefer him fucking up today than in a game where it actually means something.

Absolute bollocks, nothing like the same.

We deserved to get beat today, the possibilty of the offside goal made little difference to that.  However the tackle was no where near as bad has been made out, however daft it was.

And the second bit in bold is even worse.  Since when has not being very bright deserved a red card?

Eh? I wasn't saying he deserved to go just for being a thick lad. I'm saying him being thick as fuck made him lunge in like that in the first place, when it wasn't needed at all.

If it wasn't that bad I'll expect us to appeal the decision, right?

It's just a bit of a continuation really isn't it?  We've had a pretty raw deal from officials at times this season (as well as being completely shite for most of it), but while you can make a list longer than your arm of decisions that have gone against us, I can only really think of the penalty against Sunderland and Emmerson Boyce being sent off for Wigan as decisions that have gone our way this season.

Definite red card though.  The same referee sent off Gerrard in a Merseyside derby at Anfield a few years ago so I'm not having any "Gerrard wouldn't have gone" stuff either.

Shown today just how thick he is though, in case we'd forgotten. If he'd got away with that today, would he have learnt his lesson for the much more important upcoming games? I have my doubts, and whilst we could 'afford' to lose a man when already down and out at Anfield, we certainly can't afford it at 1-1 against Middlesbrough.

Possibly right. I think Shearer would have given him the mother of all bollockings if he had got a yellow tbh. No saying whether it would have made any difference, I'd like to think it might have done. Irrelevant now :(

It's just a bit of a continuation really isn't it?  We've had a pretty raw deal from officials at times this season (as well as being completely shite for most of it), but while you can make a list longer than your arm of decisions that have gone against us, I can only really think of the penalty against Sunderland and Emmerson Boyce being sent off for Wigan as decisions that have gone our way this season.

Definite red card though.  The same referee sent off Gerrard in a Merseyside derby at Anfield a few years ago so I'm not having any "Gerrard wouldn't have gone" stuff either.

We've had the shit end of the stick but that's what tends to happen to the crap sides. Usually because the ball's always in their fucking box. :lol:

:(

Shearer has spent long enough on the sofa on MOTD to know what any good manager what have done.  If he felt he needed to have a go at Barton he should have done it in the privacy of the dressing room, not condemned him in a post match interview.

Things like that make other peoples minds up for them, the last thing someone like Barton needs.  Now he's public enemy number 1 again just for making a commited tackle defintely not worthy of a straight red.

Maybe the tackle wasn't necessary, but you can't take away natural passion and aggression like he has.  See Rooney.

Eh? I wasn't saying he deserved to go just for being a thick lad. I'm saying him being thick as fuck made him lunge in like that in the first place, when it wasn't needed at all.

If it wasn't that bad I'll expect us to appeal the decision, right?

Barton deserved to be sent off for his absolute lack of any kind of brains anyway.

:dontknow:

Amazing.  It's what you said, pretty much word for word.

:dontknow:

I don't expect we'll appeal the decision, no.  Shearer has pretty much ruled that out as you well know. 

He was daft to make the challenge, but IMO it wasn't a red card challenge.  You won't change my mind on that.

The chances of it being over ruled are pretty much non existent, given his previous.  It just seems though that "not being that sort of player" is a valid excuse for some players but having been in bother before is used as a stick to beat you with.