Jermain Defoe's Brother Killed In London

geordieglory

By MIKE SULLIVAN

and ANDY CRICK

Published: Today

THE brother of England soccer star Jermain Defoe died last night after being beaten up in the street.

Jade Defoe, 26, suffered a fractured skull and massive brain damage in the attack.

He had been on a life support machine in hospital.

Tottenham’s £15million striker Jermain and the rest of his family were said to be devastated following his death.

A police source said: “We fully expect this to be a murder inquiry.”

The young father — also known by his middle name Gavin — was attacked near Leytonstone High Road in East London on Monday afternoon.

Detectives are still trying to establish a motive for the assault, and it is not known how many attackers there were.

Jade was taken to Whipps Cross Hospital and later transferred to the National Hospital for Neurology in central London.

A man of 28 was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

He was freed on bail but re-arrested yesterday over the attack itself.

Jermain, also 26, and Jade had the same father, crack addict Jimmy Defoe. He has three other sons, all by different mothers, but the half-brothers are said to be close.

Jade was well-known on the urban music scene as a grime MC — a genre combining garage, dance and hip hop.

A source said he used the stage name Esco Bars, adding: “He had been doing it for quite a long time, since the grime movement started in 2003.

“He was well-connected — a lot of people knew him. I heard that he and Jermain were close to each other.”

Pals and fans flooded a tribute group set up on Facebook called R.I.P GAVIN DEFOE AKA ESCO AKA ESCO BARS.

Symone Allen wrote: “Gav, you been on my mind and in my prayers all week bro. Hope you’re in a better place, painless and free. RIP xxxxx”

Perry May said: “Man, can’t believe it, an absolute legend. R.I.P”

A post mortem was scheduled to take place at East Ham mortuary this morning.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2396038.ece

Defoe's not one of ours, but some pretty horrible news nonetheless.  :(

Guest kingdawson

As i've said on another forum, he was a friend of a friend. Known about him for 2 or more years, and i never once knew he was Jermain's brother. He never mentioned Jermain neither in person, or in interviews. He was actually a very talented mc, and was very very popular in East London.

Sad news, made all the more worse by the polemic journalism of the Sun.

Haven't seen a thread/mention of it anywhere else, but came across this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8017816.stm

Another example of the media and the personal lives of footballers getting tangled. Not Frank Lampard's biggest fan, but...

I think there is a thread in chat but I must admit thats the first time I have listened to it and all I can say i fucking good on you Frank. Idiots like that Dj think they can just say what ever the hell they like and get away with it.

Top man Frank Lampard  :thup:

Guest Phil K

What a ******** lovely country the Labour party and the politically correct defenders of street vermin have created....deepest sympathies to Defoe and his family.

As for the "crack addict" thing - perhaps they were trying to hint it was a drug influenced killing.

all I can say i f***ing good on you Frank. Idiots like that Dj think they can just say what ever the hell they like and get away with it.

Top man Frank Lampard  :thup:

I don't like Lampard - a prime example of footballer greed. But I applaud what he did there, though.

I thought the crack addict thing was to show how far the kids have come. Both of them came from absolutely nothing, and made incredible successes of themselves. One a top level footballer and the other highly regarded in the music scene. It's a shame that his life has been taken in this way. I have also lost people close to me due to this kind of senseless violence. No one should have to that way imo. Condolences to the family and may the young man's soul rest in peace.

Guest Ebolarama

The crack addict bit was perfectly valid for inclusion.

The frothing apoplexy that comes roaring to the surface on this forum whenever the press gets mentioned is tiresome.

I thought the crack addict thing was to show how far the kids have come. Both of them came from absolutely nothing, and made incredible successes of themselves. One a top level footballer and the other highly regarded in the music scene. It's a shame that his life has been taken in this way. I have also lost people close to me due to this kind of senseless violence. No one should have to that way imo. Condolences to the family and may the young man's soul rest in peace.

The crack addict comment in my opinion is unfair and down to very poor journalism.

BUT

When you put it like that it like how you have mentioned I agree with you, it does show how far they have both came but equally, it's from The Sun so really I think it wasn't intended in this way.