Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Newcastle - 19/04/08 - post match reaction from page 25

Dave

Well that was wasn't the best of days out, firstly my train was delayed then found out the whole of the Victoria line is out today. (:rolleyes:) so had to fucking leg it to Liverpool Street and get the slowest train in the fucking world to WHL meaning I missed the first 10 mins. Then to top it off I had to endure the Nicky Butt & Ryan Taylor fuck up show for 80 mins. Get on the train home and find out I've lost my phone somewhere along the way. Good fucking times. :thup:

Harper - 4 - Blehh.

Ryan Taylor - 2 - This guy's a footballer? LOL.

Bassong - 6 - OK.

Beye - 5 - Meh.

Duff - 3 - Crap

Nolan - 3 - Wank.

Butt - 2 -   :rant: should be renamed :butt:

Jonas - 6 - Tried.

Smith - 6 - Decent actually.

Owen - 4 - Anonymous.

Carroll - 5 - Battled.

Viduka - 5 - Sticky.

Oba - 5 - You've got to score that.

One of the worst performances I've ever seen, toothless isn't the word. The midfield is a walking tragedy.

Oh yeah, Steve Taylor - 5 -  :dontknow:

Have to agree with that.

We should all stop kidding ourselves and start preparing for the championship next season.  We will win 1 game against the boro and that's it.

Oh and hopefully someone can smash Ashley's face in when they see him, if ever.

Don't you know that negativity is extremely contagious!

But looking at your sig you're obviously prone to wild mood swings so I'll forgive you. ;D

Went to the match n have a few thoughts.

Just seems to be an air of resignation around the place, very strange atmosphere.

The subs all made a difference for the better, Smith spread the play well, and Viduka and Martins looked "in sync" (?). Owen looked ok when he dropped deep, some good touches but just isn't the threat he once was, even at times for us. the 4-3-3 worked a lot better.

Ryan Taylor, speechless at how bad he was today. Nolan is just absent. Butt gave the ball away so much.

There just seems to be no communication at all, quite a few times they just left the ball for each other and we lost possesion. People seem to just switch off as well n just not realise Alan hutton is in acres of space on the right. Just no urgency in any of our play, such a slow tempo.

Not that it would change that much right now but Beye should be Captain, he was shouting all game and looking right pissed off when things weren't going our way or if the ref made a s*** decision. All I seen from Owen was him through his hands up in the air all the time and get pushed off the ball like he was a little boy. The Spuds were there for the taking  in the 2nd half Martins and Viduka showed that, just a pity we have missed them for most of the season.

It's good to be positive in this situation but the bit in bold has to be a piss take! Spurs never got out of 2nd gear to make us look like a non league side.

Thats what I mean, Spurs did fuck all they were there for the taking IMO. Martins and Viduka showed this. The fact that Spurs didn't move out of 2nd gear kinda helps the point I was trying to make.

Well that was wasn't the best of days out, firstly my train was delayed then found out the whole of the Victoria line is out today. (:rolleyes:) so had to fucking leg it to Liverpool Street and get the slowest train in the fucking world to WHL meaning I missed the first 10 mins. Then to top it off I had to endure the Nicky Butt & Ryan Taylor fuck up show for 80 mins. Get on the train home and find out I've lost my phone somewhere along the way. Good fucking times. :thup:

Harper - 4 - Blehh.

Ryan Taylor - 2 - This guy's a footballer? LOL.

Bassong - 6 - OK.

Beye - 5 - Meh.

Duff - 3 - Crap

Nolan - 3 - Wank.

Butt - 2 -   :rant: should be renamed :butt:

Jonas - 6 - Tried.

Smith - 6 - Decent actually.

Owen - 4 - Anonymous.

Carroll - 5 - Battled.

Viduka - 5 - Sticky.

Oba - 5 - You've got to score that.

One of the worst performances I've ever seen, toothless isn't the word. The midfield is a walking tragedy.

Oh yeah, Steve Taylor - 5 -  :dontknow:

Have to agree with that.

We should all stop kidding ourselves and start preparing for the championship next season.  We will win 1 game against the boro and that's it.

Oh and hopefully someone can smash Ashley's face in when they see him, if ever.

Don't you know that negativity is extremely contagious!

But looking at your sig you're obviously prone to wild mood swings so I'll forgive you. ;D

Ahhh the bait was laid and you didn't succumb.

If we get 3 wins and a draw I see Hull and Boro going down tbh, but for some strange reason apathy has set in.

Not that it would change that much right now but Beye should be Captain, he was shouting all game and looking right pissed off when things weren't going our way or if the ref made a s*** decision. All I seen from Owen was him through his hands up in the air all the time and get pushed off the ball like he was a little boy. The Spuds were there for the taking  in the 2nd half Martins and Viduka showed that, just a pity we have missed them for most of the season.

It's good to be positive in this situation but the bit in bold has to be a piss take! Spurs never got out of 2nd gear to make us look like a non league side.

Thats what I mean, Spurs did fuck all they were there for the taking IMO. Martins and Viduka showed this. The fact that Spurs didn't move out of 2nd gear kinda helps the point I was trying to make.

The point about "having gears" is that Spurs could have upped their game if they had felt anywhere near threatened by us. I don't think that means "they were there for the taking". But keep the positive vibes going, we need them.

I am kinda knocking my own point now with all this gears stuff but I am not so sure how much Spurs could have lifted it had we equalised. The crowd had gone flat only lifted when Defoe came on.

Either way I think we were shite for most of the game I am not positive for the rest of the season. Not that I like agreeing with Andy Gray but he said people are on about us winning our 3 remaining home games when we have only won 4 home all season..

Guest NorwegianMag

Is it me, or do Ryan Taylor look really depressed? Well I knew he was an average player when he first came here, but fkn hell! Looks like he can't deal with the pressure at all. Some of the worst signings for a long time.

Is it me, or do Ryan Taylor look really depressed? Well I knew he was an average player when he first came here, but fkn hell! Looks like he can't deal with the pressure at all. Some of the worst signings for a long time.

I think it's jist the way his face looks. :lol: Seems like he's sad all the time.

I thought Viduka was immense after coming on, they couldn't get the ball away from him no matter what they tried. What a difference it makes having someone up front who can actually hold up the ball.

Positives

- Shearer isn't scared to change things, Martins and Viduka were on after 61 minutes and we went (more-or-less) 4-3-3. How many times has Kinnear/Hughton waited till the 84th minute before making a change?

That's for sure! When was the last time we had made all subs at 61minute? That's not an optimal situation of course considering possible injuries/sent offs but clearly we tried to change the course of the game which can't be said about his predecessors.

Still hell of lot to learn(espcially how to instruct players as individuals) but already a few good things to be seen. No way I'm thinking Big Al will keep us up but if and when we go down he should defo stay...if it's Kinnear back in the summer I'll stop supporting this club right away!

Jonas MOM although he seemed to fade away in the 2nd half but that's kinda understandable when he's doing all the hard work for the team by himself while our so called more experienced players are doing their best to give away the ball!

Positives

- Shearer isn't scared to change things, Martins and Viduka were on after 61 minutes and we went (more-or-less) 4-3-3. How many times has Kinnear/Hughton waited till the 84th minute before making a change?

That's for sure! When was the last time we had made all subs at 61minute? That's not an optimal situation of course considering possible injuries/sent offs but clearly we tried to change the course of the game which can't be said about his predecessors.

The frustrating thing is why can't he get it right the first time?

I've no doubt as soon as Enrique is fit we will ditch this 3 at the back shite, it's purely a stop gap so we don't have to put anyone out of position at full back. However we've had Duff, Bassong and Taylor there in the past 2 matches, so it's sort of backfired.

Once Enrique is back, I expect 4-3-3. The only question is who the 3 in midfield are. The advantage with Geremi was his crosses in the box gave Owen something to arrive late onto, now he can arrive as late as he wants there's no service at all. Jonas can run all day but his crossing is poor, Butt is useless but almost guaranteed to start and then you've got Guthrie, Smith, Barton, Geremi himself, Nolan and Duff. I'd pick Barton once he's (match) fit but otherwise I'm really not sure.

If people cant see by now that Martins is a bigger threat then Owen then....... well people surely do anyway sadly

Owen has to be played in midfield from now on. We'll go down with him up front, pretty sure of that. In terms of our options:

Partner him with Viduka and we'll have no pace, penetration, or running power up front. Bread and butter for Premiership defences, who'll push up at will, safe in the knowledge that noone is going to get in behind them.

Partner him with Martins and we'll have noone who can hold a ball up against big, strong Premiership defenders. Owen is a weakling and Martins' touch and reading of his teammates' intentions when playing with his back to goal is usually poor.

Really, really must play in midfield, and it looks like Shearer knows this, so here's hoping.

Guest GAMMELL

Watching NUFC play is like visiting an aunt in hospital who is dying of cancer.

You want to spend as much time as possible with her, and you hope against all logic that she might pull through, but you just know your watching her die and there's nothing you or anyone can do to change that very likely outcome.  Your just sitting there politely chatting, mentally deciding what you are going to say at the funeral.

I think you have summed up our horrendous situation perfectly here, its f*cking soul destroying, A terminal illness we can do f*ck all to illeviate (if thats a f*cking word)

Another can luv ta before I put my bastart fist thru the screen  :weep: :weep: :weep:

If people cant see by now that Martins is a bigger threat then Owen then....... well people surely do anyway sadly

I don't think Owen got on the end of a single chance today, whereas Martins got on the end of three or four in the half hour he was on.

When Owen plays up front with a target man, our strategy seems to be to play the ball long in the hope that Owen gets on the end of flick-ons. It's Seventies football and it can't work any more. Owen doesn't play well as a withdrawn striker in a 4-4-2, so if he has to play the best idea is to have him in that free role in a 4-3-1-2 that was tried last season.

It's not the way I'd go, because we don't have Barton back yet. But I think it's what we're in for next week.

Alan Smith did well today, first time I've been pleased that he plays for us. Maybe it's just that Butt's inability to do even the simple stuff, makes Alan look amazing when he actually passes to another black and white shirt.

Guest Brummiemag

Just got back from this game (via several beers in Brum). Not read all the thread but we were pathetic today, it could easily have been 3 or 4 goals to nil.

We have to improve for those 3 home games or we are fucked simple as that.

Just got back from this game (via several beers in Brum). Not read all the thread but we were pathetic today, it could easily have been 3 or 4 goals to nil.

We have to improve for those 3 home games or we are f***ed simple as that.

you've been drinking all day. alcohol will often cloud the judgement, it's quite possible you're just over reacting with the drink.

but you're right.

I don't think Owen got on the end of a single chance today, whereas Martins got on the end of three or four in the half hour he was on.

When Owen plays up front with a target man, our strategy seems to be to play the ball long in the hope that Owen gets on the end of flick-ons. It's Seventies football and it can't work any more. Owen doesn't play well as a withdrawn striker in a 4-4-2, so if he has to play the best idea is to have him in that free role in a 4-3-1-2 that was tried last season.

It's not the way I'd go, because we don't have Barton back yet. But I think it's what we're in for next week.

To be fair to Owen, Carroll was very poor today and the step up was just too much for him, and the same old story with the crap midfield. Owen is still one of our best footballers and there's no one I'd want a half chance falling to with our Premiership status on the line.

And if we're relying on Barton we really are fucked. Do you think he's going to walk back into the team and find his best form immediately?!