Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

Harper

Beye      Taylor      Bassong      Duff

Jonas      Butt      Guthrie      Lovenkrands

Viduka      Owen

Based on apparent fitness/suspension issues and Shearer's latest quotes, that's my guess for tonight. Smith is struggling, Martins' groin is playing up, Enrique is out and Taylor seems likely to recover.

SUBS: Krul, Edgar, Coloccini, Geremi, Nolan, Carroll, Martins.

Tough one to guess really, but that's my best effort.

Gutted Martins is out. Quite scared now. Really need the midfield to push and support the front two.

Harper

Viduka      Owen

Based on apparent fitness/suspension issues and Shearer's latest quotes, that's my guess for tonight. Smith is struggling, Martins' groin is playing up, Enrique is out and Taylor seems likely to recover.

Gutted Martins is out. Quite scared now. Really need the midfield to push and support the front two.

Hmm, not that bothered, he was shit last games.

He might have enough to be on the bench or something, I'm not sure he's been completely ruled out. He's been utter pants recently anyway, but is playing with an injury after all.

But if I was a defender Id take static Viduka and Owen over Randomfemi every time

I wouldn't. Oba can't control a ball and is plain stupid so a smart defender wouldn't have that much trouble handling him.

Harper

Beye      Collocini      Bassong      Taylor

Jonas        Butt        Guthrie        Duff

Viduka      Owen

I think Collocini can play this one, with Taylor filling in at LB, allowing Duff back into midfield, he at least looks like he cares recently. Boro have only scored one header all season apparently, and Downing hasn't scored all season.

So I'm going for 1-1, with a late equaliser from a Downing header.  :-[

I agree. I think it's important we have Duff in the midfield as he has shown a bit of flair and passion, he even took a SHOT against pompey.

Harper

Viduka      Owen

The two wide players would be a worry for me. Neither of them provide much of a supply line, and Loven has looked awful on the wing. The only alternative seems to be playing either Geremi or Ryan taylor on the right. Or play 4-2-4 and just hoof the ball long.

Harper

Beye      Collocini      Bassong      Taylor

Jonas        Butt        Guthrie        Duff

Viduka      Owen

I think Collocini can play this one, with Taylor filling in at LB, allowing Duff back into midfield, he at least looks like he cares recently. Boro have only scored one header all season apparently, and Downing hasn't scored all season.

So I'm going for 1-1, with a late equaliser from a Downing header.  :-[

I agree. I think it's important we have Duff in the midfield as he has shown a bit of flair and passion, he even took a SHOT against pompey.

If  :colo: plays we're fucked. He doesn't know what offside means. With him in our team we shouldn't try this:

<Please don't post football clips.>

Lovenkrands is desperate on the wing, really don't see why he wouldn't just stick him in Oba's position in the 4-3-3 and let them at it?

That would be my preferred option like, interesting to see what he tries! I reckon Lovenkrands could do a nice job in that Oba role, but as you say he's hardly a winger.

Then you're getting into the territory of Nolan coming in for Jonas in the middle as well, unfortunately.

The team you suggest would be my favoured one too.

I am shitting a brick here about tonight tbh.  The thought that if we dont win means we will be in the championshit next season has suddenly hit me in the face like a Tyson uppercut this morning.

I am hitting the bottle hard already.

On paper Boro aren't a bad side. If you asked me at the start of the season if a team containing Huth, Tuncay, Aliadiere, Alves, Downing, Wheater and Hoyte were going to be relegated, I'd have disagreed. Just goes to show what a shit job Southgate has done.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/

Bassong: We must put our bodies on the line May 11 2009

* Michael Owen set to replace Obafemi Martins

* Lee Clark nervous about Middlesbrough game

* Steven Taylor calls on fans to intimidate Boro

* Alan Shearer: We know how big this match is

* Damien Duff wants to keep great escape alive

Lovenkrands is desperate on the wing, really don't see why he wouldn't just stick him in Oba's position in the 4-3-3 and let them at it?

That would be my preferred option like, interesting to see what he tries! I reckon Lovenkrands could do a nice job in that Oba role, but as you say he's hardly a winger.

Then you're getting into the territory of Nolan coming in for Jonas in the middle as well, unfortunately.

The team you suggest would be my favoured one too.

I think with Butt and Guthrie in the CM then you need someone with legs in there beside them.

Jonas can't cross for shit so maybe the best thing for him would to be used as the box-to-box player, with Butt playing the holding role and Guthrie getting on the ball as much as possible.

It's not like Jonas isn't physical enough to play in the middle either, hopefully Shearer will agree.

Harper

Beye  Taylor  Bassong  Duff

Guthrie  Butt  Jonas

Owen  Viduka  Lovenkrands

My big fear is that the club will work hard, miss some easy chances again, go into a shell and draw 0-0.  If the club can find net early, they'll gain confidence, win 3-0 and carry momentum into the Fulham match.

That's because of another apparent injury setback, with Obafemi Martins  understood to have made himself unavailable for selection due to ongoing groin problems.

:angry:

That's because of another apparent injury setback, with Obafemi Martins  understood to have made himself unavailable for selection due to ongoing groin problems.

:angry:

Just get some bloody ralgex on your groin and get your arse on the pitch you lazy bastard.  I bet his groins aren't too painful to stop him dancing in a nightclub.

He's looked shit full stop for a while now.

The problem is that for however much he doesn't use his pace properly etc etc, his mere presence worries defenders. Without him the threat is almost non-existant.

Fuck's sake.