Joey Barton

JJ7

To stretch the point, it was not as bad or indeed as cowardly as this “challenge” by a certain former Newcastle forward on Neil Lennon during a match against Leicester City in April 1998. It is not the greatest footage of the incident, but you get the gist of it. Imagine the outcry if Barton or, for example, El-Hadji Diouf did something like this. Shearer? He got off scot-free, with an FA disciplinary commission reaching the hilarious conclusion that the then England captain was making “a genuine attempt to free himself” after his leg was “trapped” by Lennon."

A very fair point made i believe.

But a certain sense of context is needed here. It was not as dangerous as Alan Smith’s wild challenge on Alvaro Arbeloa in the 62nd minute, for which the midfield player (I really feel awkward calling him that) was shown a yellow card. It was not as violent as challenges for which two other Newcastle midfield players, Danny Guthrie and Kevin Nolan, have been sent off this season. It was not as violent as a wild tackle for which Wilson Palacios, the Tottenham Hotspur midfield player, escaped even a yellow card at Manchester United eight days earlier.

To stretch the point, it was not as bad or indeed as cowardly as this “challenge” by a certain former Newcastle forward on Neil Lennon during a match against Leicester City in April 1998. It is not the greatest footage of the incident, but you get the gist of it. Imagine the outcry if Barton or, for example, El-Hadji Diouf did something like this. Shearer? He got off scot-free, with an FA disciplinary commission reaching the hilarious conclusion that the then England captain was making “a genuine attempt to free himself” after his leg was “trapped” by Lennon.

Key bits right there. Merely because it's Barton. Guthrie broke the Fagans leg for christs sake and it was intentional, not to break his leg but the wild tackle.

ALAN SHEARER had a massive dressing-room bust-up with Joey Barton after Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat at Liverpool.

Shearer was steaming at the bad-boy midfielder for getting sent off for an ugly late lunge at Reds rival Xabi Alonso.

But as the Toon boss tore into the £5.8m player, telling him he had let himself and the club down, Barton replied: “You’re a s*** manager with s*** tactics.”

The pair went head to head and had to be pulled apart just as they were about to come to blows.

A Newcastle insider said: “It was unbelievable. They were like two stags.

“Shearer told Barton he had made a mistake putting him back in the team, that he thought Barton was good enough to do it but he had shown he wasn’t.

“Joey shouted at Alan that he was the best player at the club, which was why he had to play him.

“Alan said he wasn’t, called him s*** and Joey replied that he was a s*** manager with s*** tactics.

“At that point, it looked like they were going to have a full-scale brawl and had to be dragged apart.

“Shearer was really angry, not just because of the stupid red card but because it means Barton will be missing for the last three Premier League games when Newcastle need everyone available.

“Alan gave Joey the big build-up during the week, saying what an important player he could be in Newcastle’s fight against relegation, and then he does that.

“You wonder what goes on in Joey’s head.”

Shearer has vowed to fine Barton two weeks’ wages of around £120,000 and has washed his hands of the midfield hot-head.

After the game Shearer said: “Barton wasn’t unlucky to be sent off, it was the right decision.

“We will be without him for the rest of the season and I’m not happy at all.

“He has let me down, definitely, and the same goes for the whole club and himself. From a disciplinary point of view, I will do whatever I can.”

Have we not established that he hasn't been banned because of the tackle but more for whatever has gone on afterwards?

For the record, whichever way you look at it, it was an awful tackle.

It's not been confirmed but it's pretty damn obvious if you ask me. Stupid tackle, even more stupid reaction in the dressing room.

Guest Mcdonald36

Have we not established that he hasn't been banned because of the tackle but more for whatever has gone on afterwards?

You mean the Sun established it?

Joey, i've defended you over and over. But you are a complete and utter idiot. If the quotes are true, you deserve every fine and every bit of backlash. For being "the most misunderstood" footballer, you do yourself no favors. Idiot. Goodbye, I wish I never defended you publicly or on these boards in the past. What a waste, f**k off.

I don't even believe the date in the Sun. It's a rag for morons. I think he's been suspended for the sending off alone, which is overly harsh, imo.

We should have suspended the rest of them for being shite.

It is in most papers now including The Chronicle.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/05/newcastle-united-suspend-midfielder-joey-barton-72703-23545249/

Newcastle United suspend midfielder Joey Barton

May 5 2009 by Lee Ryder

JOEY Barton's career at Newcastle United is as good as over after Alan Shearer banned the controversial midfielder from the club following his disgraceful behaviour at Anfield.

The Chronicle revealed last night that United’s patience had finally snapped with Barton following the storm that erupted in the pitiful 3-0 loss at Liverpool.

Barton has now been suspended until further notice and told to stay away from the black and white's Benton HQ while the rest of his team-mates fight to keep the Magpies in the Premier League.

The last thing Shearer needs in his camp at the moment is negativity and the player who is banned for three games can only be deemed as a disruptive character during this crucial time for the Mags.

But even when this sad season is over Barton will be slapped on to the transfer list and told he is no longer wanted at Newcastle and even though the Toon are unlikely to get back the £5.8m they paid Manchester City for him in May 2007, they will be desperate to get the £64,000 a week player off the wage bill.

The Scouse bad boy was sent off for a horrendous tackle on Xabi Alonso but followed up the costly dismissal with crazed rant at Shearer after Big Al had confessed in the dressing room he'd let him down and the fans, Barton’s arrogant riposte was that the Magpies had no choice but to play him against the Kop side because he was "the best player at the club."

This led to a verbal exchange between he and Shearer and after Barton told the Toon boss he was a "**** manager", he automatically triggered his Toon exit.

Barton trudged out of Anfield after his red card shame and turned down the chance to apologise in the Chronicle to the 3,000 travelling fans he’d let down on Merseyside but for many it would have been a case of the boy who cried wolf after a serious of misdemeanours before and during his time on Tyneside.

The Chronicle are pathetic like.

I agree that the Barton tackle wasn't as bad as Smith's two footed lunge. The problem is, Barton has a lot of baggage. He knows he won't get treated fairly by the media. All the more reason not to do a stupid, pointless challenge. Another reason to get rid of him. All he brings us is bad press. It may not be 'fair' on Barton but he's had plenty of chances. Anyway, all we know for sure is he is suspended for two weeks. He isn't definitely getting shipped out. He was going to miss the last three games anyway. Having him at the training ground doesn't help us. He could play on the opposition training team but he could accidentally injure someone who can play in the last 3 games.

But just suppose that Barton is on the way to cleaning up his act and that his moment of madness (in reality more like stupidity) on Sunday was merely a momentary relapse on his quest for self-improvement. Not a popular view, I realise, but at least some kind of perspective might not go amiss here.

Love that bit. "a momentary relapse on his quest for self-improvement"? It was his first game in ages and he gets sent off in it!

Barton trudged out of Anfield after his red card shame and turned down the chance to apologise in the Chronicle to the 3,000 travelling fans he’d let down on Merseyside but for many it would have been a case of the boy who cried wolf after a serious of misdemeanours before and during his time on Tyneside.

The Chronicle are pathetic like.

That is just...... Christ. :blush:

Not going to defend Barton getting sent of but I wouldn't have minded one little bit if he felt the urge to lamp that twofaced wormy journo.

But just suppose that Barton is on the way to cleaning up his act and that his moment of madness (in reality more like stupidity) on Sunday was merely a momentary relapse on his quest for self-improvement. Not a popular view, I realise, but at least some kind of perspective might not go amiss here.

How about Oliver Kay stumps up Barton's wages between this incident and his next inevitable incident?  After all it might have just been a momentary relapse.  Surely he's willing to take that risk? No?

How many players and managers have come out in Barton's defence?  Who the hell is going to take the risk on having Barton in their team, he's a walking PR disaster.  If he has any sense he'll fuck off to play for a team in Russia or the Middle East where he can try to prove himself without the British press attention.

As a club we can't win. Alot of the media and other fans were calling for a morale call from Newcastle and sack him after the court case stuff. Now we take the morale high ground the manager condemns the player for being a dickhead on the pitch yet we are still in the wrong.

As for the Times article, just because Shearer kicked Lennon and got away with it he can't criticise anyone else for bad challenges no more?

As a club we can't win. Alot of the media and other fans were calling for a morale call from Newcastle and sack him after the court case stuff. Now we take the morale high ground the manager condemns the player for being a dickhead on the pitch yet we are still in the wrong.

As for the Times article, just because Shearer kicked Lennon and got away with it he can't criticise anyone else for bad challenges no more?

Did he nowt man. Lennon headbutted his boot.

Barton's response to Shearer that he was 'the best player at the club' is a pointer to the underlying problem. FWIW, I'd agree with that opinion, but he'd have a much bigger incentive to change his ways if was an ordinary player who had to scratch around for a living. Deep down, Barton knows that he'll always get second chances, if necessary at another club, because managers will always want to take the risk on a player with his talent.

As a fan, I'll admit that has influenced my judgement of him in the past. Despite his record, I've been eager to see him back in the team. I now feel that there's an arrogance about him which is a big obstacle to him changing. Sadly, it's time to call it a day.

Just on the comparison to Smith's lunge - Smudger clean missed his opponent, and if there had been any real contact then he would certainly have been sent off.

Yes, Smith's challenge was worse, but that's like saying which is worse out of cancer or AIDS.

And as for Barton's intent, as far as I'm concerned the ball was there to be won - the fact that he barely touched the ball while collecting the man tell me plain as day that his intent was to vent frustration/mete out vengeance. It was unforgiveable, reprehensible violence.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Joey. Thanks for the memories (alas, mostly on the front pages rather than the back...)

Guest guinness_fiend

Just on the comparison to Smith's lunge - Smudger clean missed his opponent, and if there had been any real contact then he would certainly have been sent off.

Yes, Smith's challenge was worse, but that's like saying which is worse out of cancer or AIDS.

And as for Barton's intent, as far as I'm concerned the ball was there to be won - the fact that he barely touched the ball while collecting the man tell me plain as day that his intent was to vent frustration/mete out vengeance. It was unforgiveable, reprehensible violence.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Joey. Thanks for the memories (alas, mostly on the front pages rather than the back...)

AIDS surely.  There is the possibility of recovering from most types of cancer.

I think the "challenge" just confirmed, incase there was any lingering doubt, that Barton is infact a psycho. Why would anyone sign him now though? He's on big wages and has more baggage than terminal 5.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/05/joey-barton-an-apology.html

May 05, 2009

Joey Barton: an apology

George Caulkin

In the past, this newspaper, along with many others, may have inadvertently given the impression that Joey Barton should be granted a second chance. Subsequently, we may have acquiesced in the process of allowing him a third, fourth and fifth chance. Unfortunately, memory fails us and we can no longer remember which number of chances Mr Barton has now reached. But we apologise, unreservedly.

Furthermore, The Times has previously used quotes in which - to borrow from the Bumper Book of Football Cliches - Mr Barton has “opened his heart” or “bared his soul” regarding his latest indiscretion and we have printed them, albeit in good faith. If we’re being brutally honest, we’ll do it again, because that’s how this business works but, again, we apologise. The truth is that, to a certain degree, we fell for it.

Speaking of chances, we’re enamoured with the Sporting Chance clinic, the facility dedicated to helping sportsmen and women deal with addiction, which was founded by Tony Adams, the former England captain, and is run with dignity by Peter Kay (not that one). We have publicised their work with Barton and the work he has put back into it, because we think it has merit. Should we apologise for that?

We apologise for listening to a long list of managers at Newcastle United (five at the last count, although it may have changed by the time you read this), babble enthusiastically about Barton’s changed “character”. We held our noses and wrote the story, half convincing ourselves that all these football men must know something we don’t. That there must be more to it than self-interest.

We believe in humanity and we believe in redemption and we believe that there are different shades of right and wrong - in spite of Newcastle’s colours, not every issue is black and white - but we have always believed that the most self-destructive club in the country should never have signed it’s most self-destructive footballer. Never mind Barton, how many chances do Newcastle want?

We do not apologise for feeling nauseous at the way Newcastle has been utterly mismanaged. Even now, we marvel when we consider the arrogance of successive regimes - a club that has provoked such a widespread collection of corrosive headlines believing it is the appropriate home for Barton. And even last summer, when Barton was imprisoned and Newcastle perched warily on the moral high ground, they botched their attempts to tie him to a contract on reduced terms and then dismiss him.

Nor do we apologise for standing squarely alongside Alan Shearer in his attempts to impose some order on a club bereft of leadership. We support his decision to suspend Barton until further notice. We do so because after a lifetime of watching Newcastle and a decade of watching Shearer, we know what he has done for the club. We know that his instincts are sound, that his motivation cannot be questioned. We know that behind the scenes he is laying down a structure and discipline and the most amazing thing about it is not what is being done, but that it needs to be at all. We will accept his mistakes, because they will be honest ones. We will forgive him his inexperience as a manager, because he is one of us.

We do not apologise for thinking it is reasonable for professional footballers to report for training on time. To eat together. To spend extra hours on the training pitch or on the treatment table when injured, if it can help their cause against relegation. We do not care one jot if some Newcastle players - the same underachievers and vanity signings who have participated in the club’s demise - do not like it. If fact, we like it if they don’t like it. We believe that Shearer must be given the tools to do the job full-time and long-term, although we do not believe that Mike Ashley can be relied upon to take the correct decision.

Cards on the table time. We love Newcastle, just as we love Sunderland and Middlesbrough. And, no, that isn’t a cop out - we’re ferociously proud of the north east, a region often treated with disdain by the rest of the country, that has battled through economic deprivation to reinvent itself and now finds itself battling through deprivation again. We love the people, the geography, the passion.

We love the rhythms of Tyneside, the bustle of the city and the fact that its football club infiltrates every aspect of its life. We feel the history pressing in on us; we toast the achievements and reputations of men like Jackie Milburn, Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby Robson and Shearer and shake our heads. We wonder how long supporters will continue to fill the stands, at St James‘ Park and also at the Stadium of Light and the Riverside Stadium, in the face of so much engrained disillusion. We love football, but we hate it, too.

We apologise if this column appears to wallow in misery; it doesn’t, but what else is there? We apologise for looking ahead to next Monday night’s fixture between Newcastle and Middlesbrough and feeling sick at the prospect. We apologise if the mixture of sarcasm and anger on this page, confuses or jars. We apologise if it feels as though there is no theme. Week upon week, there is only one: this has been an apology of a season.

May 05, 2009

George Caulkin

In the past, this newspaper, along with many others, may have inadvertently given the impression that Joey Barton should be granted a second chance. Subsequently, we may have acquiesced in the process of allowing him a third, fourth and fifth chance. Unfortunately, memory fails us and we can no longer remember which number of chances Mr Barton has now reached. But we apologise, unreservedly.

Furthermore, The Times has previously used quotes in which - to borrow from the Bumper Book of Football Cliches - Mr Barton has opened his heart or bared his soul regarding his latest indiscretion and we have printed them, albeit in good faith. If were being brutally honest, well do it again, because thats how this business works but, again, we apologise. The truth is that, to a certain degree, we fell for it.

Speaking of chances, were enamoured with the Sporting Chance clinic, the facility dedicated to helping sportsmen and women deal with addiction, which was founded by Tony Adams, the former England captain, and is run with dignity by Peter Kay (not that one). We have publicised their work with Barton and the work he has put back into it, because we think it has merit. Should we apologise for that?

We apologise for listening to a long list of managers at Newcastle United (five at the last count, although it may have changed by the time you read this), babble enthusiastically about Bartons changed character. We held our noses and wrote the story, half convincing ourselves that all these football men must know something we dont. That there must be more to it than self-interest.

We believe in humanity and we believe in redemption and we believe that there are different shades of right and wrong - in spite of Newcastles colours, not every issue is black and white - but we have always believed that the most self-destructive club in the country should never have signed its most self-destructive footballer. Never mind Barton, how many chances do Newcastle want?

We do not apologise for feeling nauseous at the way Newcastle has been utterly mismanaged. Even now, we marvel when we consider the arrogance of successive regimes - a club that has provoked such a widespread collection of corrosive headlines believing it is the appropriate home for Barton. And even last summer, when Barton was imprisoned and Newcastle perched warily on the moral high ground, they botched their attempts to tie him to a contract on reduced terms and then dismiss him.

Nor do we apologise for standing squarely alongside Alan Shearer in his attempts to impose some order on a club bereft of leadership. We support his decision to suspend Barton until further notice. We do so because after a lifetime of watching Newcastle and a decade of watching Shearer, we know what he has done for the club. We know that his instincts are sound, that his motivation cannot be questioned. We know that behind the scenes he is laying down a structure and discipline and the most amazing thing about it is not what is being done, but that it needs to be at all. We will accept his mistakes, because they will be honest ones. We will forgive him his inexperience as a manager, because he is one of us.

We do not apologise for thinking it is reasonable for professional footballers to report for training on time. To eat together. To spend extra hours on the training pitch or on the treatment table when injured, if it can help their cause against relegation. We do not care one jot if some Newcastle players - the same underachievers and vanity signings who have participated in the clubs demise - do not like it. If fact, we like it if they dont like it. We believe that Shearer must be given the tools to do the job full-time and long-term, although we do not believe that Mike Ashley can be relied upon to take the correct decision.

Cards on the table time. We love Newcastle, just as we love Sunderland and Middlesbrough. And, no, that isnt a cop out - were ferociously proud of the north east, a region often treated with disdain by the rest of the country, that has battled through economic deprivation to reinvent itself and now finds itself battling through deprivation again. We love the people, the geography, the passion.

We love the rhythms of Tyneside, the bustle of the city and the fact that its football club infiltrates every aspect of its life. We feel the history pressing in on us; we toast the achievements and reputations of men like Jackie Milburn, Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby Robson and Shearer and shake our heads. We wonder how long supporters will continue to fill the stands, at St James Park and also at the Stadium of Light and the Riverside Stadium, in the face of so much engrained disillusion. We love football, but we hate it, too.

We apologise if this column appears to wallow in misery; it doesnt, but what else is there? We apologise for looking ahead to next Monday nights fixture between Newcastle and Middlesbrough and feeling sick at the prospect. We apologise if the mixture of sarcasm and anger on this page, confuses or jars. We apologise if it feels as though there is no theme. Week upon week, there is only one: this has been an apology of a season.

Quite simply superb.

Seems to me Barton has challenged Shearer's authority and refused to back down. If that's the case and Shearer wants to get rid I back him 100%. Barton has taken plenty for two years and given nothing back. Fuck off if you think we owe you anything more you charv twat.

May 05, 2009

George Caulkin

Furthermore, The Times has previously used quotes in which - to borrow from the Bumper Book of Football Cliches - Mr Barton has “opened his heart” or “bared his soul” regarding his latest indiscretion and we have printed them, albeit in good faith. If we’re being brutally honest, we’ll do it again, because that’s how this business works but, again, we apologise. The truth is that, to a certain degree, we fell for it.

Speaking of chances, we’re enamoured with the Sporting Chance clinic, the facility dedicated to helping sportsmen and women deal with addiction, which was founded by Tony Adams, the former England captain, and is run with dignity by Peter Kay (not that one). We have publicised their work with Barton and the work he has put back into it, because we think it has merit. Should we apologise for that?

We apologise for listening to a long list of managers at Newcastle United (five at the last count, although it may have changed by the time you read this), babble enthusiastically about Barton’s changed “character”. We held our noses and wrote the story, half convincing ourselves that all these football men must know something we don’t. That there must be more to it than self-interest.

We believe in humanity and we believe in redemption and we believe that there are different shades of right and wrong - in spite of Newcastle’s colours, not every issue is black and white - but we have always believed that the most self-destructive club in the country should never have signed it’s most self-destructive footballer. Never mind Barton, how many chances do Newcastle want?

We do not apologise for thinking it is reasonable for professional footballers to report for training on time. To eat together. To spend extra hours on the training pitch or on the treatment table when injured, if it can help their cause against relegation. We do not care one jot if some Newcastle players - the same underachievers and vanity signings who have participated in the club’s demise - do not like it. If fact, we like it if they don’t like it. We believe that Shearer must be given the tools to do the job full-time and long-term, although we do not believe that Mike Ashley can be relied upon to take the correct decision.

Cards on the table time. We love Newcastle, just as we love Sunderland and Middlesbrough. And, no, that isn’t a cop out - we’re ferociously proud of the north east, a region often treated with disdain by the rest of the country, that has battled through economic deprivation to reinvent itself and now finds itself battling through deprivation again. We love the people, the geography, the passion.

We love the rhythms of Tyneside, the bustle of the city and the fact that its football club infiltrates every aspect of its life. We feel the history pressing in on us; we toast the achievements and reputations of men like Jackie Milburn, Kevin Keegan, Sir Bobby Robson and Shearer and shake our heads. We wonder how long supporters will continue to fill the stands, at St James‘ Park and also at the Stadium of Light and the Riverside Stadium, in the face of so much engrained disillusion. We love football, but we hate it, too.

We apologise if this column appears to wallow in misery; it doesn’t, but what else is there? We apologise for looking ahead to next Monday night’s fixture between Newcastle and Middlesbrough and feeling sick at the prospect. We apologise if the mixture of sarcasm and anger on this page, confuses or jars. We apologise if it feels as though there is no theme. Week upon week, there is only one: this has been an apology of a season.

:clap: top post George Caulkin. top post.