Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

Just looking at Lawrence today, it's about time one of our players pinged one in from range.

Well yeah, I just mean it's been bloody ages since we scored from a speculative smash at goal.

Cant actually remember the last goal scored by us from distance :(

Remember the days of Robert, Solano, Shearer, Ambrose.....

In our current squad half the players wouldn't reach the goal if they were more than 15 yards out.

Martins is basically the only player in our squad capable of smashing one in from 25+ yards.

When you consider this is a professional football team we're talking about it's beyond laughable.

Just looking at Lawrence today, it's about time one of our players pinged one in from range.

Well yeah, I just mean it's been bloody ages since we scored from a speculative smash at goal.

Not since the beginning of last season, Butt and Emre against Everton were both pearlers and obviously Charlie at Boro before that, the latter probably being the only "speculative smash" in there.

Guest palnese

Martins is basically the only player in our squad capable of smashing one in from 25+ yards.

When you consider this is a professional football team we're talking about it's beyond laughable.

Guthrie, Barton and Nolan have a decent shot imo

We're talking about with a ball, not a knee ligament

if they do I've yet to see any eveidence

Don't let us down you cunts. That means you Nicky Butt most of all.

I don't think Nicky Butt will let us down, it's the strikers and attacking midfielders I'll be watching closely.

We have attacking midfielders?  When did this happen?  Has anyone told Shearer?  I'm sure he'd like to know their names so he can add then to the team ahead of the cloggers currently playing there.

I don't think Nicky Butt will let us down, it's the strikers and attacking midfielders I'll be watching closely.

We have attacking midfielders?  When did this happen?  Has anyone told Shearer?  I'm sure he'd like to know their names so he can add then to the team ahead of the cloggers currently playing there.

Nacho Man will save us.

We should have spent the week building up some 'secret player' then, come monday, release big Ignacio Gonzalez on Boro telling him to run at everyone screaming. That would rattle them.

Alternatively, if he's any good, we could just play him normally.

Or we could just leave him out, he's probably shit.

We have attacking midfielders like Barton and Nolan. Some are better attacking staff at Macdonald's, some are better attacking a pint.

...and løvenkrands

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/298699/MICHAEL-OWEN-MUST-PLAY.html

MICHAEL OWEN MUST PLAY

Stats prove he is most clinical finisher in Premier League this season

MICHAEL OWEN - top gun

By TIM ALLAN, 09/05/2009

MICHAEL OWEN is the most clinical finisher in the Premier League this season.

That is the shock finding of new stats which reveal the Newcastle striker's incredible ratio of goals to shots ahead of tomorrow's vital relegation derby with Middlesbrough.

Owen has scored eight goals from just 27 shots this season - a strike rate of very nearly 30 per cent, which puts him way clear of players like Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney.

That strike rate makes it all the more surprising that Newcastle boss Alan Shearer dropped Owen for the 3-0 defeat to Liverpool last week.

Owen, 29, is likely to figure against Middlesbrough as boss Shearer searches for the first win of his managerial career.

Shearer said: "Michael's got a fantastic record for both club and country - he brings experience and an eye for goal that makes him invaluable.

"Whether you play him or not is a different matter, I think his experience is vital but I think he still has a lot to offer, even if that is from the bench as an impact player.

"I don't think it takes a genius to work out that Michael will score goals whatever team you put him in if you create chances.

"Michael's probably not as quick as he was when he started out, he'll tell you that himself. But you probably have to adjust as you get older, not just because of injury but because of age, and because of systems and because of what environment you are playing in.

"He still maintains ma great eye for goal that, in the right circumstances, can prove decisive. You have to adjust as you get older but that can bring out another side to your game and how you approach different situations.''

Gareth Southgate's Boro side have an unenviable record this season - the player who has taken the most shots but has still not scored.

That is England winger Stewart Downing, who has taken 59 shots this season without finding the target.

Boro have scored just 25 goals this season and will need to improve to beat Newcastle at St James' Park.

I've probably already done this but I'm bored so here it is again:

Harper

Beye         Colo      Bassong    Duff

Butt     Guthrie

Lovenkrands      Owen           Jonas

Viduka

Would look so much better with Barton in there ahead of Butt. :dave:

5-3.

Harps

Beye  Colo  Bassong  S Taylor

Geremi  Guthrie  Owen  Jonas

Carroll  Viduka

Martins on for the last 30, cant be started with his injury imo

this is better imho

I've probably already done this but I'm bored so here it is again:

Harper

Beye         Colo      Bassong    Duff

Butt     Guthrie

Lovenkrands      Owen           Jonas

Viduka

Would look so much better with Barton in there ahead of Butt. :dave:

5-3.

:lol:

yeah i'd settle for that.

Harps

Beye  Colo  Bassong  S Taylor

Geremi  Guthrie  Owen  Jonas

Carroll  Viduka

Martins on for the last 30, cant be started with his injury imo

this is better imho

:lol:

Just heard from a mate that they might be handing out black n white t shirts on every seat, bit like the cards, bit like Arsenal's last game at highbury, could be bollocks though.

I'm feeling nervous about it now, i really am.

I don't think I'll be able to watch on Monday. I mean, I obviously will, but it'll be bloody tough.

God, jesus, Allah.....whoever the fuck there is up there, just give us a win! Please! I will be so bloody happy if we win!

Its all I ask for- I beg of you!!!!!

TOON TOON!!!!

I'm feeling nervous about it now, i really am.

I don't think I'll be able to watch on Monday. I mean, I obviously will, but it'll be bloody tough.

God, jesus, Allah.....whoever the f*** there is up there, just give us a win! Please! I will be so bloody happy if we win!

Its all I ask for- I beg of you!!!!!

TOON TOON!!!!

I've been promising conversion to any religion of whoever's up there for a win. I started that against Man United. I'm thinking there isn't one.

Shearer's pre match talk, to be effective;

"Right I'm going to put this in terms you set of pricks can understand and that might motivate you.  Win today we are out of the bottom three and then have the chance to stay out, lose or draw and it's more or less over.  As most of you patently only care about money here goes: we stay up and you've a chance of staying at this club and the wages you're on, don't win and I'll do absolutely everything in my power to ship you all off at the earliest opportunity to whatever shithole will take you.  The club are already looking into the legal possibilities of cutting wages if we go down so it's in your hands - you like money, fucking do something about it."

Inspiring stuff!