Sir Bobby Robson Trophy - England 3 - 2 Germany

Dave

I like Bobby Robson, always have done, his achievements in European football stand out against pretty much all other English managers (in terms of achieving things with European clubs, rather than in European football with an English club, that makes him pretty much unique)

But I've often been curious about seeing him described here as a Geordie legend and the strength of his link with NUFC.

I always assume that's meant in the sense of a legend from your parts, rather than an NUFC legend, given that his connection with the club was 4 or 5 years as manager. Is this right?

Not being from your area, I always associate him overwhelmingly with Ipswich as a manager (and then Albion and Fulham as a player).

A bit of both tbh. The Robson years were fantastic. Champions league football, challenging for the league it was great. The 5 years he was in charge was nothing short of fantastic. We would have been relegated in the season he took over without him, he rejuvinated Shearer and turned this club around. Add that the fact that he's Newcastle through and through, one of footballs finest gentleman and what he's achieved throughout his life and there you have it.

I like Bobby Robson, always have done, his achievements in European football stand out against pretty much all other English managers (in terms of achieving things with European clubs, rather than in European football with an English club, that makes him pretty much unique)

But I've often been curious about seeing him described here as a Geordie legend and the strength of his link with NUFC.

I always assume that's meant in the sense of a legend from your parts, rather than an NUFC legend, given that his connection with the club was 4 or 5 years as manager. Is this right?

Not being from your area, I always associate him overwhelmingly with Ipswich as a manager (and then Albion and Fulham as a player).

Geordie, lifelong fan and ex-manager.

What's to discuss?

I just got back.

As already mentioned, very sad to see Sir Bobby in that way but the whole event had good vibrations.

I had a fun time like, we got a canny good mexican wave going at one point that lasted a few laps.

Des Walker was amazing. It was also class seeing Pedro & Beresford in action.

were you one of the 5 lads in the milburn that were getting all the waves going? ????

Guest firetotheworks

Its also quite largely the man, not the achievements.

I just got back.

As already mentioned, very sad to see Sir Bobby in that way but the whole event had good vibrations.

I had a fun time like, we got a canny good mexican wave going at one point that lasted a few laps.

were you one of the 5 lads in the milburn that were getting all the waves going? ????

haha, nah. I meant 'We' as in everyone in St James', those guys were really putting in the effort though! One guy practically did a lap trying to get it going.

props.

I went today, and I have to say their is not a person in football that I respect more then Sir Bobby. I must also say that in my own feeling, today was not just a charity event, but it was him saying good bye, him going off out of the public eye for how ever long he has left, him saying thankyou and giving us a bit of joy aswell, but also, typically him, giving something back, helping unfortunate people.

I say back to him, thankyou Sir Bobby, not just giving everything to our club and turning it around, but for all of football, alll of the players who you have helped get back on track, get the best out of, turn the carrers around, all the people who you have met and made an impression on, and all of those in your final legacy by saving their lives from cancer, not now, but long after you have gone aswell.

Thank you Sir Boby, and enjoy your time left in private, and in comfort with your friends and family.

God bless sir Bobby,

Fuck everyone else tonight was about 1 man, a legend (fuck all who beg to differ) BOBBY ROBSON.

He loves the toon, the toon loves him!

Oh & fuck the Mackems....    the cunts :snod:

I just got back.

haha, nah. I meant 'We' as in everyone in St James', those guys were really putting in the effort though! One guy practically did a lap trying to get it going.

props.

Seen him running along the Leazes end like.  ;D

i know he'll not read this but we love you sir bobby  :smitten:

a true gentleman, and a credit to the north east, and to football.

glad there was a good turn out tonight, fantastic atmosphere too :)

ps - we should add thommo to the playing staff nevermind the coaching, at least he can take a set piece/cross/ pass over 10 yards

A bit of both tbh. The Robson years were fantastic. Champions league football, challenging for the league it was great. The 5 years he was in charge was nothing short of fantastic. We would have been relegated in the season he took over without him, he rejuvinated Shearer and turned this club around. Add that the fact that he's Newcastle through and through, one of footballs finest gentleman and what he's achieved throughout his life and there you have it.

5 years of managing Newcastle equates to about 10/15 managing any other team. The rate we've been going over the last few years he's the marathon man.

It's sad to see him in pain, but Sir Bobby Robson has lived a very long, proud and dignified life. If his time is almost up then so be it; we all have to go sometime.  It's a true testament to the man the way he's acted and fundraised since being informed his cancer was terminal and last night was a fantastic way to say goodbye.

Thanks for all the memories Sir Bobby; not just from Newcastle fans, but from fans of football the world around. May there be many more like you.

I'm sorry he's in pain as well, but like others have said it didn't depress me to see him like that. We all face death sometime, and all we can ask is that it's with a smile on our faces after a life we can be proud to look back on.

What Sir Bobby has achieved in his life is fantastic, and he clearly has the love of thousands of people... can't ask for much more than that IMO.

Guest toonlass

What a game. When they brought Sir Bob out in the wheelchair I cried. The atmosphere though was fabulous. Tiny little kids (2 and 3 years old) shouting "Shearer, Shearer", the mexican waves (bloody executive box weren't that clued up as to how to keep them going like), the streaker was funny as fuck especially as none of the stewards looked remotely interested in covering him up and the football match went on around him, the Gazza kicked his boxers  :mackems:. Shearer's penalty, seeing Sir Les at SJP again, Jorge Albertz (sorry I know he's German but he is one of my Ranger's heroes), the night was fantastic.

Oh and the new away shirt looks canny on as long as you are under 3 feet 6, any taller than that and it just looks stupid.

What a game. When they brought Sir Bob out in the wheelchair I cried. The atmosphere though was fabulous. Tiny little kids (2 and 3 years old) shouting "Shearer, Shearer", the mexican waves (bloody executive box weren't that clued up as to how to keep them going like), the streaker was funny as f*** especially as none of the stewards looked remotely interested in covering him up and the football match went on around him, the Gazza kicked his boxers  :mackems:. Shearer's penalty, seeing Sir Les at SJP again, Jorge Albertz (sorry I know he's German but he is one of my Ranger's heroes), the night was fantastic.

Oh and the new away shirt looks canny on as long as you are under 3 feet 6, any taller than that and it just looks stupid.

aye, i liked jorge albertz, remembering him having a hell of a shot on him. with that 'zidane bit' he's got going on at the back of his head, he looked from a distance like a taller nicky 'midfield collossus' butt  :snod: