Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

We'll win 3-1. Early goal by MO and 2-0 in the first half by Dukes. Boro will come out all guns blazing in the second half scoring during the first 10-15 mins and then we'll get the third against the run of play. Probably through Carroll.

No worries!

I have not got a clue what the fuck is going to happen tonight. Something in the back of my head keeps saying we're going to lose but then beat Fulham and Villa to survive. Would rather not go down that route though.

Team i'd put out:

Harper

Beye - Taylor - Bassong - Enrique (if in any way fit) / Duff

Geremi - Butt - Guthrie - Jonas

Owen - Viduka

Going on the proviso that Martins isn't fit, in which case i'd have Geremi solely to whip in free kicks for Owen.

had a awful dream last night, we lost 1-0 to a Guthrie own goal

Nicely jinxed. Good man. :pow:

;D  Yeah it will never happen now...

I am excited for some reason, I know that will all change into complete horror at some point today though.

sometime between 8pm and 9.50 id guess

I had  dream last night that we won 4-0, Duff scored twice, Viduka scored and the other was an own goal.

Lets hope I'm some kind of medium.

any idea when was the last time we won by 4 clear goals? infact when did we last win?

I had  dream last night that we won 4-0, Duff scored twice, Viduka scored and the other was an own goal.

Lets hope I'm some kind of medium.

any idea when was the last time we won by 4 clear goals? infact when did we last win?

Olympiakos at home 2004/2005 and West Brom february...  :weep:

Guest toonlass

I shouldn't work from home on a match-day. I get fuck all done. Anyway, I am going to be positive, go for a win 3-1 to us with Owen scoring two (god knows why) and Lovelypants scoring the last one. Theirs will come off Tuncay's arse.

At work tonight just got the radio to keep me going and im so nervous now ,how many chances do we get to get out of the bottom 3 and if we lose we dont deserve do be in the division cos its a case of who wants to stay up more and tonight will show you .

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun//tm_headline=it-s-now-or-never-for-newcastle-united%26method=full%26objectid=23589951%26page=2%26siteid=61634-name_page.html

It's now or never for Newcastle United

May 11 2009

by Mark Douglas, The Journal

ALAN Shearer has urged his Newcastle United side to seize the initiative handed to them by Hull’s weekend failure as he prepares to send a team out to attack Middlesbrough in a game he ranks bigger than any he has been involved in.

Hull’s 2-0 home defeat against Stoke on Saturday ramped up the stakes ahead of tonight’s Tyne-Tees derby, offering an unlikely escape route from the relegation places if either team wins. However, taking it will be easier said than done.

United have won just four games at St James’s Park all season and Shearer is winless in five as manager.

Indeed United have won just once in 2009 – against bottom of the league West Brom, who themselves moved to the same points total as Newcastle thanks to their weekend win.

The facts don’t make for pleasant reading but Shearer has urged his team to forget their previous problems and be positive in front of a near sell-out crowd. He will send out a side containing Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka for a match that he rates as more important than any of the games he competed in for club or country.

With experience of World Cups and European Championships for England that is quite a boast – and a clear indication of the importance Shearer is attaching to the match.

“This is as important and as big as it will be without a shadow of a doubt,” he said. “I’d go so far as to say it’s the biggest of my career. This is the biggest game without a doubt. It is bigger than Euro ‘96.” Shearer and assistant boss Iain Dowie have been working on formation and personnel since Wednesday, and the United boss has given a clear indication that he is ready to reprise the three-pronged attack that failed to spark victory against Portsmouth a fortnight ago.

While neither Viduka, Owen nor Martins scored in that game, United did create more chances and Shearer believes the experiment did work. That means a return for Owen, who has emerged as a a target for both Celtic and Everton, as the striker looks to end a goal drought lasting ten matches.

The three will play in front of a midfield that is set to include Danny Guthrie, who replaces the injured Alan Smith, and Steven Taylor, who will oust Fabricio Coloccini from the side.

“There’s a few things we can do but I’ve got a team in my head that I think will get us three points,” Shearer said.

“You could say that we didn’t score but you also look and think we created three good chances for each one of them so on another night you’d expect one of those chances to go in. So from that point of view I felt it worked.

“When you go in with that particular system what you lack is width. You need your full-backs to provide that width. Now whether we go in with that on Monday I couldn’t tell you that, but that’s what you do lack with three up front is a little bit of width and that’s the balance I’ve got to get right.”

Shearer believes Viduka’s contribution will be crucial against his former club.

The striker is assured a frosty reception from the sold out away allocation, but Shearer sees him as someone who is capable of making a decisive intervention in tonight’s ‘do or die’ contest.

“Mark is a very important player for us. I know we haven’t got time and it sounds silly, the more games he gets the better he will be,” he said.

“We’re hoping the games he has played will stand him in good stead and we’ll see a sharper and fitter Mark Viduka.”

Fucking hell.. I'm so nervous.... holy mac and cheese... or whatever.. damn...

this match is like the beginning of the end.. or the beginning of a lucky striiiiike... shit...

today's dilemma... see the match or not .... maybe I should just get drunk and go to sleep tonight, and take whatever will come tomorrow...

If Boro even get a draw I fancy them more to beat Villa than us to beat Fulham. Usually I'm optimistic leading up to matchday and it all comes crumbling down when we play, I could almost plot it on a graph.  I'm not feeling sick today, actually strangely calm. Think I'm on the 'acceptance' stage of grief. I'm getting my head around the fact we'll most likely be playing in the Championship and just awaiting the inevitable basically.  :no:

I'll probably get my hopes up again come kick-off, knowing my bipolar football side.